30 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 2:56 AM by KGCW

The thread for good things about Premiere CC

jdmack01 Level 1

I know that people will use these forums to communicate complaints about the new Preimere CC, or to ask questions about things that have changed and become confusing.  People who are happy with the new software, however, may not be inclined to start a new thread to say so.  So this thread is specifically for communicating things about Premiere CC that are noticablely better than in earlier versions.  I, for one, need this information as much as the criticism in making my decision about whether to upgrade or not.

J. D.

• 1. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
          Shane P Level 3

Well for one, the fact that they have repaired clip markers is wonderful. I love the healable "through edits" and from a cosmetic standpoint I like the new in/out point markers as they stand out nicely.

PPCC for ME thus far has been rock solid and I have no complaints as of yet.

• 2. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry for not being able to give any feedback yet, since my whole day has been spent on correcting Adobe's Installer problems and I still have not finished, because it is all manual labour. I have freed up in excess of 2 GB diskspace, removed more than 2500 directories and a multitude of that number in files, just to get rid of 44 language versions of legal documents and similar crap that were plastered all over the place and replicated in more than 25 different locations.

When will Adobe understand that the majority of their clients from the US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand have difficulty speaking more than 2 or 3 languages, so why fill disks with Armenian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Finnish, Arabic, Russian, Turkish and Cantonese  totalling up to 44 different languages for legal documents. Nobody reads them anyway. You already know that all rights belong to Adobe and you have no rights at all.

• 3. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The single biggest improvement for me is that the timeline now scrolls at a useable speed with the mouse wheel.  This is probably the one action I perform most often in PP, and while CS5 and earlier were fine, CS6 mucked it up when they went to a combo scroll/zoom bar.  I'm very glad to have that corrected.

I'm also very happy to see Clip Marker navigation back.  Losing that in CS6 really added time to my work flow.  However, the implementation is a bit weird.  The shortcut will now navigate to both Clip and Sequence markers.  Previously they were different shortcuts for each marker type.  I still think separate is the better way, but this is certainly an improvement over CS6.

I've noticed an improvement in MPEG2-DVD export times in CC7, though testing for that is ongoing.

I've also noticed improvement in Ripple trimming with the mouse.  CS6 made the task frustratingly difficult with the addition of both Edit Point Selection, and the Rolling Edit option when using the normal Selection tool (V).  (I still wish that would go away entirely.  We have a Rolling Edit tool for that purpose, there's no need to add the function to the Selection tool.)  CC7 still allows both Edit Point Selection and Rolling edits with the Selection tool, but the task seems a bit easier, perhaps because to engage the Rolling Edit, you need to be practically on top of the edit.  And when you let go after dragging the end of the clip, the edit point no longer remains selected like it did in CS6.  This is all good.

The Track Selection tool now selects all tracks by default.  The Shift modifier used to change from one to all, now it changes from all to one.  As I most often want to move the clips in all tracks so that things stay in sync, I find this an improvement.  One less key I have to hit to get the job done.

The Lumetri engine from SpeedGrade is a niiiiice new feature.  I will definitely be putting this one through it's paces.

The ability to store user preferences in the Cloud and 'install' them into whatever copy of PP you happen to be working in is a nice new feature that I will probably take advantage of.

I like the new DNxHD sequence presets.  Renders made with that codec are good enough to use for export, speeding up the export times.  Though I do wish we could select the DNxHD codec for any sequence.  Right now, DNxHD previews are only possible with a DNxHD sequence.  You can't choose it as an option for Custom sequences.  But, you can start out with a DNxHD sequence and modify a few things, then save it as a preset.  So that's nice.  (And this all works just fine without QuickTime installed)

We no longer need to hack our non-supported CUDA cards to get hardware acceleration.  PP just throws up a warning about the card being unsupported, and then turns it on anyway.

• 4. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                alraz.exe Level 1

I love the lumetri effect, even though it doesn't work T_T

But still love it.

Also, love the fact that now it uses my AMD/ATI GPU to render; that saves A LOT of time.

