24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2013 2:50 PM by stevengotts RSS

premiere cc. too many problems

stevengotts Community Member

32 gb ram.  1TB raptor HDD I7 gTX 650. Win 8 64

Im opening a cs6 dynamic link.

1 Forcing me to change both premiere and ae filenames breaks the dynamic link for my 10 clips

2.Premiere forces me to change all my scratch disc locations to default each time I open the program

3. I must logn in and sign adobe tos everytime I start up.

4. in cs6 I could run a red timeline in realtime at 1/4, now it stutters and locks up on the same file.

5. cs6 ran superfast with very few issues, what am I doing wrong?

Ive had nothing but problems and 0 joy so far from premire cc

Any Suggestions?

• 1. Re: premiere cc. too many problems
          lostmile Community Member

that sucks.

I'm running a core i7 2600k, 32gb ram, geforce gtx 680, 256gb samsung 840 ssd with a 1tb raptor scratch and additional less used stuff dumped on a 2tb storage drive on win 8 64bit as well and have had zero issues with premiere cc except that I can't get filenames to showup on my audio files in the timeline.

Super fast otherwise, but I did a clean install using iobit uninstaller to wipe my pc of all things adobe first.

• 2. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

lostmile

thanks, you give me hope. Maybe the conversion from a cs6 file in a dynamic link is a major problem. I guess I should try creating a new project in cc before I complain to much. Thanks for your input.

• 3. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

it's not without problems my friend, haha.

I have some issues with it and myself, was on hold with adobe for 2 hours figuring some stuff out so complain away.

I really hope I don't have these dynamic link issues because manually opening a bunch of ae files to upgrade them as well is going to cause me nothing but problems.

• 4. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

with the dynamic link so far what Im attepting is to allow a convert/rename of the premiere project....and on the ae side I convert but then "save as" the cs filename. since all the ae refrences are in the same ae project, it seems to keep the refrence in tact for all the ae compesitions that the premiere timeline refrences. so maybe Im gonna pull out of this nosedive.

• 5. Re: premiere cc. too many problems
                  Steven L. Gotz Community Member

I swear that every time I see your name I do a doubletake.

You should not have to log in more than once. That is all I had to do. Perhaps your firewall is causing a problem?

How does it force you to change the scratch disk locations to the default? What is the message exactly?

I have noticed no speed differences. In fact, I just produced a quick Copy Attributes tutorial and did the same thing in CS6 and in CC. Seemed the same to me.

• 6. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Steven L Gotz

even more, my middle initial is L. for Lynn. The loggiing in has ceased since I changed my file names and I suspect the reloging was I never completed the cycle. so I think im good to go now except I cant seem to playback a "red " Timeline smoothly as in cs6. but maybe thatll settle down too as I play with configuration. Thanks for your assistance again.

All the best

Steven L Gotts

• 7. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

My "L" is for "Lawrence".

It appears that exporting through the AME (which I seldom do) is the same speed in CC. I have seen reports that it wasn't. However, they seem to be false.

In CC I just exported a 34 second timeline to my usual YouTube settings in 39 seconds. I tried the exact same timeline in CS6 and came out exactly the same within statistical limits. (Human response time on the stopwatch caused a half second difference in CC's favor the first time and about the same in the other direction the second time I did the comparison.)

By the way, did you remember to set up CC to use hardware acceleration? I had to go back in and apply the workaround (delete the cuda card file) and I have a very popular card (GTX670). You would think they would get off their tails and test that one.

• 8. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Wait, I shouldn't use gpu acceleration?

• 9. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Yes, you should use GPU acceleration (that is what I meant by hardware - sorry).

But I had to set mine up again when I upgraded to CC using the infamous "hack".

• 10. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

yes, i remember that.

CC at least had my 680 by default this time.

• 11. Re: premiere cc. too many problems
                              JSS1138 Community Member

I had to go back in and apply the workaround (delete the cuda card file)

You actually don't with PP CC.  The option is never grayed out.  But if you enable it without a compatible card, you'll get a warning telling you it's not a compatible card.  Click OK and it turns on anyway.

