4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 2:48 PM by bwelch007

Table of Contents - Bookmarking

bwelch007

Is it possible to create a Table of Contents (TOC) at the beginning of a form, then link from a TOC item to a place in the document in Forms Central?

We are creating quite a lengthy form & it would be helpful for users to be able to navigate, especially as page numbers are not supported...

If it matters, this will be a fillable .pdf, not housed online - we need the ability for a user to save & return to the document.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Table of Contents - Bookmarking
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

Using the tools in FormsCentral there isn't anything that would work like a TOC, but since you are going to distribute using a PDF you can edit the PDF and add buttons that link to pages, creating your own TOC.  You would have to create the actual Table of Contents yourself, you could either use tools in FormsCentral like the Formatted Text field if you can format the TOC in there, or create it in a Word document, convert to PDF and insert the PDF page into your form.

In order to add a page or edit your FormsCentral PDF form, you will need to "Save a Copy" (an option from the File menu) and then you can edit that copy.  After editing you can add the Reader enabled rights back to the PDF in Acrobat.

This is a tutorial I found on adding buttons for a TOC:  http://layersmagazine.com/create-navigation-buttons-in-acrobat.html

Once you have finished editing your PDF, since saving a copy removes the Reader Enabled rights in the PDF, you can re-enable those rights once you have made the changes you need (Enabling filling and saving form fields, Printing, and any other settings).

In Acrobat XI you would choose the following from the menus "Save as Other..." - "Reader Extended PDF" - "Enable More Tools (includes form fill-in & save)...":

Reader Enable.png

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,

Josh

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Table of Contents - Bookmarking
            bwelch007 Level 1

Hi Josh -

Thanks for the reply - I can get it linked up perfectly, but when I try to submit, I get a Javascript pop up box saying "please enter a value".

I don't have any fields set up to be required - any thoughts on what might cause that?

Thanks!

Beth

• 3. Re: Table of Contents - Bookmarking
              Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Did it have that alert before you edited the PDF? 

If you'd like to send the PDF to me at jcorey@adobe.com I can take a look at what is causing the alert

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Table of Contents - Bookmarking
                bwelch007 Level 1

Hi Josh - I tried it using a template & it worked, so it is something in my file. Tried again with my file & it worked - not sure what I did wrong the 1st time, but it was def user error!
                Thanks again for your help!