1 2 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 3:08 PM by Yammer

When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?

ycardozo Level 1

Since last November, when Raw 7.3 was introduced, I have had a problem with thumbnails continually regenerating in Bridge in folders where RAW images have .xmp sidecar files. I am shooting with a Canon 7D, on Windows 7 and using Photoshop CS6. I had to find the .8bi file and replace the 7.3 version with the old 7.2 version, which was an excruciating experience for me. Since then, 7.4 has not fixed the problem and I understand 8.1 hasn't either. I just became aware that the RAW 8.1 version for CS6 is NOT THE SAME as the one now (as of June 17) on the cloud, where Photoshop is now called CC. This problem has driven me crazy since November and has led to some 400 postings on one of the other forums. As best as I can tell, no one knows why this is happening. Finally, I tried calling Adobe technical support yesterday (actually not my first attempt at this) and spent an exasperating hour on the phone with a series of chaps in India. Eventually I was transferred to the alleged Photoshop technical expert who DID NOT KNOW WHAT AN .XMP SIDECAR FILE IS. This is basic Photoshop. This is not some complicated part of Photoshop but something set by Adobe to default in Bridge should anyone do ANYthing in metadata to a RAW file.

Yes, I am pissed. Yes, I am truly out of patience.  As best as I can figure, Adobe was so busy putting all its resources to figuring out how to earn more money (ie the monthly subscription now called cloud) that it abandoned any pretense of fixing a known, massive bug. Until this is fixed, frankly, I am frozen in time with Photohop CS6, circa November, 2012. And plenty more folks have replicated this problem, not only with canon but also Sony and DNG files.

• 1. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
          AnnShelbourne Level 2

As I explained to you in your other thread: you can circumvent this problem by using a Central DB for ACR instead of using Sidecars.

• 2. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
            ycardozo Level 1

Thanks for your help with this. I thought it over carefully and a couple of worries came to mind, one of which is easily handled, the other not so much, I think.

1. What happens if the database is corrupted. Answer: back it up everywhere you can think of.

2. More of a problem...what happens if you back up a folder of RAW files to an external hard drive. You will get the original RAW files but none of the work you've done. This means if you want to view one of these images on the external hard drive, you can't see all that work...what you get is the original, unaltered image. That would mean having to remember to back up the database on that drive, too. But if you took that to another machine, what then would happen? It's too many unanswered worries for me.

What do you do?

Meanwhile, I went to a friend's office today with a thumbdrive that has some of my RAW files along with metadata sidecar files. He has CS6 updated to 8.1. The regeneration did not occur. We then opened the CC version of Bridge and again, the regeneration did not occur.

I am now wondering if the problem is triggered by multiple things...perhaps something on one's computer or in one's particular copy of Photoshop, along with the metadata.

Someone on the other forum said I should be more detailed about the problem. It has been dissected to death by people far more capable than me. But to repeat what I know...When I updated Photoshop CS6 to RAW 7.3 I started having a problem in bridge with images continually regenerating. In other words, endless repeat extractions. So with a folder than had, say, 200 images, it would grind it's way down to zero, then start again, but this time at maybe 100 rather than the full 200, then at zero, start again at maybe 50, then maybe 15 and finally stop. But the minute I went to another folder or left the page, the problem would start all over again. The number of repeat extractions was never the same. And after a lot of fiddling, I slowly realized that the trigger was the .xmp sidecar file. So a folder with just raw images and no metadata did not continually regenerate but the minute I laid the first bit of metadata on any image, it would start again.

I am on Windows 7 shooting with Canon 7D and the point and shoot G11. I understand people on the other forum have replicated this with a Sony camera and also DNG.

I have a friend with a Nikon (also on Win7 and the updated version of RAW) who does not have the problem. Nor does a friend who shoots Canon, but not the 7D or G11. And where does DNG into all of this. Isn't that supposed to be an unbiased digital negative.

Someone else said we need someone (say, me) who has this problem, to update to CC and see if it is solved. I hope to try this on the weekend.

• 3. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
              Yammer Level 4

CameraAnn wrote:

As I explained to you in your other thread: you can circumvent this problem by using a Central DB for ACR instead of using Sidecars.

