6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 7:12 AM by cctiger100

building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)

cctiger100

and here's goes yet another "what should i do raid-wise" question:

gonna build another editing station using some extra parts i have laying around.  board is an asus x58 with a intel 980, video will be a nvidia 470.  i found my old areca 1220 which i know is a little long in the tooth but would be nice to get some more use out of.  

doing a little research i found some articles on what kind of speeds im looking at with it.  its obviously not quite what a shiny new card would give me but im hoping with a faster pc and faster drives (articles are from 2007) it'll give decent performance for what i need.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/RAID-SCALING-CHARTS,1635-7.html   (raid 0)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/RAID-SCALING-CHARTS,1662.html  (raid 5,6)

ill buy all new drives for this machine (os, media, etc...).  i know harm likes his raid 3 thing and im hoping he pops in with his expertise.  so my question is how should i go about my complete disk setup from scratch here?  type of disks? how many? which raid setup? 

My budget is $1000 for the disks.  also i mostly edit hd from my mark iii.  im using the ml raw hack for about half my shots (and growing).  pp cs6, ae cs6, cinema 4d r14 are my progs, though im a cc subscriber and will be integrating the new cc progs into my workflow over the next month or 2 as they work out the bugs/kinks.  TIA    

• 1. Re: building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With 8 ports available your choices are somewhat limited, but then your budget for the drives is adequate.

You did not mention how much storage space you need, so I will assume 6 or 12 TB net space is enough for your purposes.

If 6 TB is enough, you could look at Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB disks and keep the rest of your budget for the future, if you need 12 TB you could look at HGST Ultrastar or Seagate Constellation 2 TB disks. I would only suggest enterprise drives.

With 8 ports I would configure them as 7 x raid3 or raid5 plus one hot-spare, giving you a net capacity of 6 disks, protection against failure of two disks and a sustained transfer rate of around 0.85 x (N - 1) x T = 0.85 x (7 - 1) x 150 = 765 MB/s. My preference is raid3, but you already know that.

The advantage of this setup is you have double protection in case of disk failure, you have a very high transfer rate and it is easy to administer. Using two arrays reduces performance, reduces protection and is somewhat more cumbersome to administer.

• 2. Re: building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)
            cctiger100 Level 1

thanks so much harm...ah forgot to throw out how much storage i need.  but yeah the 6TB is actually probably more than what i need on this system but the space will be there for the future

so im thinking a 1TB drive for OS and progs, then the RAID 3 with the seagates for everything else?  i have an extra 120 gig OCZ agility 3 SSD laying around any way to import that into this?

also can the areca 1220 spit out 765mb/s?  looking at the tomshardware raid 0 article, i was hoping to average around 200 mb/s read/write.  i figure that would be good enough till i move up to 2k & 4k stuff  

• 3. Re: building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep in mind that Tom's info is very dated, using pretty slow Samsung T166 320 GB disks, that may not have achieved anything more than 60 -70 Mb/s transfer rates.

• 4. Re: building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)
                cctiger100 Level 1

looking at 2 different seagate drives:

Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST1000NM0033 1TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive

Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive

look pretty much like the same drive except for double the cache on that top one and its cheaper for some reason.  more cache hurt or help in my raid array?

• 5. Re: building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The Constellation ES.3 is the latest and newest disk, it is the successor of the ES. The extra cache is always welcome.

• 6. Re: building an editing raid setup with an areca 1220 (8 port)
                    cctiger100 Level 1

ok finally got my disks organized and gonna build my raid 3 soon.  whats the normal stripe and then cluster size people using around here?  once again harm's probably the expert on this