26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2015 4:52 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Raycoteknik Community Member

After importing 21 Cineform .avi files to Prem Elements11, 4 of them showed up in the Project Assets at the wrong duration. For example, a 9'33'' length clip appeared as 2'24''. In each case, roughly the first quarter of the clip is there, but the remaining three quarters is gone.

Is anyone aware of a fix for this?

Cineform .avi files are created by the Cineform Studio software supplied with GoPro cameras. Prem Elements can handle the camera's raw MP4 files fine, but the Cineform software is essential for flipping clips recorded when the camera is upside down.

As an alternative, could anyone recommend a file converter that can flip GoPro raw MP4 in batches and convert them to a file format that Prem Elements can handle?

In my case, the original GoPro footage was recorded at 1280x720 and 50fps. In Cineform Studio, I flipped the clip and output it to .avi at 1280x720 and 50fps in high quality. I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Raycoteknik

How are you importing these Cineform.avi into Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit?

What did you or the program set as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset? If you do not know, please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Did you find

PAL

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p50

If not, please set the project preset with this choice yourself via File Menu/New/Project with a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on thsi project before exiting the new project dialog. Then in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, import your video.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Thanks for the reply. I'm importing them using Add Media/Files and folders from a location on my hard drive.

I've tried a few different project settings, including the one that you suggested, but the result is always the same. The raw footage imports fine at 9'33'' but the Cineform .avi always imports at 2'24''

• 3. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

I thought I would work around this problem by cutting up the raw footage into smaller clips in Cineform and creating shorter .avi files for importing into Elements. This was the result:

File 1 (9'33")

On importing Cineform .avi to Elements, file = 2'24" 

File 1 split into 2 (3'18" and 6'15")

On importing Cineform .avi to Elements, files = 3'18" and 6'15"

File 2 (10'33")

.avi to Elements = 3'23"

File 2 split (3'22" and 7'10")

.avi to Elements = 3'22" and 0'01"

File 3 (8'19")

.avi to Elements = 1'09"

File 3 split (3'01" and 5'17")

.avi to Elements = 3'01" and 5'17"

File 4 (10'38")

.avi to Elements = 3'29"

File 4 split (2'44" and 7'55")

.avi to Elements = 2'44" and 0'45"

So, File 1 and File 3 worked out but not the other two. Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to make GoPro footage play nice with Adobe?

• 4. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Raycoteknik

It would appear that somewhere between 7 minutes 10 seconds and 7 minutes 55 seconds is where your issue starts.

Please go back and translate all the minutes seconds per file into file size for each file and its split clips.

You wrote:

I'm importing them using Add Media/Files and folders from a location on my hard drive.

Where is that hard drive save location?

I have found one case back in 2010 with CineForm NeoScene that goes to what sounds like your issue, but in Premiere Pro CS4. Unfortunately there is no reply to that thread.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/905642

ATR

• 5. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

It would appear that somewhere between 7 minutes 10 seconds and 7 minutes 55 seconds is where your issue starts.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Please go back and translate all the minutes seconds per file into file size for each file and its split clips.

The original .avi file sizes that Cineform studio created were:

File 1: 4,434,177 KB

File 2: 6,075,626

File 3: 4,403,352

File 4: 6,288,505

You can see the size and duration of the split files here:

1.JPG

Where is that hard drive save location?

It's a local folder on my D: drive.

D:\Videos\GoPro\2013\02 Feb\Niseko\01 mon\Cineform Conversions avi

I have found one case back in 2010 with CineForm NeoScene that goes to what sounds like your issue, but in Premiere Pro CS4. Unfortunately there is no reply to that thread.

I've found a similar case, too: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5416298#5416298

• 6. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration
                    the_wine_snob Community Member

There have been several posts regarding a truncated Duration on Imported files, with but a few having been Cineform files. Most came from other sources. Also, I see more of this in the PrPro forum.

As I mentioned in the thread that you linked to, I have seen such (not Cineform files, though), in PrPro. My solution was to Import the problem files into PrE (I was using PrE 4.0 back then), then just Exporting/Sharing from PrE, in the same format (DV-AVI in my case), and that output file would then work perfectly in PrPro. In my case, PrE was used to "convert" the offending files, for use in PrPro, so it was my answer.

Not sure what is happening with the Cineform files and PrE, but a few others have reported issues with truncated Duration, but in PrPro.

I hope that ATR and you can track down the issue, and can find a solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Raycoteknik

You asked for clarification on what I wrote regarding

It would appear that somewhere between 7 minutes 10 seconds and 7 minutes 55 seconds is where your issue starts

Please disregard, that should have reflected somewhere between 6 minutes and 15 seconds (2.90 GB) and sometime before 7 minutes 10 seconds (4.25 GB).