One question, as it's been a while since I looked into this:

If, in Camera Raw preferences, I opt to save settings in Camera Raw database (instead of sidecar/XMP), what happens to all the data from the thousands of XMP files I've generated over the last 6 years? Is it copied to the database? Is it used as a backup if nothing exists in the database? Or is it ignored while that setting is active?

• 4. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                AnnShelbourne Level 2

I am fairly sure that the files with existing sidecars will continue to use the metadata that already exists in the sidecars; but any RAWs which you edit in ACR after you change to use a Central DB will be stored only there.

I don't think that there is anyway to move metadata from suitcases to the Central DB but it would be very useful to be able to do that.

• 5. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                  ycardozo Level 1

'suitcases?'...I am guessing you are talking about external hard drives? At any rate, without a way to make sure the metadata goes with the images to the backup external hard drives, this is not a solution I am comfortable with. But thanks for  the advice.

CameraAnn wrote:

I am fairly sure that the files with existing sidecars will continue to use the metadata that already exists in the sidecars; but any RAWs which you edit in ACR after you change to use a Central DB will be stored only there.

I don't think that there is anyway to move metadata from suitcases to the Central DB but it would be very useful to be able to do that.

• 6. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                    AnnShelbourne Level 2

Sorry for causing confusion!

By "Suitcases" I did actually mean "Sidecars".

It is a slip of the tongue that I seem to make frequently and I think it has to be because of an association in my mind to some other hang-along-for-the ride Files from long ago when PostScript fonts came in two parts: the printable vector font itself and its accompanying bitmap for displaying on the monitor).

The latter were known as Suitcases and had little Suitcase-shaped icons.

Regarding the ACR Central DB: its not that large (mine is less than 2 GB) and I just keep a copy of it on the same HD as the images when using separate external HDs for Back-up.

• 7. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                      ycardozo Level 1

With a 2 TB external, that certainly would work. And what happens if you add or delete folders. Do you then copy over the 'updated' database? Or do you wind up with two databases?

• 8. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                        ycardozo Level 1

For me, at least, the problem of thumbnail regeneration is mostly solved. I went into Bridge in my CS6 program and discovered that somehow, 'generate 100% previews' had been checked in my CS6. I corrected it as you see below. That little totally unintutive box is located on the upper right hand corner of bridge right next to the staring system. See below. Meanwhile, I signed up for CC, since I was told I had a month to back out w/o penalty. Though the regen problem is not totally gone, it is now down to a manageable few seconds of a one time cycle of regeneration. Before, the regen happened again and again and again. What you see below is the default, btw. How it got changed on my CS6 is beyond me.  I have also seen that if a folder with raw files (with metadata sidecars) has a few tifs or jpegs in it, the regen problem does not happen. None of this, of course, makes a twit of sense in the world of reality, but there it is. Perhaps my experience can help some others.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-5436944-350573/bridge2.jpg

• 9. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                          Yammer Level 4

Last I heard, this was the official line from Adobe (Steve G.):

"Yammer case (ACR crop bounds set) is a different trigger than Yvette's, but they may point to the same underlying cause. The ACR team is lookng into Yammer's crop bounds and I'm going to make sure they are aware that Yvette's case may not be the same thing, but it would be good to investigate them at the same time.

"BTW, I have tried Yvette's case using Bridge CC and ACR 8.1 and it still exists. With Yvette's files, I have not been able to trigger the status message issue on OSX, just on Win."

Please don't use words like "solved" just yet. It was hard enough to get Adobe to take notice in the first place. I'm hoping for a permanent fix without having to upgrade software at cost, like the last time there was a bug in Bridge.

• 10. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                            ycardozo Level 1

You are absolutely right. What it is, for me, is more or less manageable. But that's only because I have a computer that operates at blinding speed and I ponyed up the money for CC. This in no way should indicate to anyone that the problem is fixed and, frankly, the fact that I was forced into the subscription version by this problem is just wrong on so many fronts. And the fact that the problem seems to be triggered differently (mine doesn't seem to be affected by crops) means it is affecting many systems on many fronts. And it needs to be fixed, finally and once and for all.

