5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2007 11:35 AM by Abysmalk01 RSS

    Unicode?  Vietnamese Characters

    Scott - TNC
      Hi -

      I'm doing a project in Vietnamese which uses many special characters/accents.

      I have a Microsoft Word document with the correct text/characters. When I try to cut and past the text into a display icon, many of the characters don't come through correctly.

      When I try to paste the same text in Photoshop, it comes through fine.

      Can Authorware handle special characters?

      Thanks -

      Scott
        • 1. Re: Unicode?  Vietnamese Characters
          Newsgroup_User Community Member
          Scott - TNC wrote:
          > Hi -
          >
          > I'm doing a project in Vietnamese which uses many special characters/accents.
          >
          > I have a Microsoft Word document with the correct text/characters. When I try
          > to cut and past the text into a display icon, many of the characters don't come
          > through correctly.
          >
          > When I try to paste the same text in Photoshop, it comes through fine.
          >
          > Can Authorware handle special characters?
          >
          > Thanks -
          >
          > Scott
          >


          No, Authorware cannot handle multi-byte character sets natively.

          There was a U32 around called UMJ that helped with it. I have looked
          for it myself recently actually and the company that made it does not
          seem to be around anymore. Try saving the word doc as .htm and showing
          that in the IE Browser ActiveX control.

          Mark
          • 2. Re: Unicode?  Vietnamese Characters
            Newsgroup_User Community Member
            You can get the trial from the WayBackMachine site:
            http://web.archive.org/web/20060714024405/www.digital-audacity.com/umj.htm
            but, of course, that doesn't help licensing.

            All the email accounts listed on that site are for the domain, and since
            both digital-audacity and digitalaudacity seem to be dead, I assume
            those addresses won't work.

            Their mailing info was:
            Digital Audacity
            PO Box 219
            Wavell Heights, Brisbane
            Queensland, 4012
            Australia

            And is this a phone number?
            ABN 18 770 177 282

            Mark Tomlinson wrote:

            > There was a U32 around called UMJ that helped with it. I have looked
            > for it myself recently actually and the company that made it does not
            > seem to be around anymore.
            --
            Erik Lord
            http://www.capemedia.net
            Adobe Community Expert - Authorware
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.awaretips.net - samples, tips, products, faqs, and links!
            *Search the A'ware newsgroup archives*
            http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.authorware
            • 3. Re: Unicode?  Vietnamese Characters
              Newsgroup_User Community Member
              Yes, I found that Erik, thanks....

              But as you say, licencing is the issue.

              For us, the browser will probably work anyway.

              Mark

              Erik **AdobeCommunityExpert** wrote:
              > You can get the trial from the WayBackMachine site:
              > http://web.archive.org/web/20060714024405/www.digital-audacity.com/umj.htm
              > but, of course, that doesn't help licensing.
              >
              > All the email accounts listed on that site are for the domain, and since
              > both digital-audacity and digitalaudacity seem to be dead, I assume
              > those addresses won't work.
              >
              > Their mailing info was:
              > Digital Audacity
              > PO Box 219
              > Wavell Heights, Brisbane
              > Queensland, 4012
              > Australia
              >
              > And is this a phone number?
              > ABN 18 770 177 282
              >
              > Mark Tomlinson wrote:
              >
              >> There was a U32 around called UMJ that helped with it. I have looked
              >> for it myself recently actually and the company that made it does not
              >> seem to be around anymore.
              • 4. Re: Unicode?  Vietnamese Characters
                Newsgroup_User Community Member
                Use alBrowser from http://www.apurvalawale.com/ - You can show unicode text
                using that and much more.

                Best Regards,
                Apurva

                http://www.apurvalawale.com/
                http://amigo.apurvalawale.com/


                "Scott - TNC" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:ff8a5b$e7d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi -
                >
                > I'm doing a project in Vietnamese which uses many special
                > characters/accents.
                >
                > I have a Microsoft Word document with the correct text/characters. When I
                > try
                > to cut and past the text into a display icon, many of the characters don't
                > come
                > through correctly.
                >
                > When I try to paste the same text in Photoshop, it comes through fine.
                >
                > Can Authorware handle special characters?
                >
                > Thanks -
                >
                > Scott
                >


                • 5. Re: Unicode?  Vietnamese Characters
                  Abysmalk01 Community Member
                  If you would like to contact me offline then I might be able to provide a solution for you. My email is in my profile.