Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help that looks good

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2007 Oct 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -
I'm evaluating HATs for a prospective project and after all the time I spent satisfying the customers wish list I thought I'd satisfy a question of my own - from a designer's outlook.

The project is a huge form. I would like to integrate Help the way it's described and shown in
Figure 3 in this article.

Can this be done with RH - and still satisfy 508 compliant, totally Searchable including glossary, index, TOC, easy to author to and friendly to deploy?

Are there any examples out there - finished or work in progress projects that would show me what people are doing with RH??

Thanks in advance for any input on this tall order.

JL

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2007 Oct 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JL.
I've had a cursory look at the article you gave and from the examples they use there are certainly ways you can achieve the same results. You can use drop down or expanding text, popups, tooltips to mention just a few methods. All would allow you to have additional information available to users should they need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me again. Apparently there are limitations in 508 compliant output that mean the use of things like drop downs can not be used. I apologise if I have confused you and I defer to those who know more about 508 compliance than me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum -

That's what I thought - making the interface "fancy" usually means excluding some users. However - 508 compliance is a driving force in this development scheme so it must be considered. I really want to get away from the Help that's just another frame on the screen. The Help message should look like it's extending from the question...connected.

I wonder if there are other features (glossary, index, searching) that exist but cannot be made 508 compliant with RH.??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the way forward maybe to talk things through with your developers. If you could provide them with a set of HTML files (e.g. webhelp output from RH) could they code the fields in the form to display a required .HTM file is a desired way. It would require additional coding (e.g. Javascript) but it would allow for the type of interface you require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Colum,

I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand the intricasies of Java and JavaScript, but when you stated "you could provide them with a set of HTML files (e.g. webhelp output from RH)" and "they code the fields in the form to display a required .HTM file" in a desired way, I was immediately reminded of using Map IDs to link context-sensitive Help topics to the appopriate fields. My company has used Map IDs in this way with our client/server apps. We have not yet done this in our Web-based apps, even though I've been told that it can be done using JavaScript.

Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JL -

You should wait for RH7 as nothing you can do will make RHx5 (or 6) 100% Section 508 compliant. Have you really gone through the 508 requirements to determine what you truely need?

You indicated the project is a "huge form" which implies the use of JavaScripts and or Java (or other such programming tools) and perhaps frames...all of which would fail 508 (if held strict).

One thing about 508 - it has some flexibility built into it. That's why I asked.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp