4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 10:01 AM by Peter Truskier

Is it possible to build a .zxp installer containing multiple versions of a plug-in or extension?

Peter Truskier Level 3

I'd like to be able to include multiple versions of our InDesign plug-in in a single .zxp (e.g., one for InDesign CS6 and another for CC). Is that possible? I don't see how since the "version" attribute is on the root (<macromedia-extension>) element, but I I've seen some mention of this being possible, at least with Extensions?

Any help much appreciated.

--Peter

• 1. Re: Is it possible to build a .zxp installer containing multiple versions of a plug-in or extension?
          Carl Sun Level 4

The following is an example mxi file:

<macromedia-extension

name="ExtensionTest"

version="1.0.0"

id="com.abc.IDTest">

<author name="abc" />

<products>

<product name="InDesign" version="8" maxversion="8.9" />

<product familyname="InDesign" version="9" />

</products>

<description>

</description>

<ui-access>

</ui-access>

<license-agreement/>

<files>

<file source="Plugin1.apln" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins" platform="win" minVersion="8" maxVersion="8.9" />

<file source="Plugin2.InDesignPlugin" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins" platform="mac" minVersion="8" maxVersion="8.9" />

<file source="Plugin3.apln" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins" platform="win" minVersion="9" />

<file source="Plugin4.InDesignPlugin" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins" platform="mac" minVersion="9" />

</files>

</macromedia-extension>

• 2. Re: Is it possible to build a .zxp installer containing multiple versions of a plug-in or extension?
            Peter Truskier Level 3

Hi Carl,

That's great. In reading the documentation, I must have missed the fact the "minVersion" and "maxVersion" may be attributes on a <file> element as well as the <product> element. Does it say that somewhere?

On a related note, I am having no luck at all in getting my plug-in files installed in the proper InDesign application directory on a 64-bit Windows machine which has both 32- and 64-bit versions of InDesign installed. Despite having defined the "bit" attribute in each file element properly (I *think*), e.g.:

<file source="MyPlugIn.pln" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/MyPlugIn" platform="win" bit="32" file-type="plugin" folder="content" />

<file source="MyPlugIn_x64.pln" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/MyPlugIn" platform="win" bit="64" file-type="plugin" folder="content" />

All of the files and folders identified as "platform='win'" end up installed in the 32-bit InDesign plug-ins folder, regardless of the value of the "bit' attribute. Nothing gets installed in the 64-bit version.

Apparently,  the macro "$InDesign" does not work for a file element whose "bit" attribute is set to "64". Since this is the first 64-bit Windows version of InDesign, and the Extension Manager CC Configuration Reference is apparently unavailable as yet, I took a guess based on the way that the paths to the Illustrator and Photoshop directories were specified in CS6. I.e., I tried "$InDesign64" for the 64-bit version, but that did not seem to work.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your patience...

--pt

• 3. Re: Is it possible to build a .zxp installer containing multiple versions of a plug-in or extension?
              Carl Sun Level 4

The "minVersion" and "maxVersion" is mentioned in page 14 of http://www.adobe.com/go/em_file_format.

There is never "bit" attribute for the "file" tag. Also the "folder" is an undocumented attribute. They are ignored in Extension Manager CC.

you can use "products" attribute to achieve this.

<file source="MyPlugIn.pln" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/MyPlugIn" platform="win" file-type="plugin" products="InDesign" />

<file source="MyPlugIn_x64.pln" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/MyPlugIn" platform="win" file-type="plugin" products="InDesign64" />