Yammer wrote:

"Yammer case (ACR crop bounds set) is a different trigger than Yvette's, but they may point to the same underlying cause. The ACR team is lookng into Yammer's crop bounds and I'm going to make sure they are aware that Yvette's case may not be the same thing, but it would be good to investigate them at the same time.

"BTW, I have tried Yvette's case using Bridge CC and ACR 8.1 and it still exists. With Yvette's files, I have not been able to trigger the status message issue on OSX, just on Win."

Please don't use words like "solved" just yet. It was hard enough to get Adobe to take notice in the first place. I'm hoping for a permanent fix without having to upgrade software at cost, like the last time there was a bug in Bridge.

• 11. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                              Level 5

ycardozo wrote:

…the fact that I was forced into the subscription version by this problem is just wrong on so many fronts…

Now you're giving Adobe marketing another subversive tool to herd more users to the Cash Cow—in the unlikely event that they had not figured it out by themselves by now, even if the malfunction was unintentional. 

• 12. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                ycardozo Level 1

Sigh, I'm sure they have. tho my individual situation may be a one-off. And of course, where are the folks who are supposed to be working on this?  I hear Microsoft is on the verge of doing the same with Windows 8. Another reason not to make the jump to 8.

• 13. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                  Yammer Level 4

No fix in 8.2 RC for CS6. No idea about CC.

• 14. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                    Vienna_Sydney Level 1

my thumbnail regenerate wether 100% preview is turned on or off. I don't use sidecars, but database. The only that fixed the problem was to clear all develop settings from the relative files. This step is of course no solution

I will try the Camera Raw 8.2 for CC RC - it cant be any worse

Just tried 8.2 and it made it worse. Instead of just a few regenerating, most of them do now.

Not sure how I can go back to 8.1 - perhaps someone has some idea. Somehow I don't think just replacing Camera Raw.8bi would be sufficient

• 15. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                      Level 5

Any change in the version of ACR you're running is likely to trigger the rebuilding of the cache.

If you go back to 8.1 (which is easy enough to do if you have the old 8.1 plug-in handy), that is likely to trigger the rebuilding of the cache all over again.

If you have abundant storage space available, make sure you have set the size of the cache to a large enough size.

Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 5.09.20 AM.png

• 16. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                        Level 5

Please understand that the suggestion re cachesize in post #15 is only a possible workaround.  Cache management has always been the Achilles heel of the Bridge application.  It still is today.

• 17. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                          Robert Shomler Level 4

Vienna_Sydney wrote:

... Not sure how I can go back to 8.1 - perhaps someone has some idea. Somehow I don't think just replacing Camera Raw.8bi would be sufficient

Actually replacing Camera Raw.8bi (two files: 64-bit and 32-bit) has worked well to revert from 8.1 to 7.x and between various acr 7 versions.  Don't know for 8.2, but seems like it would be worth a try.

• 18. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                            Vienna_Sydney Level 1

station_two wrote:

Please understand that the suggestion re cachesize in post #15 is only a possible workaround.  Cache management has always been the Achilles heel of the Bridge application.  It still is today.

I should have been clearer in my post. Should have said 'after the initial rebuilding of the cache', the cache keeps on rebuilding.

Have replaced the Camera Raw.8bi and it appears to be back to 8.1. Just wondered, as AdobePatchInstaller takes quite some time to install the update. Much more than just one file

• 19. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                              Yammer Level 4

Vienna_Sydney wrote:

Have replaced the Camera Raw.8bi and it appears to be back to 8.1. Just wondered, as AdobePatchInstaller takes quite some time to install the update. Much more than just one file

That's as expected. It's enough to replace the 8bi files to go back. Going forward involves installing Camera and Lens Profiles too.

• 20. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                Level 5

Whenever the cache reaches the maximum size you have alloted in preferences. or the limits of your available hard disk space, the cache will start dumping cached tumbnails and rebuilding others.  Apparently Bridge is not verry judicious in this regard, to put it kindly. 

