7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2006 6:30 PM by ntsiii

Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?

Level 7
      Hi..

I am working on my first Flex App.. I have a simple log in page that once
      validated I want to send the user to the main page but the "navigatetourl()"
      method seems overly complicated. Is there another way to do a simple
      loadURL("page.html","_self")? ?

Thanks

Rich

• 1. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
          Renaun_Erickson Level 1
          The Flex application resides in a HTML page, if you switch the HTML page you end up loading a new instance of a Flex application (the same or other you specify).

You probably want to just change the internal view of the Flex application.
          • 2. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
            Level 7
            Hi --

Ok.. well then if I do it that way, how do I go about that? Put a SWFLoader
            in my login app and then load the next swf?

I guess I should have a wrapper that loads the individual module SWFs ?

Rich

"Renaun Erickson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:earpdl$m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > The Flex application resides in a HTML page, if you switch the HTML page
            > you
            > end up loading a new instance of a Flex application (the same or other you
            > specify).
            >
            > You probably want to just change the internal view of the Flex
            > application.
            >

• 3. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
              Renaun_Erickson Level 1
              People either break apps in different SWF's and load them as modules or they do the whole application in one SWF.

Depending on how big the application will get thier are pros and cons to both ways.

If you are doing your first flex application its easier to do everything in one SWF.

Renaun
              • 4. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
                Level 7
                Hi --

Well my first app is just a learning experience. I have a fairly robust
                application I built with ASP that I would like to conver to Flex so I will
                do it as seperate modules so it is easier to modify functionality in the
                modules down the road.

Thanks

Rich

"Renaun Erickson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:eatc5j$ie$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > People either break apps in different SWF's and load them as modules or
                > they do
                > the whole application in one SWF.
                >
                > Depending on how big the application will get thier are pros and cons to
                > both
                > ways.
                >
                > If you are doing your first flex application its easier to do everything
                > in
                > one SWF.
                >
                > Renaun
                >

• 5. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
                  ntsiii Level 3
                  Note that your app can be built with components, but still be delivered as a single swf.

If your app is so large that you are pushing the limits of memory, then SWFLoader might be for you. Otherwise, a standard Flex app is much easier to work with.

Tracy
                  • 6. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
                    Level 7
                    Ok.. I have a page with just a simple SWFLoader on it. I call the first
                    module of my application and that works fine, but how do I reference the
                    SWFLoader again to load the next part of the program?

Is there a way to make the SWFLoader global / shared so I can access it from
                    any of my other SWF files generated from the MXML ?

Rich

"Richard Morey" <webmaster@duneresorts.com> wrote in message
                    news:eatij9$88a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi --
                    >
                    > Well my first app is just a learning experience. I have a fairly robust
                    > application I built with ASP that I would like to conver to Flex so I will
                    > do it as seperate modules so it is easier to modify functionality in the
                    > modules down the road.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Rich
                    >
                    > "Renaun Erickson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    > news:eatc5j$ie$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> People either break apps in different SWF's and load them as modules or
                    >> they do
                    >> the whole application in one SWF.
                    >>
                    >> Depending on how big the application will get thier are pros and cons to
                    >> both
                    >> ways.
                    >>
                    >> If you are doing your first flex application its easier to do everything
                    >> in
                    >> one SWF.
                    >>
                    >> Renaun
                    >>
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Moving from one HTML page to another inside Flex app?
                      ntsiii Level 3
                      You really should try to build a standard flex app first. SWFLoader introduces too many wrinkles for a beginner.

How many views/ apps /components do you think you will have to start with?

Tracy