14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 11:08 PM by DM50000

Help with recreating image

DM50000

Hi, I'm relatively new to photoshop but I'm trying to recreate a similar image to the one below. Basically our web designers created this background image and then lost the files. As they've now signed off on the job (with a placeholder background image), I'm trying to recreate the old one below.

From my observation, I think theres a layer of stars at the back, followed by a layer of nebula texture, and then the planet on top of that.  I've created something vaguely similar with images that I've found, but I'm having trouble getting the nice old grainey feel. I'm using CS6, but the "add noise" filter doesn't seem to create the same effect. I've also just purchased OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 7, and I'm currently getting to know my way around those filters. Are these considered a good suite of plugins?

I'm also having a bit of trouble getting the colour right... think that the background stars are a different colour to the nebula layer, does that sound right? And how woulld I go about identifying the exact brown/orange colour? Also the dark shading looks great I think and I'm struggling to recreate this as well.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to recreate this background image i'd be really grateful!

I'm using a MacPro running 0SX 10.6.8, with PhotoShop CS 6 & OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 7.

Thanks in advance!!!

Cropped Moon Zero image.jpg

• 1. Re: Help with recreating image
          DM50000 Level 1

Perhaps i should put this in the beginners section?

• 2. Re: Help with recreating image
            DM50000 Level 1

bump...

• 3. Re: Help with recreating image
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

What do you have by way of the image elements?  It sounds like you don't have the background, but do you have the inset images and the head in the bottom left corner?  I am not sure what you could do if you don't have those images.  What sort of resolution will you need?  You said web, so I assume nothing huge?

• 4. Re: Help with recreating image
                DM50000 Level 1

Hi thanks for the reply! yeah the inset images and text are part of the site itself and are not a problem.

Its just the orangey/brown grainey space background image that I'm trying to recreate. I don't have any of the elements from that but I've managed to find some similar star scapes and nebulae cloud images. What I'm trying to figure out is how to create that sort of dark vintage grainey effect and shading without it looking to obviously "photoshop"...

It looks more like something from a 60s/70s comic or sci fi album cover design....

• 5. Re: Help with recreating image
                  DM50000 Level 1

The other reference I can give for the effect I'm trying to achieve is this album cover:

Flying Lotus.jpeg

• 6. Re: Help with recreating image
                    DM50000 Level 1

In terms of resolution, the file size can't be too big because its the background image for the whole site. The dimensions are 2560x1440.

• 7. Re: Help with recreating image
                      DM50000 Level 1

Bump

• 8. Re: Help with recreating image

So you just need to know how to achieve the colouration?   Load your original image, and duplicate the background layer.  You need to find the average colour, which is enough with Filter > Blur > Average, but you really need to take out those inset images or they will mess up your result.

Actually, I just had another look, and the color cast covers the entire image. 

OK, open your _new_ image, and add the original image as a layer above it.  Use Filter > Blur > Average, and then Free Transform it to fill the frame.

Set the blend mode for this layer to Color and dial down opacity to suite.

Here's another way.

Find the average of your original image, and sample it to make it your foreground colour.

Open your new image, and then a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer above it.

Click on Colorize.

The Hue slider will jump to the foreground colour.  You can play with Saturation and Lightness sliders to fine tune.

A quick and dirty color correction trick.

Open an image with a rubbish white balance.

Copy the BG layer and average it.

Invert the averaged layer (Ctrl i or Cmd i)

Change its blend mode to Color, and bring down its opacity until it looks right.

This last one would work for the person who wanted to fix scanned colour negatives.

OK so is that what you needed?   I just a look at your OP and you are asking about the stars.  Easiest way is to go find some star brushes like these or google a tutorial or two like this

• 9. Re: Help with recreating image
                          DM50000 Level 1

Thanks heaps, that will help me match the colour which I was having trouble with.  However my main problem is how to create the grainey effect that's in both examples...

As i mentioned, the "add noise" filter gives a similar effect but doesn't create the vintage sci fi illustration look that I'm going for....

Any suggestions in regards to that?

• 10. Re: Help with recreating image

OK, another trick

Open a layer above the ones you want to have the noise, and fill with 50% grey.

Change its blend mode to Overlay - it will disapear.

Right click the layer and make it a Smart Object

Now go Filter > Texture > Grain

In the dropdown change Regular for Clumped (or whatever best matches your requirements

After OKing the Grain filter, if it is not right, double click Grain in the Smart object effects, and edit to taste.  You can change as many times as you like without messing it up.  You can also mask some of it off with the layer mask, or lower opacity if it is too pronounced.

• 11. Re: Help with recreating image
                              DM50000 Level 1

That sounds interesting but I don't seem to have "Texture" in my Filter menu. I'm on CS6, is it missing from this version or am I looking in the wrong spot?

• 12. Re: Help with recreating image

Look in the Filter Gallery, last tab.   You could probably have Googled that.

• 13. Re: Help with recreating image
                                  DM50000 Level 1

Actually, just found it in the filter gallery...

• 14. Re: Help with recreating image
                                    DM50000 Level 1

Yeah sorry it took a bit of googling... Just trying your suggestion now...