6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 8:23 PM by Chillau

    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

    spilgamesc

      Hi,

       

      I just installed Adobe Scout (via Creative Cloud) to profile a flash game, but I am getting an error when I run it.

       

      I have tried restarting my computer, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the application.

       

      The error is: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

       

      How can I resolve this so I can use Adobe Scout?

       

      best regards,

      spilgamesc

        • 1. Re: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
          Sedat Akkus Adobe Employee

          Hi,

           

          Could you please provide some details about your OS? Also did you have the Scout 1.0 installed before installing the new version?

           

          Thanks,

          -Sedat Akkus

          Software Engineer, Adobe Scout

          • 2. Re: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
            Michael J.A. Smith Adobe Employee

            It sounds like your system files might be messed up - Scout expects a 64-bit version of MSVCR100.dll, so it won't work if it's been replaced with a 32-bit version. Possibly you installed something that altered this file. See the discussion here:

             

            http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/96035692-9a50-40d4-a7d3-48bda87d11ec /the-application-was-unable-to-start-correctly-0xc000007b-click-ok-to-close-the-applicatio n-when

            • 3. Re: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
              spilgamesc Level 1

              Hi,

               

              @Sedat Akkus:

              My OS is Windows 7 Enterprise (Service Pack 1) 64 bit.

               

              I did not have any previous version of Scout installed. The only other Adobe software I have installed is Adobe Reader and a debug version of the latest Flash Player.

               

              @Michael J.A. Smith:

              My first google searches also turned up some suggestions that there was a problem with 64bit systems/installs. I located my MSVCR100.dll, there is one in both C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

               

              So, what would you suggest I do? I do not have previous versions of the DLL, but my intuition would say since I have both 32 and 64 bit versions it shouldn't be a problem.

               

              thanks,

              spilgamesc

              • 4. Re: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
                Michael J.A. Smith Adobe Employee

                Ironically, System32 is where the 64-bit dlls are located. Try the following:

                 

                1) Uninstall Scout

                2) Rename C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dll to msvcr100_old.dll

                3) Install Scout again

                 

                Scout will install this dll if it isn't present, so doing this will ensure that you get the correct dll. If this doesn't work, then at least we can rule that out as the cause of the problem.

                • 5. Re: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
                  spilgamesc Level 1

                  Hi,

                   

                  Thanks for your suggestion, however I have solved the problem another way.

                   

                  A colleague of mine had downloaded an Adobe Scout installer .exe from a previous version of the Adobe website, before CC was required. I uninstalled creative cloud, installed the old version and now it works.

                   

                  thanks,

                  spilgamesc

                  • 6. Re: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
                    Chillau

                    Okay, I have SOLVED the 0xc000007b problem for my Adobe eLearning package after many, many hours of googling solutions. YAY!  For those who may experience the same issue, here's the root cause and the steps i followed to fix it.

                     

                    The problem stemmed from the iLivid program I had downloaded onto my PC. If you google this program you'll see that it is known to cause many issues so DON'T install it!!! It hates Adobe and causes other computer problems too!

                     

                    STEP 1: Firstly I had to uninstall iLivid using the standard windows uninstall steps. This program is notorious for not uninstalling completely so I then ran 2 programs to make sure it was fully removed from my system. For this i used RegClean Pro and CCleaner. I ran these several times, rebooting my PC between each 'cleaning' session.


                    STEP 2: After I was pretty sure evil iLivid had been fully removed, I downloaded the two missing .dll files that iLivid had somehow deleted from my system. I found this youtube video with the dll's attached to download The video explains how to fix the 0xc000007b error for Lightroom - but the dll's worked for all my non-functioning 64bit Adobe eLearning progs too (Captivate, Media Encoder, Presenter Video, etc). After I unzipped them, I copied and pasted the two .dll's into each of the prog files that were not working (oddly PS 64bit had not been impacted). On my PC the 64bit progs were installed here C:\Program Files\Adobe - not in the Program (x86) folder.

                     

                    After following these steps I rebooted my PC and now - AT LAST! - everything works fine. Whew!

                     

                    Hope this helps others who have the same problem