8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 1:14 PM by tavmed

After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences

tavmed Level 1

Just started using the new AE CC (v12 as Adobe will not refer to it as) I noticed one thing that seems to work differently from CS6 and that is in the preferences for import Sequence footage settings.  It doesn't seem to work normally, at least for me.  I don't know if this is an issue related to how AE CC works with the cloud but the dfault frame rate for sequence footage importing is 30fps.  I am trying to import footage that is natively 23.97 at 24 fps.  So like in CS6 I go to Preferences - Import - Sequence Footage - frame per second and change it from 30 to 24 frames per second.  Closed the software, opened it back up, checked the settings and saw that they took, it still says 24 frames per second like I told it.  But when I import a piece of 23.976 footage, it comes in at 23.976 as opposed to the 24 fps I set it as.  Same goes for 30 fps footage, it comes in at 30 fps and not 24.  User error is always my first assumption, I'm not proud i just want it to work, am I doing something wrong or just confused?  Thanks for any help.  p.s.  help is not someone responding with, "I don't know" or "I don't have AECC yet".  I know somebody is going to!

• 1. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

What is the file format of the footage you are using?

The Import > Sequence Footage  preferences only apply to sequences of still image files. (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, Targa, PSD, etc.) If you imported a movie file format (MOV, AVI, H.264, etc.), this setting does not apply. This is how this setting has always worked in AE; this behavior has not changed in AE CC.

You can change the frame rate of an individual file in the Interpret Footage dialog (right-click on the file in the Project panel).

• 2. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences
            tavmed Level 1

Hi Tim,

WOW!  Thanks for the super-fast reply!  As soon as I posted this I realised I should have mentioned that I am importing DPX files.  I do import quicktimes as well but know that the footage import does not apply to a single file, only a sequence of files.  But I still wonder if I may be either doing something wrong or am just a little confused.  I have been using After Effects since CS3 doing compositing for film and I always use DPX sequences.  I did a bunch of comparing and back and forth with AE CS6 and AECC while trying to figure this out.  I always set my preferences up when I upgrade before I start working and I always set them up the same.  I have been using CS6 since last July and it still works the same.  What I did is imported five or six different DPX sequences, some were rendered out as 24 fps, some at 30 and some at 23.976.  Assuming AE looks at the metadata to decide how to auto interpret, AE CC opened them all at their native frame rates of the just mentioned 24, 30 and 23.976 respectively, even though I told it to import at 24fps in the preferences.  I also imported the same files in AE CS6 and they all opened at 24 fps like always.  I know I can change the frame rate in the "Interpret footage" option, that is what I have been doing today so that I can work with footage in 24fps but since I have it set in the preferences to import image sequences at 24fps, I am perplexed as to why it does not do so, so I do not have to interpret the footage to my preferred frame rate, as is the case in AE CS6 as well as it was in CS 5.5 and CS 3.  Since I was lucky enough to have an Adobe employee chime in Tim, I would be curious to see what you may find if you recreated this scenario.  Would it be possible for you or someone at Adobe to set the sequence footage import frame rate to 24 fps in the preferences then try to open a piece of footage that is natively 23.976 fps in both AE CS6 and AE CC?  Like I said, I certainly beleive I may be doing something wrong but I would be very curious to see what you find on your side.  I would not be suprised if it imported at 24 fps in AE CS6 and 23.976 fps in AE CC.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences

What application wrote your DPX files, and how long are the sequences?

DPX is a special case because it can contain framerate data. AE will prioritize the embedded framerate value over the preference.

In AE CC we fixed a bug that would cause AE to use the wrong framerate in certain circumstances when the DPX sequence does not specify a framerate. The fix for this is what is causing the difference in behavior you see between AE CS6 and CC.

When framerate data is not present in DPX, AE CC will now compare the timecode values in the first and last frames of the sequence and attempt to guess a framerate. Assuming that it has confidence in that value, it will use it, and if it doesn't have confidence it will use the value in the Import preferences.

The net result is that AE CC will first use the framerate specified in the DPX files, will guess at the framerate if it is not specified, and will use the preference only if it has low confidence in its guess.

If you want to force AE to use a specific framerate for all DPX sequences, you can edit the Interpretation Rules.txt file. For 24fps, add the following line:

*, *, *, "sDPX", * = *, *, 24, *, *, *

More information about the Interpretation Rules.txt file is in Help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f86 a.html#WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f82a

• 4. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences
                tavmed Level 1

Hi Tim,  Thanks for the info.  In answer to your question about what software was used to create the DPX files, some of the DPX image sequences were created by After Effects CS6 and I am almost certain the others were created by Nuke.  Everything you explained made perfect sense.  I went to edit the Rules.txt file and unfortunately was not able to find it.  I found it in CS3 and CS 5.5 but could not locate it in CS6 or AE CC.   Here is what I saw,,,  When I go to my Adobe CS3 folder, I find "Adobe After Effects CS3" and click on it and see it's contents which include the actual program along with Plugins folder, scripts, Legal Templates etc. as well as the interpretation rules.txt.  This is the same for CS 5.  However if I click on the After Effects CS6 folder I see everything but the interpretation rules.txt.  The same is true for the Adobe After Effects CC folder.  I searched all the folders inside to see if I could find what may be the equal perhaps with a different name but had no luck.  Does this option still exist in AE CC?  By the way I am on a Mac if that makes a difference, running OSX 10.8.4.

• 5. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences

The Interperetation Rules.txt file lives in your user preferences folder:

<drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects 12.0

Note that as of Mac 10.7, the user Library folder is hidden by default. Instructions for accessing that folder are here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-f iles.html

(Alternately, AE CC has a new Reveal Preferences In Finder button in Preferences > General that will take you to the preferences folder directly.)

The Interpretation Rules.txt file was moved from the application folder to the preferences folder in After Effects CS5.5. This was because Mac OS and Windows have changed the security rules for writing to files in the applications directory.

• 6. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences
                    tavmed Level 1

Brilliant!  Many thanks Tim.  It worked on the first try.  That never happens for me.  For anyone else looking into this, I am uncertain if it matters exactlty where you paste this line of code but what I did was open the "Interpretation Rules.txt, did a search for "DPX" which resulted in 2 instances.  I went to the second one under:

# soft rule: tag all Cineon files for now with Working RGB

*, *, *, "sDPX", * ~ *, *, *, *, "wRGB", *

and added the new line under that so now it looks like this...

# soft rule: tag all Cineon files for now with Working RGB

*, *, *, "sDPX", * ~ *, *, *, *, "wRGB", *

when I opened AE CC and imported any DPX sequence, it automatically interpreted it as 24 fps.  One less step to make

I don't want to press my luck because you have already been so helpful but there is one more thing I was wondering about in the same category and that was, Is there anyway to edit this file so that a DPX sequence is autopmatically upon import, interpreted as Anamorphic 2:1 (2)?

Again Thank you for helping me on this Tim.

• 7. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences

I am uncertain if it matters exactlty where you paste this line of code

It does not matter where it is. Best practice is generally to add it to the end of the document, though note that when rules conflict the later (lower) one takes precedence. It's also good practice to provide a descriptive comment for each line (# symbol defines a line as a non-operative comment). I should have suggested that, so in retrospect what I recommend you do is copy and paste the following to the end of the document (and delete what you previously added):

#Forces all DPX sequences to be 24fps

Is there anyway to edit this file so that a DPX sequence is autopmatically upon import, interpreted as Anamorphic 2:1 (2)?

Yes. I won't go into a full tutorial here, as the instructions for using the Interpretation Rules.txt file are at the top of the file itself, but you would simply define a rule to set the pixel aspect ratio for DPX files. You could modify the existing rule we've created as such:

#Forces all DPX sequences to be 24fps and 2.0 PAR

*, *, *, "sDPX", * = 2/1, *, 24, *, *, *

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: After Effects CC import "Sequence Footage" frame rate settings in "Import" preferences
                        tavmed Level 1

Thank you Tim,  this is great stuff to know about.  It will come in useful for all kinds of stuff.

Clyde