9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2013 9:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection

greggwith3G

I'm running Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 Pro.  I want to capture footage from 40 or more mini-DV tapes and then add all of it onto another Windows 7 Pro computer where Photoshop/Premiere 11 is already installed, containing lots of photos and videos already. In Premiere, I'm clicking Add Media then DV Camcorder to do the capture.  Two issues: first, some captured footage shows today's date on all clips instead of the date they were really taken, and second, how can I simply move all of this footage to the other computer?  I want all albums, projects, editing, etc. to take place on the other computer.  Thank you for any thoughts!

• 1. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When your footage is captured, Premiere Elements will show the date is was saved to the hard drive. Not the date it was shot. For that you'll need a program called DV Date.

To move all of the captured footage to another computer, simply move all of the AVIs to an external hard drive, move that to another computer and then copy them to this computer's hard drive.

To copy all the metadata, use the Organizer to do any file moving. You can do this by selecting all of the files you want to move in the Organizer's Media Browser and then selecting Move from the Organizer's File menu.

If you use Finder or Windows Explorer rather than the Organizer to move the files, the metadata will not travel with them.

• 2. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0 for an idea on organization

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
              greggwith3G Level 1

Thanks for this reply!  I'm still struggling though - DV Date appears to have lots of "stuff" that gets installed with it, namely codec management tools and many programs I have no use for.  I can't believe that Adobe Premiere Elements doesn't capture the date that video footage was taken - it seems to be the most basic of attributes.  Maybe I'm too used to Adobe Photoshop Elements where each photo carries its own date/time taken; I need the same for each clip of my video from these miniDV tapes. How does any Adobe user manage a collection of video footage when he/she can't get it to show in chronological order and can't figure out when the actual footage was taken?  Thank you for any follow-up thoughts on this - my lack of expertise on this is definitely part of my problem here.

• 4. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
                greggwith3G Level 1

Hello again – I have moved forward with the DV Date program, and I can see that it is able to display an "inlay" of the correct date and time, which was my big need. I'm not sure if Premiere Elements will be able to see that inlay, but at least I know I can always drag a piece of footage over to DV Date to verify. Thank you again for your replies to this question, including organizational tips. All of this was very helpful!

• 5. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad we could help, Gregg. Please don't forget to mark this question as answered!

• 6. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
                    greggwith3G Level 1

Thanks Steve - I'm embarrassed to say that I don't see how to mark the question as answered!  I checked the forum guidelines, etc.  If you don't mind replying back, I'll get it done right away.

• 7. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Gregg,

At the bottom of each Reply, there is a "Mark as: Helpful" and a "Mark as: Correct."

There is also the little "Was this helpful? Yes No."

It appears that you marked Steves last Reply, #5, as Correct. Personally, I think that his Reply, #1, was the Correct one. You can Unmark #5, as Correct, then can mark John T. Smith's Reply #2 as Helpful.

The reasons that those markings are important, are two fold:

Adobe's Forum Team gathers data on the usefulness of the Adobe Forums, and will go to upper-management with those data, to support their (and our) contention that the Adobe Forums ARE very useful for helping users solve their problems.

When a Reply has been marked as Correct, two things happen: it is copied to the original post, appearing just below that, so that when one comes to the thread later, they see the post that the OP considered Correct, plus the little icon besides the thread, in the main forum page, turns green. This is useful, if one has Searched for similar problems, because with that icon, they can see that a particular thread DOES have a Correct answer, so is likely to be more helpful to them.

In this case, both Steve G. and John T. will get points, but few regulars care about those. They only want to provide help to users, and to solve problems. Those "points" are just a nice way to say "thank you" for the efforts.

As all people read these forums, I urge them to use that "Was this helpful? Yes No" to also help the Adobe Forums Team amass data, supporting them, when going before the bean counters, who likely see the Forums as a cost center, and not as a revenue center. When you (not you specifically, but everyone) read the various threads, and see "Helpful" answers, please choose "Yes," to add that to the data. If a Reply is NOT Helpful, then just mark it "No."

Only the OP can Mark a Reply, or change its Marking, so that is why we urge the OP to do so.

Good luck, and thank you for your concern - it's really important to everyone, who uses the Adobe Forums.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
                        greggwith3G Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me Bill!  I've marked the correct/helpful in the appropriate ways now.  I look forward to providing help to Adobe usersmyself someday in this forum in the future.

• 9. Re: Capture mini-DVs then add to existing Adobe collection
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gregg,

You are most welcome.

We look forward to your contributions, and welcome you. I think that was how most of us came to these forums - we had a question, or two, got answers and then returned to help others.

Besides working on questions/problems for others, I spend the bulk of my time here, reading and learning myself.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt