3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 11:48 AM by Joel Cherney

Chinese and InDesign

majacb

Is it possible to use Microsoft YaHei with InDesign? If so how? I've installed the fonts and restarted but no go.

Thanks - just started working with International client.

• 1. Re: Chinese and InDesign
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Absolutely. InDesign tries to sort fonts by script support - so you have to scroll further. I'm guessing that you're scrolling through the font dropdown, not typing the name "Microsoft YaHei." If you scroll past your Zs in the font list, you'll see a divider line, then Japanese fonts, then another divider line, then Chinese fonts. (First Traditional, then Simplified, I think.)

• 2. Re: Chinese and InDesign
            majacb Level 1

Thanks for the quick response Joel. I was typing and do have access to other Chinese fonts just not, MS YaHei. Strange as it's Open and .ttf. I'll use a substitute in the mean time.

• 3. Re: Chinese and InDesign
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is strange - I am using it right now!

Quite often, font problems in InDesign derive from having more than one copy of a font installed. If you have it in a Document Fonts folder, and installed in your OS as well? Alternately there might be a dupe in the \InDesign\Fonts folder.

Or perhaps the file itself is damaged, perhaps by an incomplete download?  I'm guessing that you aren't using Windows Vista or 7, because if you were, I think you wouldn't need to install it - it should be installed already by default. If you want to report back with your OS and version, file size of font file, et cetera, we can try to figure out how to get it to work. Or you can take your substitution and run with it.