2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 6:00 AM by Dave Merchant

How can you convert multiple PDF files at once to PDF/A-1b files

Herr Bobmeister

I support individuals who on occasion have to submit a mass of files to a court and the requirement is that the files be in PDF/A format. Most are scanned files lacking the requisite structure to become PDF/A-1a files. So as I convert or resave files, I need to be able to specify that they be converted to the PDF/A-1b standard. And since it may involve over 100 files, it would be very inefficient to do so individually, file by file. Could this be done via an Action Wizard sequence? Could a script be written in Java that go through such a process, specifically choosing a PDF/A standard? Any insights would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: How can you convert multiple PDF files at once to PDF/A-1b files
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Proper pdf/a can't be automated; it requires detailed page at a time validation by a skilled human.

• 2. Re: How can you convert multiple PDF files at once to PDF/A-1b files
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PDF/A-1a is very easy to automate in Acrobat XI Pro, indeed the compliance code was rewritten specifically with this in mind. Test Screen Name is correct that PDF/A-1b can't be realistically automated due to the complexity of tagging, but that's not your concern.

• In Acrobat XI Pro, create a new Action with no functional steps in it, then add the Save step.
            • Click 'Settings' and change the output format to "Export File(s) to Alternate Format"
            • Choose PDF/A from the list. It doesn't say so, but that's A-1b.
            • I suggest using the file renaming feature so you're not overwriting the originals (e.g. append "_A1B")
            • Save the Action and run it.

Files with security, distributed forms, etc. can't be converted but the Acrobat engineering team claim that everything which can possibly be shoehorned into PDF/A will always succeed. In previous versions of Acrobat it often failed when it encountered things like iffy XMP data.