5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 7:15 AM by A.T. Romano

Clips are broken up when added to timeline

Maxthelion

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this..

I'm trialling Premier Elements in order to learn it before buying and have hit a problem.

When I add a clip from the Organizer to the timeline, its automatically divided up into lots of very short clips. I don't want this behaviour and can't seem to find out how to prevent it.Snip of duff timeline.PNG

Prior to today, clips added by dragging from the organizer worked just fine and I can't find what change prompted this new behaviour.

My system is an i7, 4GB ram ATI video card and windows 7 64 bit.

The footage is 720p 50FPS from a Gopro 3. I was able to use the very same footage just fine up until an hour ago.

UPDATE:

I've found that the affected clips are shown with the following icons in the organiser:

Organizer.PNG

I can expand and contract the 'scene group' in the organiser but I require there to be no scene group at all. I just want them to be as they were when they were imported, i.e. a contiguous clip with no scene group within them.

• 1. Re: Clips are broken up when added to timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's either a number of clips or possible a Stack of clips. It's not just one clip.

Do you know how to see if it's a Stack in the Organizer?

Meantime, what model fo camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? That can be very relevant. Particularly if this isn't camcorder video at all. FRAPS and other screen capture software can produce some very strange behavior,depending on which codec the program uses to save the file.

• 2. Re: Clips are broken up when added to timeline
            Maxthelion Level 1

Hi

The footage is from a Gopro 3 set to 720p. It previously worked fine in Premier Elements 11. The clip is a stack of clips because Organiser/Elements has made it so. It was preiously just one clip, and yes, I do know how do show the scene group in its constituent scenes in Organiser.

My research has pointed toward Autoanalyser chopping up clips in this manner and it appears there is no way to undo the butchery it performs.

Unless  somebody out there knows different and there is a way to reconstitute these scenes into the continuous clip they used to be before Autoanalyser was run??

• 3. Re: Clips are broken up when added to timeline
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you getting your video from your camera to your computer?

What not go directly into Premiere Elements rather than through the Organizer? That way you can control whether or not the program auto analyzes the video and cuts it into sub-clips.

You can also turn off the Auto Analyzer/Media Analyzer in the Organizer's preferences, under the Edit menu.

• 4. Re: Clips are broken up when added to timeline
                Maxthelion Level 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your help, I've turned off the Auto Analyser in the Organiser preferences. This will hopefully stop the issue from happening again.

I'll re-import the broken up clips and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Clips are broken up when added to timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Maxthelion

As a second to all that has been said already in this thread....

The unwanted spontaneous splitting of video clips and stacking of the split clips is the work of the AutoAnalzyer and its options being left On in the Elements Organizer. I have been there and seen that irregardless of the source of the video. If the AutoAnalyzer analyzes the clip and cannot split it, then you are "safe", but otherwise Elements Organizer Edit Menu/Preferences/Media-Analysis and all its AutoAnalyzer options Off, and you will not see the problem of unwanted "stacked" video clips.

If you need the AutoAnalyzer for some reason, consider using it on an on demand basis, such as right clicking the video in Project Assets and selecting Run AutoAnalyzer.

ATR