8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 3:41 AM by JJMack RSS

Differeces between CS6 and CC

scott-david-weaver Community Member

I downloaded CC version today, thinking it was going to upgrade/update CS6. Now I have both versions installed. I plan on removing CS6, assuming CC version is newer/better somehow. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
          pixelfinity Community Member

I always try to keep one vesion lower installed just as a backup, knowing that all my scripts, actions and Plug-ins work as they should.

There might be a day when there is a CC update and there is a conflict with something you have as an add-on. Law of averages / horrible luck, it will be the day you need the plug-in etc.

• 2. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
            ProDesignTools CommunityMVP

sdweavernm wrote:

Now I have both versions installed. I plan on removing CS6, assuming CC version is newer/better somehow. Any thoughts?

Well in terms of what's new and improved in CC, new features, etc, this version comparison should help:

What Are the Differences Between New Adobe CC vs. CS6?

If you want though, you can keep both releases on your same computer(s) indefinitely, and run either - or at least until you get going with the new release...  Or you can uninstall CS6, and CC will continue to work fine.

• 3. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
              ChasLaird Community Member

I plan to keep CS6 on my computer for as long as it will still function.  Should you ever decide to stop renting CC, you would still have CS6 with a perpetual license.

• 4. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
                JJMack CommunityMVP

Don't plain on being able open all your layered image files like psd template that you save in CC with CS6. There are bound to be some that new features were used and save with newer Photoshop thing that CS6 will not be able to support. The same goes for your RAW, Jpeg and Tiff files you used with Cloud ACR 8.1 and newer. CS6 ACR 8.1 is a dumbed down version and does not support some newer ACR setting in CC ACR 8.1.

The cloud is to death do you part which one come first your's or Adobe's

• 5. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
                  ChasLaird Community Member

I’m aware of the shortcomings of using an older version of Photoshop and was going to enumerate some of them but decided it would make my initial reply too long.  I’m merely suggesting that some fallback plan is better than nothing, and that there is no really good reason for uninstalling PS6.

The shortcomings can be mitigated some by saving layered PSD files from CC with Maximum Compatibility turned on which includes a flattened version of the file.  You should then still be able to open every PSD file you have with PS6 even though it might not understand some of the layers.  Also, I would still be able to use another raw converter (not my preference) or Lightroom (assuming it stays a perpetual license product) and then do anything I know how to do with PS6 like portrait retouching, replacing a background, removing an intrusive road sign, etc.

• 6. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
                    JJMack CommunityMVP

ChasLaird wrote:

The shortcomings can be mitigated some by saving layered PSD files from CC with Maximum Compatibility turned on which includes a flattened version of the file.  You should then still be able to open every PSD file you have with PS6 even though it might not understand some of the layers.  Also, I would still be able to use another raw converter (not my preference) or Lightroom (assuming it stays a perpetual license product) and then do anything I know how to do with PS6 like portrait retouching, replacing a background, removing an intrusive road sign, etc.

Yes if you willing to lose your work, rewrite you scripts, edit your actions and change your work-flow you'll do fine.  You can also avoid all that work and just keep using CS6.  Adobe state they will continue to support it.  Of course Adobe support is nothing to write home about or anything you can relie on.

• 7. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
                      ProDesignTools CommunityMVP

JJMack wrote:

Don't plan on being able open all your layered image files like psd template that you save in CC with CS6. There are bound to be some that new features were used and save with newer Photoshop thing that CS6 will not be able to support. The same goes for your RAW, Jpeg and Tiff files you used with Cloud ACR 8.1 and newer.

Perhaps helpful:

Can you open a Photoshop CC file in CS6?

Test: Moving files from Photoshop CC to CS5

• 8. Re: Differeces between CS6 and CC
                        JJMack CommunityMVP

The links confirm what I wrote and don't touch on Action and script the you have created for CC.

I do not knowingly walk into traps like CC.  There are only two ways out of CC the ligament way death and the priate way.  Myself I do not use stolen software knowingly.