9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2007 11:36 PM by EleTi

    runtime error

    EleTi Level 1
      Hi

      I created a helpfile in RoboHelp 6 and generated from Microsoft HTML help a .chm file. When clicking on the pages of the .chm file some pages give runtime errors.
      The error is: A runtime error has occurred. Do you want to debug? Line:... Error: Object Expected.
      What is the problem and how can I resolve it?

      Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: runtime error
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Click on this link for an explanation and how to solve the problem.
          • 2. runtime error
            EleTi Level 1
            I have already tried that way to solve the problem. But it doesn't work...
            • 3. Re: runtime error
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              Is it happening on all CHMs? Have you tried creating a new project with a single topic to see if the problem is project related?
              • 4. Re: runtime error
                EleTi Level 1
                I have created a project with about 200 topics(pages) and most topics work fine. When I open my book and open the topics one by one, about 5% of the topics will give this error and the other 95% work correctly.

                After changing the internet settings as you suggest above, the error is as follow:
                Internet Explorer Script Error
                An error has occurred in the script of this page.
                Line:..
                Char:..
                Error: Object Expected
                Code: 0
                URL:...
                • 5. Re: runtime error
                  RoboColum(n) Level 5
                  Have you had any IE updates applied recently? Also can you tell me whether the topics you created were imported from Word? Is there anything common about the topics that don't work that isn't in the ones that do work.
                  You also have not said what happens if you create a new project. Do that, create a single topic and recreate one of the failing topics. Don't copy and paste as this may copy across the problem. Compile and let us know what happens.
                  • 6. Re: runtime error
                    Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                    It sounds like in those topics you have included something that has a javascript function but the javascript file is not referenced, not referenced correctly or has an error.

                    Often this can be someone has copied a file that uses javascript to another folder at a different level and not changed the path. Look at the path for javascript calls and compare it to the stylesheet reference. The number of ..\ in it should be the same.

                    • 7. Re: runtime error
                      EleTi Level 1
                      Thanks for your help.
                      I solved the problem on another way. I duplicated in my helpfile a working topic, and copy-pasted there in the non working topic, so I replaced the non working files for other files. I did this for every non-working topic and now the errors are gone.

                      Anwering your questions:
                      The topics I created were not imported from word. I couldn't find anything common between the non-working topics, or differences with the topics which work. I tried to make a new project, importing the topic gives the same error.

                      I also looked at the path for javascript calls and compare it to the stylesheet reference and the number of ..\ in it were the same.

                      So what the real problem was, I don't know, but it works now...

                      • 8. Re: runtime error
                        RoboColum(n) Level 5
                        By importing the file into a new project I'm not surprised they problem was still there. The problem was in the topic.
                        You have effectively done what I asked you to do in the first place by creating a new topic so I'm glad it worked.
                        • 9. Re: runtime error
                          EleTi Level 1
                          Once more, thanks for your help Colum and Peter.