The ACR installer also installs lens profiles, separely from the one ACR plug-in file,  Besides, the installer teams, based in India, are not what one would call Adobe's sterling asset. 

• 21. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                  Vienna_Sydney Level 1

station_two wrote:

Whenever the cache reaches the maximum size you have alloted in preferences. or the limits of your available hard disk space, the cache will start dumping cached tumbnails and rebuilding others.  Apparently Bridge is not verry judicious in this regard, to put it kindly. 

thanks for trying to be helpful. Have been working with PS and Bridge for a number of years and the cache is set to maximum - and also plenty of disk space. As mentioned in another thread, this only started with PS 6, or the photos fixed with this version. This also only applies to raw files, in their relative folders. None of the edited jpeg, or PSD have this problem

• 22. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                    ycardozo Level 1

I started the other forum discussion on this subject last December or so when I got hit with the regen problem upon updating raw from 7.2 to 7.3 in PS6. I am on Windows 7 shooting with Canon cameras.   After much trouble, I was able to replace the .8bi files in both 32 bit and 64 bit. My problem was triggered by metadata in raw files. In at least one other case, it was triggered by images that had been cropped.

The problem has NOT been fixed in the latest update in Photoshop CC. I finally signed up for CC out of total frustration about not being able to update and get new camera profiles. I also discovered, along the way, that somehow 'generate 100% previews' had been checked in my bridge program. Unchecking that helped immensely timewise.

Now on CC, I still get regeneration but instead of it happening again and again and again, it happens once. Also, if the folder has some Tiff images in it (perhaps a third of the number of raw) the regen stops completely. None of this makes any sense. And I hear this problem has been around for some people since PS4. It is unbelievable that Adobe hasn't addressed this but, sadly, the company is too busy with other things (ie creating CC to squeeze more money out of us).  I have contacted adobe directly both through Steve G and through an unbelievably frustrating set of discussions with folks in India.

At this point, I honestly don't know what can be done. But that's my update and 2 cents on this.

• 23. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                      Level 5

Vienna_Sydney wrote:

…As mentioned in another thread, this only started with PS 6…

Obviously you mean Photoshop CS6, not the ancient Photoshop 6 which didn't even have Bridge.

The extremely bad cache management has been with Bridge throughout all its iterations, from day one.

In all respects CS3 was the worst of the worst. I've often stated that Bridge CS3 is in my experience not only the worst piece of software ever released by Adobe but the worst by any major software developer anywhere.

Perhaps Bridge needs to be redesigned and reprogrammed from scratch, possibly renamed too.

• 24. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                        Level 5

ycardozo wrote:

…I finally signed up for CC out of total frustration about not being able to update and get new camera profiles…

Fortunately, ACR 8.x works hosted by Ps CS6, and it contains all new camera profiles and bug fixes available to CC users.  This series has been promised by Adobe to continue indefinitely for CS6; what it lacks is the improvements and added functionality available in CC.

• 25. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                          ycardozo Level 1

yes, of course, photoshop CS4 and CS6, not the much older Photoshops 4 + 6.

• 26. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                            Vienna_Sydney Level 1

Obviously you mean Photoshop CS6, not the ancient Photoshop 6 which didn't even have Bridge.

The extremely bad cache management has been with Bridge throughout all its iterations, from day one.

In all respects CS3 was the worst of the worst. I've often stated that Bridge CS3 is in my experience not only the worst piece of software ever released by Adobe but the worst by any major software developer anywhere.

Perhaps Bridge needs to be redesigned and reprogrammed from scratch, possibly renamed too.

Yes, I meant CS6. Actually, I found Bridge CS5 the best of all, except that I had to limit my raw folders to about 1000 files. But that's another story

• 27. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                              Level 5

Vienna_Sydney wrote:

…except that I had to limit my raw folders to about 1000 files…

My practice is never to put more than one day's shooting into a single folder; but I do understand that more than one user will generate more than 1,000 images in a single day. 

