4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2007 10:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

voice recogniton

1serg1 Level 1
      Are there voice recognition applications that can be implemented into Director? if yes, what is required to make it happen. suggestions and opinions are very much appreciated.

thanks
        • 1. Re: voice recogniton
          Level 7
          I did some experiments with this a couple of years ago.

Windows comes with built in speech recognition capabilities. There's an SDK
          online so you can make VB or C++ apps. Then you can open any text editor and
          talk and it will try to put in what you say, as if you were typing it in.

One thing I tried was I got the Voice Recognition working. Then I set up an
          editable text field off screen. When someone talked the Microsoft Voice
          thingy filled the text field with what I was saying. (sort of). So then I
          put a behaviour on it that kept grabbing the text out of the text field
          whenever it got populated. It could analyze it by using "contains" and an if
          statement or case statement to make it check if certain words were found. So
          I tried moving a shape around on the screen by saying "up" or "down'. It
          really didn't pick up those word very well. It did great with numbers and
          long words however. I remember it picked up "helicopter" perfectly every
          time, but for "down" it would have any number of words it tried to guess.

That being said there are probably better speech recognition programs then
          what comes built in Microsoft.

One time I used this to pull all the spoken audio out of a video. I hooked 2
          computers up, one with the video, one with a MS Word ready to accept the
          dictation, and it did a decent job of giving me the script for the video.
          Word picked out most of the typos and grammar problems which pointed out
          where the dictation.

Timm

"1serg1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ff8dq7$i8v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Are there voice recognition applications that can be implemented into
          > Director? if yes, what is required to make it happen. suggestions and
          > opinions are very much appreciated.
          >
          > thanks

• 2. Re: voice recogniton
            1serg1 Level 1
            Timm,

I appreciate the info. Interesting how you were able to use voice commands. I should've given more info on my project. I am making an interactive cross-platform cd-rom, so it would have to work on PCs and Macs. I'm trying to avoid having to do any C++ programming, etc, and was hoping there was something "out-of-the-box" that I could use. Preferably something that can read the voice and make a graphical representation, as does a waveform editor, to compare it to another waveform to see if they match. There wouldn't be any voice commands that would have to be executed, as your experiments did.

If you or anyone can add to this, that would be great.

Thanks again!
            • 3. Re: voice recogniton
              wgb14 Level 1
              Its very easy to add speech recognition to Director.... All you need is an ActiveX wrapper for the engine to write the necessary grammars and lingo and you are done.... I have a working sample with the old Speech SDK 4.0 but this could be easily change to any of the more recent (and expensive) speech regognition engines. If you don't want to spend any money on a speech recognition ActiveX then yo can get the dll xtra and use any of the recent Microsoft Speech SDK
              • 4. Re: voice recogniton
                Level 7
                Rosettastone software does something like that. Last I used it, it was
                shockwave based. You talk into the microphone and it checks your
                pronunciation. I switched to the english version at one point just for fun,
                and couldn't pronounce "cat" no matter how hard I tried.

Timm

"1serg1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:ff9ki6$7ee$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Timm,
                >
                > I appreciate the info. Interesting how you were able to use voice
                > commands.
                > I should've given more info on my project. I am making an interactive
                > cross-platform cd-rom, so it would have to work on PCs and Macs. I'm
                > trying to
                > avoid having to do any C++ programming, etc, and was hoping there was
                > something "out-of-the-box" that I could use. Preferably something that
                > can
                > read the voice and make a graphical representation, as does a waveform
                > editor,
                > to compare it to another waveform to see if they match. There wouldn't be
                > any
                > voice commands that would have to be executed, as your experiments did.
                >
                > If you or anyone can add to this, that would be great.
                >
                > Thanks again!
                >