4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 8:03 AM by jmlg12

How to print an orthographic view at real scale

jmlg12 Level 1

Hello,

As it is possible to import 3D objects in PS... And display it in outline in an orthographic view, I'm wondering how to print this view at scale 1:1 of the model size...

and not the size of the image file defined in pixels...

AS a workaround is it possible to export that view in vector format to edit and print in Illustrator or Acrobat....

THanks

• 1. Re: How to print an orthographic view at real scale
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Printing to scale merely means defining a reference measure a.k.a. DPI. 1cm is 1cm regardless whether its 72 or 300 pixels. the rest is merely some manual transform and placment and using correct print settings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to print an orthographic view at real scale
            jmlg12 Level 1

Yes,

I don't say that it is not possible, but:

1 you need to know the exact size of your 3D model...

2 you have to define your canvas size

3 you have to render at that size..

Etc..etc...

When you prepare a layout in Rhino, Pro/E, or even "Layout" from Sketchup...you place your model in the format, select the scale and that's'all...

Why using a computer if you have to calculate by hand...

I think that when you have a 3D layer selected, the print dialog could be lightly different to works in more "little" cad package way...

Returning in the standard mode of PS you will get back the classical desktop puiblishing featured GUI...

Jean-Michel

• 3. Re: How to print an orthographic view at real scale
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, if you expect CAD precision from PS, then you might as well simply give up. All object sizes in PS are normalized to fit within the bounds of the scene and effectively there never is a predictable scale. If you can't do the math yourself or have e.g. stored a reference object (cube) with known side lengths that you can match to the ruler scale, then there is no easy way to get halfway correct scale prints.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to print an orthographic view at real scale
                jmlg12 Level 1

Euhm

I not so sure now...

I've download to verify this particular point the new Photoshop CC, and it looks working far much in the way expected...

You can Import an Object in an existing 3D Layer so the second object has the same scale as the first one...

You can also duplicate or clone the objects within a 3D layer to make material variations...

You can now generate a normal map from a Bump map  texture ...without Nvidia Filter on PC or external app on mac...

Just try it and give your feed back