• 28. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                Steverock58

I too have experienced the same problems as Ycardozo and Vienna_Sydney.  I'm still experiencing these problems with CS6 and ACR8.2.  I'm not about to put all of my edits/recipes into a single database instead of xmp files given the number of times I've had to purge or even delete the cache.  The continual regenerating of thumbnail or previews has only been happening to me since ACR8.1, but the disappearing White Balance settings, crops, and other edits have been happening since ACR 7.2 or perhaps before.  Limiting image numbers in folders is not an option for me as I have been known to shoot 7,000 images in a day covering sports events.  This is my livlihood and Adobe Software is a necessary evil.  The bugs are most unwelcome.  It's easy to become cynical about Adobe given its seemingly insatiable apetite for revenue and poor support setup. 

If piggy-backing on this thread is against the rules, then would a moderator move my post please.  I have edited an entire wedding shoot in Bridge.  I can see the edits in the Bridge preview.  If I open the images one at a time, the edits show.  If I try to run them as an Action, the edits all disappear from the files.  Crops gone!  WB Changes gone!  Other edits gone!  I can see the images opening in photoshop with no change showing and the resulting JPEG's lack the edits.  When you can no longer trust the software you use to earn a living, it's very disconcerting.

I can post some screen grabs if that helps.

• 29. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                  ChunXiaYang

Hi ycardozo, Vienna_Sydney and steverock58,

I'm Bridge QE, and I'm sorry that the issue you mentioned brought so much trouble to you. Can anyone of you share me a image(with sidecar file) that can reproduce this issue? If you cannot attached image here, please kindly send me an email to chxyang@adobe.com. Thanks for the time!

Thanks,

Chunxia

• 30. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                    Steverock58 Level 1

Hi Chunxia,

I can't attach a RAW file here, or email it.  The smallest one I have is 12.44Mb.  I can use Dropbox if you want.

Regards,

Steve

• 31. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                      Vienna_Sydney Level 1

Hi Chunxia,

sorry, I shouldn't even have posted in this thread, as I don't use sidecar files. All changes from my raw files reside in a database. For some reason I thought this thread was about the slow problem of regenerating thumbnails. This happens with raw files and also with JPG's, where the folders contain more than a certain number of files.

What I don't understand is once the folder is complete, go to the next folder, wait until complete, then go back to the previous, the thumbnails are there in an instance. However, if I close Bridge, then open it again, I have to go through the same waiting time

• 33. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                        Yammer Level 4

ChunXiaYang wrote:

I'm Bridge QE, and I'm sorry that the issue you mentioned brought so much trouble to you. Can anyone of you share me a image(with sidecar file) that can reproduce this issue?

Which issue? The original poster's issue or Steverock58's issue?

Regarding the original issue:

The thumbnail regeneration issue observed since Camera Raw 7.3 cannot be reproduced by copying files. So an XMP file will not be of any use. If you duplicate a problem folder, there's a good chance the new folder will be fine.

Your best chance of reproducing the problem, is to work on 'Collections' of files with XMP. A few hundred raw images should do it. I typically set IPTC, Basic Adjustments, Automatic and Manual Lens Corrections, and Crops.

My folders tend to hold 50–150 images, and the problem affects maybe 1 in 4 folders. Up to a third of images may regenerate repeatedly. Clearing the folders' individual caches can reduce the numbers.

The bug appears to be caused by a relationship between the Bridge Cache and the images' XMP data.

• 35. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                          Steverock58 Level 1

If it helps, I've noticed that folders with PSD files in them regenerate thumbnails every time I even change windows and then return to Bridge. 

• 36. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                            Yammer Level 4

Steverock58 wrote:

If it helps, I've noticed that folders with PSD files in them regenerate thumbnails every time I even change windows and then return to Bridge. 

Only PSDs? Or are there other types of image in the same folders?

• 38. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                              Yammer Level 4

It would be interesting to see if the problem goes away if you move the raw files into a different folder.

• 39. Re: When will Adobe fix the problem of thumbnails regenerating in Raw files with sidecar files?
                                                                                Steverock58 Level 1

Can't check for you.  It progressively regenerates smaller and smaller numbers each time until now it has stopped altogether.  My other problem is still there though.  I've redone these photos four times now, and I'd like to get them to the client.

1 2 Previous Next