4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 6:29 AM by BobLevine

InDesign CC and Windows 7 32-bit

Warren Bingham

Am I having an exception or the rule? I'm running Windows 7, 32-bit. I've installed Creative Cloud and have both CS6 and CC. My first experience with InDesign CC today. I draw a text frame and can't see it. I place text into a text frame and don't see anything for 15 seconds. I haven't seen a text insertion cursor yet.

I can't be this slow in a program, so I saved the file as a IDML file. Then I tried to close InDesign CC. It warns me that a background task is going on and it will exit as soon as it can. I wait. Nothing. The message says to check the Background Task panel for the list of background tasks going on and the ability to cancel them. There is nothing in the panel.

I finally was able to force quit InDesign CC. I can work in CS6. But why am I paying a monthly fee for this? Am I missing something? Do I have an incompatible system? What on earth is going on?

Warren Bingham

• 1. Re: InDesign CC and Windows 7 32-bit
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There have been a couple reports of people having some performance issues but nothing as bad as that.

What are the rest of your system details?

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign CC and Windows 7 32-bit
            Warren Bingham Level 1

I'm using a Dell XPS420, 3.0 gHz Intel Core2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, Plenty of hard disk space (1, 2 and 3

TB drives), about 1.5 TB free, ATI Radeon HD 4600 video card running a Dell Ultrasharp 24" display running at 1920 by 1200, Windows 7 (32-bit), Service Pack 1.

Does that help. I rebooted the machine (I realized that I hadn't since Creative Cloud installed) and it has run better, but I'm still using CS6.

This is reminding me of using InDesign 1.0 and 1.5 on a 486. I don't miss those days...

Warren

• 3. Re: InDesign CC and Windows 7 32-bit
              rajsre Adobe Employee

Hi Warren,

You mentioned, rebooting the machine "it has run better". Does it mean that the problem has gone away on rebooting and thereafter? Do you still face performance issues? Is this a machine where any prerelease build of IDCC was installed/uninstalled and cache/preferences not cleaned? Were any other applications running simultaneously when you first faced the problem?

Rajan

• 4. Re: InDesign CC and Windows 7 32-bit
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would strongly recommend that you wipe that machine, install more RAM (Max it out...RAM is cheap) and move to 64 bit. The recommendation for RAM for InDesign CC is eight gigs but that requires a 64 bit version of Windows.