5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 12:15 PM by Mashburn-girl

Preserving styles when moving master pages

Mashburn-girl

I’m trying to move a master page from one InDesign document (let’s call it Doc A) to a new InDesign doc (Doc B) but, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to do it and preserve the styles (character & paragraph).  I’ve tried loading the styles from Doc A to Doc B before and after moving the master over; I’ve tried loading the master pages from Doc A to Doc B; I’ve tried just taking a page from Doc A and moving it to Doc B.  Every time, I get the master page in Doc B, but the styles aren’t preserved.

I did see earlier threads about this, but have tried what was suggested before but to no avail.

• 1. Re: Preserving styles when moving master pages
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the record - I don't know what these threads are or what the suggestions were - so you'll have to tell us what you tried?

Copy or move a master to another document

1. Open the document you want to add the master to. Then open the document with the master you want to copy.
          2. In the Pages panel of the source document, do either of the following:
            • Click and drag the master spread to the destination document’s window to copy it.
            • Select the master you want to move or copy. Choose Layout > Pages > Move Master, and choose the destination document name from the Move To menu. If you want to remove the page or pages from the source document, select Delete Pages After Moving, and then click OK.

If the target document already has a master with the same prefix, the moved master is assigned the next available letter in the alphabet.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7105a.h tml

• 2. Re: Preserving styles when moving master pages

And styles will only transfer when you have text on the page using those styles.

To move styles from one Document to another you have to

Import styles from other documents

You can import paragraph and character styles from another InDesign document (any version) into the active document. During import, you can determine which styles are loaded and what should occur if a loaded style has the same name as a style in the current document. You can also import styles from an InCopy document.

1. In the Character Styles or Paragraph Styles panel, do one of the following:
              • Choose Load Character Styles or Load Paragraph Styles in the Styles panel menu.
              • Choose Load All Text Styles in the Styles panel menu to load both character and paragraph styles.
            2. Double-click the InDesign document containing the styles you want to import.
            3. In the Load Styles dialog box, make sure that a check mark appears next to the styles you want to import. If any existing style has the same name as one of the imported styles, choose one of the following options under Conflict With Existing Style, and then click OK:
              Use Incoming Style Definition
              Overwrites the existing style with the loaded style and applies its new attributes to all text in the current document that used the old style. The definitions of the incoming and existing styles are displayed at the bottom of the Load Styles dialog box so that you can view a comparison.
              Auto-Rename
              Renames the loaded style. For example, if both documents have a Subheading style, the loaded style is renamed “Subheading copy” in the current document.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS9D351498-DAAC-4be1-B4B8-2B6C72FF6CEDa.html

• 3. Re: Preserving styles when moving master pages
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the target document already has a master with the same prefix, the moved master is assigned the next available letter in the alphabet.

I wonder when that got changed. Used to be if the masters had the same name the receiving document definition was preserved. I like this new behavior, if I can remember it.

• 4. Re: Preserving styles when moving master pages

Styles are not linked to the master page.

So you'll have to transfer them manually - I posted the link above.

• 5. Re: Preserving styles when moving master pages
                  Mashburn-girl Level 1

Awesome!! Thank you guys for all the insight!

Sent from my iPhone