• 12. Re: premiere cc. too many problems
                                joshweiland Community Member

Jim is correct...you no longer have to hack!

• 13. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Oh. OK.

I just figured it was the same old same old and deleted the file. I actually wrote a batch file to do the job for CS6. Remember batch files? Every time an update would come out I had the problem. So after the second time I wrote the batch file and the shortcut sits in my "Tech Tools" folder on my desktop.

• 14. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

I actually wrote a batch file to do the job for CS6.

+1 for nerdy awesomeness!

• 15. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Steven tz

In cs6 I loaded a hack script. I only have a gtx 650 but it worked well in cs6. Could you please instruct me how to alter the cuda settings. this could be why the red timelne no longer runs in near realtime. PLEASE! Thank you. In answer to the previous reverting to default. cc would not accept my cs6 files settings after conversion and reset to cc default sttings for scratch disks etc. so when I  tried to remedy the filename change on conversion....somehow my changes werent remebered. But I feel Im good now except for i think the cuda thing, I see in this post I no longer need to hack. hmm I must be configured wrong.

thanks

Steven ts

• 16. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

In Premiere CC, go to File-->Project Settings-->General.  In "Renderer", select MPE GPU Acceleration (CUDA).  I think you might receive a warning that your GPU is not officially supported, but choose to select it anyways.

• 17. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

josh

Thanks, I did that, but im not getting 1/4 the timeline playback i did with the same timeline in cs6. ran almost realtime in cs6 with a timeline of ae dynamic links with lots of plugins like boris, red giant and video copilot. in cc I need to render the timeline to even preview/play it back like in the bad old days of premiere. Imwonderingif something got lost in the file conversion between 6 and cc.Im puzzled, but thats easy for me to do.

update:

Makes absolutely no diffrenence GPU or software playback. The audio plays fine. i guess its back to cs6 or Sony for me

All the best

Steven Gotts

• 18. Re: premiere cc. too many problems
                                            JSS1138 Community Member

There are reports of older projects slowing down in CC7.  Test it with a new project.

• 19. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Jim

Thanks, Its good to hear Im not the only one. Maybe ill finish the project in cs6  and stat fresh in cc. it was probly my bad for switching mid project

thanks

steven gotts

• 20. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Apparently the hack is no longer required, but there are two ways to hack the file. One is to change it. The other is to simply delete it. Then I get no error message and everything works fine.

• 21. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Thanks Steven im suspecting that maybe the coveted file is the problem and it maybe contains legacy "gpu not supported" info. where would I find this gpu file? As Im not near being a video "rocket scientist". I think ill be out of the woods when I start a new project in cc. The legacy file is the issue im hoping.

thanks

Steven

• 22. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

I doubt it will help from what has been said before, but it certainly can't hurt, so....

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC\cuda_supported_cards.txt

• 23. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

The only other thing I can think of is the communication between CC and CS6 programs/files.  When you opened your PPro CS6 project file in PPro CC, it was converted to a PPro CC project file.  However, all of your dynamically-linked After Effects comps are still AE CS6 project files.

I would open every AE CS6 project file in AE CC, which will convert it to a AE CC project file.  Save the converted project to a new filename.  Then, relink all the linked AE projects in your PPro CC project to point to the new AE CC project files.

This way, your PPro CC project will be linked to AE CC project files.  There might be additional overhead when linking a PPro CC project with AE CS6 project files, which might explain the performance issues you mention.

• 24. Re: premiere cc. too many problems

Josh

When I opened the cs6 file in cc it converted and saved as *-1. When I edited original in the linked comp ae wanted to do the same , but instead I saved the converted file as the origanal filename which allowed me to keep the same link refrence. I have the cs project backed up and will complrete it in cs6. any new project will start in cc as I agree, conversion brings baggage that slows something down. Im good using cs6 to comeplete the project. Thanks go out to Josh, Steven, Jim and anyone else, that took time out to assist me in this matter. Im good on this now.

All the best

Steven Gotts