For example:

a 1 hour project 720p H.264 render

before: 8+ hours to render

now: about 40 minutes

• 5. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                  Biggles Lamb Level 3

I've noticed and improvement in my bank balance as my money is not in Adobes grubby hands (sorry to break up the party)

• 6. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                    Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

There's one tiny thing that I really like:

Press M to add a marker. Press M again and it opens the Marker Dialogue Box.
                    No more having to move your hand to the mouse to double click that marker to open it.

But I particularly like the added support for Control Surfaces.

All I wanted was to be able to easily do real-time audio level adjustments with faders. Now I can do that. Using a $4 app and my Nexus tablet!

(As well as my fancier hardware control surfaces).
                    But we're just scratching the surface of what's going to be possible now. This project is coming along nicely I hear:
                    http://www.ctrlconsole.com/

• 7. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                      KGCW Level 1

The various multicam fixes and improvement are by far the #1 feature for us as we do an overwhelming lot of multicam editing. The multicam viewer no longer exist on its own and has been combined with the program monitor (you can switch between the two with a keystroke). It no longer creates unwanted edit point when you stop playback. You can now "flatten" your multicam like in Avid MC or Apple FCP, meaning you can at last benefit from XML roundtrip with multicam (and send your edited multicam sequence to Ae).

The new timeline feels way cleaner, snappier and more modular, the track routing simplification and new shortcuts makes keyboard editing even faster and more enjoyable.

Being able to selectively paste attributes, at last.

The new relink windows is so crammed with features that I did not have time to give it a proper try yet.

There is a ton of "small" but nice improvments : through edit healing, trimming both ends of a transition simultaneously, setting the duration of a transition numerically via a right click sub menu, the ability to name a nest when your create it, snapping to playhead, browsing through Premiere project files within the Media Browser. I certainly haven't noticed all of them yet. By small I mean they're not largely advertised "killer features" but you'll probably be using them a lot.

The new DNxHD MXF OP1a transcoding abilities of Adobe Media Encoder and sequence preset of Premiere are a very welcome thing, as it opens up the doors for workflows with a cross platform high quality mezzanine codec that cover pretty much any need from proxy to 444 with alpha. All this with blazing performance thanks to export grade renders, smart codec and not relying on QT. However we'll have to wait a bit to use it, Resolve seems to be currently unable to recognize the DNxHD MXF created by AME / Premiere CC as files it can read. I have no idea why.

Appart from the DNxHD not sowhing up in Resolve, no bug or issues so far.

• 8. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                        CorioliosRacing

Being able to fast forward and backward during multicam edit with out an edit point at the stop is outstanding! Thank you!

• 9. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                          KGCW Level 1

mark__m wrote:

No more having to move your hand to the mouse to double click that marker to open it.

I just noticed that ! Nice ! We just need a shortcut to extend a marker duration to playhead and colored markers and that'll be perfect.

• 10. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC

KGCW wrote:

I just noticed that ! Nice ! We just need a shortcut to extend a marker duration to playhead and colored markers and that'll be perfect.

Yes!  And the title of the marker showing in the marker palette!

I don't know if this is new in CC, or just new to me, but you can ALT+CLICK on a marker and it splits it and you can drag the ends where you like.

• 11. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                              KGCW Level 1

mark__m wrote:

I don't know if this is new in CC, or just new to me, but you can ALT+CLICK on a marker and it splits it and you can drag the ends where you like.

If it isn't new I never ever noticed it, and wether it is or not, I thank you for the tip, it will save me a lot of time !

I noticed you can select edits instead of clips with cmd / ctrl + lasso. I don't know if it's new to this version or to me either.

I guess we'll have to alt / cmd / ctrl / shift click a lot of stuff to see what happen.

• 12. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Alt+click to give a marker duration is new to CC.

• 13. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                  KGCW Level 1

Hi mark. Is there any reference document where we could learn new and unadvertised features like this one ?

• 14. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                    justinjohnson76 Level 1

I loved the speed of the DNxHD exports/transcode..until I noticed the files couldn't be used in Resolve or Speedgrade. Hopefully they will be supported soon. Back to DNxHD QT...

Otherwise, just enjoying the all around speed of the software. Things feel snappier.