What is the format of the D drive and what drive formats are represented on your computer....all NTFS or FAT32?

Everything would fall into place if FAT and the AVI File Size Limits were involved

http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html

If not, then we need to think on.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Thanks very much.

Your suggestion is the one I'm working with at the moment, but it's a slow process.

• 9. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

The format is NTFS. Actually, Elements and Cineform are both installed on the C: drive and the video files are all on the D: drive. Both drives are NTFS.

• 10. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

GoPro Technical Support have given me a custom file importer that they make for Premiere Pro that they said fixes the issue. They've suggested that I try it with Elements, and told me to copy it to Elements' plug-in folder. I'm trying to do this, but I'm not sure if I'm copying it to the correct location. Anyway, it hasn't worked so far. Is it possible to add plug-ins to Elements?

• 11. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Raycoteknik

Did GoPro Support tell you the specifics of what it is fixing with this custom file importer.

Is it a problem inherent in avi files beyond 4 GB whether NTSC or FAT32 is involved?

Back to plug-ins for Premiere Elements 11....please look at

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Plug-ins

and putting this custom file importer plug-in into the Common or the en_US Folder in the Plug-ins Folder.

If that does not work, see if you can find out what the route is in Premiere Pro.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

BOOM! Works! Thanks!

This is the file that GoPro gave me: http://software.gopro.com/PC/CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm

And this is where I copied it to:

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Plug-ins

Common

At first I overlooked the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 folder because it's purple and looks like an application file, rather than a regular folder. All 4 files are now importing at the correct duration. They didn't say what caused it, but I've asked, so I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Thanks ATR, for all the support getting things working properly. Much obliged!

• 13. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Raycoteknik

You cannot imagine how excited I am for your success. Congratulations, great job.

Your determination resulted in a major contribution to Premiere Elements and those who find themselves in a similar situation as yours.

Not enough marvelous and great to describe how pleased I am for your success.

ATR

• 14. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Great news.

I have bookmarked the Cineform link, and will share that with others, who have similar problems.

Thanks for reporting your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Just heard back from GoPro. They said it isn't to do with the hard drive file system. It's more codec related.

• 16. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

The update is appreciated.

Thank you, and continued good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration
                                          laurelgr Community Member

I am having this same problem. I downloaded the plug in and placed it in the same folder as described in this post. My AVI files from GO PRO are still being truncated from just over 17 mins to just over 3 mins (it varies depending on the length of the clip imported). It is very frustrating (partially because of all the other issues I'm having with GoPro and PE). Does anyone have updates on this issue?  I'm using a GOPRO Hero 3+ Black, PC laptop with Windows 7 and Adobe Premiere Elements 12.  I can provide more info, I'm just not sure what all will help. Thanks!

• 18. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

laurelgr

Please double check Raycoteknik's post 12. Did you use the file that he posted for download and that exact path for the placement of the file?

If so, it might be a good idea to contact GoPro customer service from whom he received this file to determine if there is better information.

I have not run into any updates on the matter.

Is the Cineform.avi the output from the GoPro or an conversion of the original GoPro output? From what I have read the GoPro is recording and giving you H.264.mp4. If so, what happens when you import the footage directly as H.264.mp4? And, if you have the Cineform codec installed, it should be appearing as a video codec choice in Publish+Share/Computer/AVI under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of Presets. If this is a consideration, I will give you more details about import H.264.mp4 and export Cineform.avi to see is that is a grand plan or dud.

ATR

• 19. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration
                                              laurelgr Community Member

Yes I used that same file and placed it in the same folder. I contacted GoPro via phone and they said they would "never" supply a file like that (I couldn't come up with the link during our discussion) and were completely unhelpful (for example, he said nobody has EVER reported this issue to them and I should contact Adobe). I have also sent a request via email (to GoPro) in the hopes that it will get routed to someone at GoPro that can help with this issue.

The AVI files are output from the GoPro software (GoPro Studio) which they recommend if you are exporting videos for editing in external software (for example, one reason to do it is if there is a fisheye effect, which apparently the conversion from .mp4 to .avi partially solves?). Yes, the GoPro is recording files in .mp4 format. I have added the ,MP4 formats directly to PE and it "sort of" works but my most recent issue with doing that is that all of a sudden the audio track magically is empty (it didn't do that before and it wasn't my original issue with trying that route with directly importing the .MP4 files, it is a new issue. My original issue (if I ignore the huge fisheye effect) is that the resolution is generally sub-par even after rendering the .MP4 files.

Yes, the Codec is showing up when I look for it in the Export settings (under AVI as you said: It reads: GoPro-CineForm Codec (x64) v8.6.3.

