16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 2:45 AM by Patrick Stijfs

Why are there borders around images in my exported video?

Ste777

Good afternoon, Adobe Community.

I Googled this before posting, but the results are flooded by people who are exporting in weird aspect rations and getting borders around their whole videos.

I am having an issue where, when I export video, Premiere/Media Encoder sticks a thin border around my image elements. I don't understand why it's adding these borders or how to prevent it (it added them to all of the images in this movie).

Here's a screenshot demonstrating the problem (you'll can see the thin grey border around the lion image):

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-13h19m00s206.png

Here are some factors that may be affecting this:

• Sequence is in 720p, but I'm exporting in 360p.
      • The original image is a JPG image and is inserted into the sequence at 100%.
      • I'm exporting with Maximum Render Quality and Maximum Depth.

And here's an exported frame from the sequence, showing that the border does not appear in Premiere:

TSO_Work_Styles.Still002.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steven

• 1. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I see a black border around both images.

• 2. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
            Ste777 Level 1

Thanks for your response, Jim:

I don't mean the black border around the whole screenshot that Adobe adds on all uploaded images on this forum, I mean the one around the image element in the frame. Here's another screen capture with an arrow pointing at exactly what I'm referring to for a little more clarity:

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-13h19m00s206.jpg

Thanks for responding though!

• 3. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Drop the lion into Photoshop and expand the canvas to framesize and fill it with the background color.

That will take care of the border.

Premiere sometimes does that probably because its white.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                Ste777 Level 1

Ann,

That's a good suggestion for a workaround, thank you...

Do you make all image elements larger than the frame size for all of your projects to prevent this issue? Is this a regular part of the workflow for Premiere editors?

Why would Premiere do this and why is the fact that it's white on white a factor?

I'm just a tad frustrated because I've got several image elements in this movie that I'll have to rejig now (motion keyframes).

• 5. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?

Right click on image and edit in Photoshop should do it.

Images like this I always make same as framesize as I have seen this issue before.

• 6. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                    dalesandberg Level 1

Another way to prevent this would be to work with .tiff, .png, .bmp, or any other image type that supports transparcency. This way, rather than using a white background, you are using the exact same color as the video background (even if they are supposedly both pure white).

• 7. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                      eric-mc2

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. I have a thin grey stroke around all the image files in my output files that don't show up when viewed in Premiere. I am using .png files, not .jpg files. I can't expand the canvas and fill with the BG color, because in my case, the .png files are in place to cover specific parts of the video track and I don't want to block the rest. I am trying to block out part of a computer screen, but don't want to block out the rest. Below is a partial screen shot of the exported video file:

Screen shot 2013-06-27 at 9.05.50 AM.png

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Eric

• 8. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?

You could add a fast blur to feather the edges.

See if that will help

• 9. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                          eric-mc2 Level 1

Thanks Ann,

I will give this a try, export again, and report back. Like Steven, above, I am curious if this is a regular issue in Premiere. I am a recent convert from FCP7, and this was never an issue on that platform. Should I be doing something different when I save as .png out of Photoshop? The use of .pngs in my workflow is pretty common.

Thanks again,

Eric

• 10. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                            Ste777 Level 1

eric-mc2 wrote:

I am using .png files, not .jpg files. I can't expand the canvas and fill with the BG color, because in my case, the .png files are in place to cover specific parts of the video track and I don't want to block the rest.

If you're using PNG files, you could always expand the canvas to fill the sequence but make the expanded bits transparent. Assuming Premiere just strokes the outer borders of an image element for whatever reason, it'd still cover your video element and push the stroke beyond the video boundaries.

Out of curiosity (to get a better understanding of this issue) were you exporting your video at its original size, or were you exporting a scaled version?

• 11. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?

I am curious if this is a regular issue in Premiere.

I hope not.

• 12. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                                eric-mc2 Level 1

Okay, program just finished a fresh export. Not sure I understand why, but Ann's suggestion seems to have worked (!?!):

You could add a fast blur to feather the edges.

Honestly, I thought that this was simply going to place the stroke further out (at the edge of the canvas), since I didn't resize the canvas to match the entire video frame (that was going to be my next attempt).

I have compared the areas where there was a stroke in the vid I exported last night, with the same areas in the vid I exported this morning, and the stroke is gone. I can also report that it is NOT some other change made in the export settings, since I saw an area in the program where I forgot to feather the edges of the .png, and it still has the stroke.

This is a work around for today's problem, but I need to find a better solution, since I don't always have the luxury of blurring the edges of .png elements added to video. The idea of extending the PSD canvas to the edge of the video frame would work fine for static .pngs, but not practical for elements in motion. This could work if  you extend the canvas beyond the vid frame edge, but really, how far should you need to go? For some of my jobs I have a small graphic element that has to fly around on the screen from top righ to bottom left, etc. It seems like I would have to build a canvas much bigger than my vid frame...

Hope someone can come up with a workable solution besides bluring the edges, although many thanks to Ann for helping on my immediate need!

• 13. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

I've encountered this working with images with an existing white background... I figured it was a matter of the white bg of the .png or Photoshop layer was a different shade than the white color matte generated in Premier Pro. So... I usually just remove the white BG in Photoshop or heavily feather it out in premier.

• 14. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                                    eric-mc2 Level 1

To reply to Steven (above)

Out of curiosity (to get a better understanding of this issue) were you exporting your video at its original size, or were you exporting a scaled version?

I am exporting the timeline at it's original size, the video source elements are from two different screen captures, made with different techniques (one Epiphan, one Quicktime Screen Recording), but both were down res'ed to fit within the 720p timeline sequence.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. In a similar post that I started on Creative Cow, the suggestion was made to use the Crop Tool in PSD, I am doing that with the element that I forgot to blur (see above) and will report back whet the export completes.

-Eric

• 15. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                                      eric-mc2 Level 1

For reasons that are completely unknown to me, it seems that if you use the Crop Tool in PSD, then export the .png file, Premiere will display without the stroke/border around the edge. Go figure.

Thanks again to everyone for the great suggestions, and it is nice to know that when something is stumping me, y'all have my back!

I will consider this case closed!

• 16. Re: Why are there borders around images in my exported video?
                                        Patrick Stijfs

Hi, I appreciate all the workarounds suggested, but for me that doesn't help. I make hundreds of training films with a greenscreen which later gets a white background. This looks cool in our white website, however, sometimes the video's have a grey border. This happens cpmpletely AT RANDOM. I know, because we produce them all in exactly the same way... It looks like this is an Adobe Bug of some sorts. I really hope someone can help. It is really time-consuming to export the same video three or four times, just so that it doesn't have the grey border the fourth time. (To be clear: I don't use *.PNG, or *.PSD or any still, just chroma key on a white solid in After Effects).

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.27.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.37.06.png