• 15. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                      KGCW Level 1

Hi justin ! If you experienced the issue with MXF DNxHD & Resolve too, could you post it in this thread : http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=9174 ?

• 16. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                        Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

So, I have two links for you, but I'll warn up front that neither is comprehensive. How can I state that so categorically given that I haven't pored over either page? Well, the very feature in question (ALT+Click a marker to imbue it with duration) isn't mentioned on either of them. Still, perhaps you'll learn of some new tidbits:

If any bullet point piques your interest but lacks the how-to detail, feel free to start a "how do I..." thread here.

• 17. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                          jdmack01 Level 1

Rather than click "helpful" for each one of these posts, let me just say thank you everyone, this is all very helpful.

J. D.

• 18. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                            Shane P Level 3

mark__m wrote:

OOOOOOOOOO!!!! So happy that is back, I never thought to see if that was back. That was in 5.5, I made my own keyboard shortcut to place a marker and pressing it again opened the marker dialogue box. In CS6 they botched markers really bad and I think about 99% of users were unhappy with markers. I know many of us submitted the feature requests to have them "fixed" and it seem they that did just that in CC. They're not perfect but ALOT better then CS6 was. Like I said in an earlier post, the new marker functionality is worth the upgrade for me.

I am still using CS6 on my main workstation and exploring CC on my laptop. I think I'm going to wait a few weeks / cpl months to see if any patches, etc are released before installing and converting my main workstation over. If I experience tech issues where I am editing video of my dogs I don't care.

• 19. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I've already finished up two paying projects on my edit rig, one started in CS6 and one new for CC7.  Both worked fine, without issues.  Some of the new features in CC7 even made the job a little easier/quicker.

• 20. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Right now, all I can do is marvel at the new "Paste Attributes" capability. For my particular workflow, it is a wonderful feature.

I just wish they had not screwed up the color of the audio waveform. They need to fix it. The waveform should be darker than the background, not lighter. I can change the color of the background, but even making it as light as I can does not invert to cause the waveform to be darker. I do not like working in the negative space.

Sigh!

• 21. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC

The new paste attributes in conjunction with the new "select next/previous clip" shortcut has cut the time of my quick'n'dirty grading workflow to about a third. Love 'em both to bits.

• 22. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                    jdmack01 Level 1

"Right now, all I can do is marvel at the new "Paste Attributes" capability. For my particular workflow, it is a wonderful feature."

What is different about this from the "paste attributes" function is CS5.5 (which is the version I still use).

• 23. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Fair enough question. This is the window that pops up when you "Paste Attributes". Now you get choices.

Capture.PNG

• 24. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                        DMH79 Level 2

There are lots of things to like about PPro CC. However, I do believe it's important to know of the issues that may affect your particular workflow before you update. You can look at their product page and see all the great new features in action in their tutorial videos, but only in this forum will you hear if they have issues or not. Sometimes looking at a forum like this makes you think that the program is totally screwed...but most forums can make you feel that way. My experience is a fairly positive one but with one big setback.

LOTS TO LIKE:

If you have CS6, I think it depends on your workflow and what you use Premiere for which should determine whether it's wise for you to update at this point. You can always download the trial and see what you think. They made many awesome improvements to the editing "finesse" as they like to call it. Things like through-edits, paste attributes, easily expandable (with one scroll) and solo-able audio tracks are nice combined with bigger features like the added "looks", wider GPU support, and audio clip mixer (although, can you undo if you mess up with that mixer?). Honestly there are so many other little things they tweaked and improved that many go almost unnoticed. Long time FCP7 users like myself really enjoyed many of the updates.

THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:

Three things however, after just one week, stand out to me as either confusing, or completely unacceptible based on my personal experience:

1) Multicam is essentially broken. If it's important to you, I recommend you wait until it's fixed. Sure, you can do it, but be aware of the issue with re-doing any of it before you start. As people have said in previous posts, it's great that you can now stop/pause/forward/rewind without it making a cut on a timeline during a multicam edit. I also like that the audio meters now work while editing multicam. But just know there is a new bigger issue with CC Multicam that, if you are not aware of it, can set you back hours and hours:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1236698?tstart=0

2) Be aware that Encore is not included with the new CC update. It's a bit perplexing why they did this but you can just download (or keep installed) Encore CS6 and all will be fine. Moving away from DVD/Bluray disc creation over time is fine, but cutting the ties now is makes about as much sense to me as if they only allowed Premiere editors to edit 4k footage and nothing else. Oh well, at least you can use CS6.