• 20. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

laurelgr

With all of us not being able to get back into adobe.com or the forums, I started to write replies in Microsoft Word so that I could copy/paste further comments the minute Adobe got things working again. The following is what I got done so far...

The Cineform.avi issue is a known one which is not unique to Premiere Elements.  The extent of my information on this problem and are detailed in this thread. GoPro’s denial about working with that user is not understood. It was a good idea to seek a second opinion from GoPro.

I would encourage you to try to import the video (.mp4) direct from the camera rather than go the conversion to Cineform.avi. If you want to export your .mp4 Timeline to Cineform.avi, that is another matter.

Considerations...

Your project settings and export settings may be factors in your report of “sub-par” .mp4 files in Premiere Elements. When you talk about “even after rendering the .MP4 files”, are you referring to render as in Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview or render as in the export sense of the word?

Here we should make sure we are OK with project preset versus properties of the source media, H.264.mp4. Are you letting the program automatically set the project preset based on the properties of the source media. If so, don’t. Set the project preset manually. The following link gives the general how to for a manual setting of the project preset.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

You may be working with a 1080i30 project preset if you are letting the program make the call. We could discuss how to edit HD 4:3 footage in Premiere Elements with all the HD sets 16:9.

As for the fisheye effect correction. True, you cannot do that in Premiere Elements. But there are programs that can, including many versions of Photoshop.. Have you read the following thread

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1282151

What you  want to do with the Timeline...edit the 960p and export it as what...960p or other, with or without the fisheye?

At another forum I worked with a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 user and his GoPro footage (he loved 960p) and got magnificient results.

I will be traveling until this coming Monday afternoon. I will try to check into the threads daily, but my replies may not be delayed somewhat. Hope not.

More later.

ATR

• 21. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration
                                                  PeteB2407 Community Member

Bit of an old thread this, but I'm someone else who's suffering from GoPro Cineform AVI files being truncated on import.

Source is from GoPro Hero3 converted using GoPro Studio 2.5 to AVI and importing into Adobe Premier Pro CS6.0 on W7 64-bit

Files show the correct length in Windows and in Media Player. Importing into either Premier Pro or Lightroom and the file is truncated.

Presumably to do with the 2GB limit the GoPro splits it's MP4 files at about the 11 minute mark. I've not proved it conclusively yet but it does look like any file MP4 that's less than 11 minutes and isn't split imports correctly. I'm concluding therefore that something about how GoPro/Cineform handles the split is causing something to get into a state that means Adobe isn't interpreting the length correctly. However, if it was as simple and common as that I'd expect to see a lot more about it on the Web.

Since this post was last updated has anyone advanced our understanding of the problem or it's solution ?

Cheers

Pete

• 22. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Pete

No further news on this matter as of June 18, 2015.

As far Raycoleknik was concerned the link provided by GoPro worked. See thread details in prior posts in this thread. And, in post 12, he posted that the link that he was sharing was from GoPro. If you click on it, even today, you get a download box for CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm. I have not tried to save the file today.

A user who entered this thread later says that GoPro denied all knowledge of such a link and said that the fix did not work.

You might want to contact GoPro and find out what its stance is today regarding the CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm.

ATR

• 23. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

ATR - Thanks for reply.

I've advanced a little and will update this thread for the benefit of those to come.

I had investigated the CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm, I could get it and install it but investigation revealed it was already on my system. I'll keep fiddling as the exact location to place the file can be difficult to pin down. I know there are instructions but none of the advised directory structures look exactly like mine.

What I have confirmed is that the 'duration issue' seems restricted to those MP4 files that the GoPro has split into multiple files (happens automatically when the 2GB file limit is reached) and I've trimmed before I converted. If I take the original file and convert with no edits at all everything seems to work as expected.

That gives me a work around but I'd still like to solve the basic problem. At the moment I can't establish if there is something specific to my, and a relatively small number of others, system or whether very few people editing GoPro/Cineform footage happen to use Premiere Pro.

I'll keep on looking !

Cheers

• 24. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Pete

Thanks for the update.

But, please clarify. At this time, is any version of Premiere Elements involved in your particular issue?

Since this is the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum and if you are working with Premiere Pro, it would be to your advantage to pursue this in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum where those there can assist in finding where folders and files should and should not be placed for Premiere Pro on your computer hard drive.

Premiere Pro

I will continue to follow your progress wherever.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

ATR - Thanks !

No, Elements isn't involved at all in my problem. Apologies, I'm a long term Premier user and keep forgetting that Adobe introduced the 'Elements' version that's substantially different.

I'll switch forums pronto !

Cheers

• 26. Re: Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

Pete

Thanks for the reply.

Glad you asked about cineform.avi wherever. Interesting situation. But, not to take anything for granted, best to cut out the variable of different programs from the problem equation. Maybe the same with either, may not be.

Best wishes

ATR