3) One other post (#20) here mentioned "appearance" issues with PPro CC. I agree with his assessment but I'll take it one step futher. I think the dark background looks so cool on these programs...BUT... editing 10 hours a day 6 days a week with white letters on a dark background can start to kill my eyes so in CS6 I switched "appearances" and made it a light background. Not as cool, but it worked better for me. Problem solved! The problem with Premiere Pro CC is that, unlike in CS6, making the background lighter ONLY adjusts the background BUT the rest of the clips and markings don't adjust to make it usable. What do I mean? Try this...on CS6 go to Preferences>Appearance and make the background light. Now in your source/program monitor, mark and in and out point. Notice how the selected area is now light blue and visable against the light background. Now try that same thing in Premiere Pro CC, and you'll realize that the same selected area did not adjust to the changing of the appearance and it remains light colored and disappears into the background now. Bizzare. Small issue I guess in the grand scheme of things, but still, an important design element that became worse, not better, coming from CS6.

I'm a fan of Creative Cloud. I realize all new software will have it's bugs. But I do get nervous at the thought of this program updating often and bugs as big as the multicam bug being overlooked prior to a public release. Personally, I'd rather they wait and fix it first when it's that big.

• 25. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                          KGCW Level 1

I just noticed project file sizes have shrunk dramatically, for instance one of our projects weights 12,8 MB with a CS6 .prproj file and 703 KB with CC. I haven't checked yet but I think every project we converted from CS6 to CC did shrink in the same way. However I don't think any of them do a heavy use (if any) of the Wave Stabilizer.

We haven't run into the awfull multicam bug yet (luckily).

• 26. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                            DMH79 Level 2

My projects were often +200mb in CS6 (I usually had a 100-200 stabilized clips per project) so I'll see what the size looks like when I officially move over to CC. File size never really bothered me though but it'll be nice I guess to have them smaller. I'm back at CS6 now due to the CC multicam issue. CS6 has its own multicam issues (the unintended cut when you stop and the "ticktime.cpp-207 error" that I have to hit "continue" on usually over 400 times just to open the project)... but I guess it's better than losing my multicam edits all together in CC.

• 27. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I just wish they had not screwed up the color of the audio waveform. They need to fix it. The waveform should be darker than the background, not lighter.

Here, here!

• 28. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I just noticed project file sizes have shrunk dramatically

Whoa!  Didn't even notice that one.  I keep a standard Miscellaneous project around loaded with all sorts of media for testing and verification of functions for posting here.  It was created in CS6 and comes in at 5,188 KB.  The exact same file opened (and converted) in CC7 weighs in a paltry 270 KB!

Identical projects, vastly different project sizes.

I have heard the project file is no longer a simple XML you can open in a text editor.  This seems a nice side benefit.

• 29. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                                  SMG720 Level 1

1. Much smaller project file size. This is great when you're sharing work between your desktop and laptop and are keeping files in synch by using Dropbox/Google Drive.

2. Ticktime cpp error is gone. Thank you for fixing this annoying bug.

3. The audio sync feature is awesome!  Had I known that this would work well, I wouldn't have bought some other audio synch software a few weeks ago.

4. Peak files stopped re-generating over and over again. This was a major time killer when I had to load up a project with hundreds of video files. Thank you for fixing this annoying bug.

5. Lumetri stuff looks really cool. My previous presets had been working well but just playing around with them, I like them so far.

• 30. Re: The thread for good things about Premiere CC
                                                                    KGCW Level 1

Projects that are using the Warp Stabilizer seems to benefit from the size reduction too, although not in the same scale. I tried with the most stabilizer-heavy project I could find, it went from 85mb to 55mb.