• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Photoshop CC, I cannot associate jpg's or psd's with Photoshop CC. I have used the "open with..." dialog box (something I have done a million times, so I know what I'm doing), but after choosing Photoshop, it does not appear in the list of recommended or other programs and will not open the jpg or psd file in Photoshop.

FYI, I installed Photoshop CC while Photoshop CS6 was still on my computer. I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

Please help...this is extremely frustrating.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 197 Replies 197
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. (Windows 7)

I tried uninstalling Quicktime, uninstalling and reinstalling CC, and even manually hacking the registry. When you go to associate a file time with Photoshop CC not only doesn't it give you Photoshop CC as a choice, you can't even add it. When you try, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Windows 7 also!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Just got CC in the last couple of months. Some great programs with some real quirks. I KNOW how to associate file extensions with programs. I right-click on a jpg, and PhotoShop is not in the list of programs to launch. So I browse to Photoshop 64b,  click on it, and,,, voila. Nothing is picked. Nothing is launched. Windows 7 is still waiting for me to select a program to use.

So, reading through all the stuff below... including hacking the registry. This is INSANE. Why doesn't it just work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. So frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTJ, Lets try the below suggestion and check if that helps.

• Right click on any jpeg or psd file
  • Go to Get Info
  • Go to the Open with panel
  • Select PS CC from the drop down menu
  • Click on Change All to associate all jpeg/psd files to open with PS CC.

Let me know in case you still get that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arpit...

Thank you for your response. I could not find "get info" but I opened properties and went to "open with..." under "general. This worked for PSD's, but I still have the same problem with jpgs (they will NOT associate with PS CC!). I have exactly the same problem I described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arpit,

I appreciate your attempt to help. I have reviewed the setting in Bridge and the associations there are correct. However just like BTJ I am unable to change the "Open With" settings to Photoshop CC... because first of all the option is not there, and second of all when one tries to browse to the .exe file to associate it, nothing happens when you select the .exe. I have tried this with 64-bit CC as well as 32-bit CC.

I also had the problem with PSD files but like BTJ I was able to resolve that.

In case I have not been clear, here are the steps to duplicate the issue:

(1) Right-click the file, choose "Open With", "Choose Default Program" =or=

Click "Default Programs" then "Associate a file..." then select PNG

(2) Browse to the location of the .exe file,, click it, click "Open"

(3) Photoshop CC does NOT appear in the selectable list of programs that may be used.

I appreciate your advice on this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXACTLY the same problem. This is a big issue... Is there an escalation route?

cheers

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe...

How about a response. This is a serious issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!

I switched from the full CC package to the photographer package due to having no need for the other software anymore, or the Cloud services that simply did not benefit me. When you do everything right and remove CC to replace it with 2014 this same thing happens.

I may cancel this while I still can and just use 6 which I own.  CC is too much fluff and to little regard for those earning a living and all these bugs cost me about $100 an hour in lost productivity. First the constant issues with the full CC package and now the same with this one. It took me many tries just to get PS to acknowledge my account which is also messed up. I could not use PS 2014 for over two hours earlier today and then finally it hooked up with my account. Sad, really sad. This is not Pro ready IMO. Shame on Adobe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I need help guys. I cannot open any jpg file on my PSCC 2014, and CC. I have tried to redownload PS CS6 and it can open any file of jpg I drag into it. It just happened to me today, that I updated my Photoshop CC 2014 to the latest version on Creative Cloud. After updating, I can't open any single jpg file. I have never installed/moved any plugins for Photoshop.

My system is Mac OS X 10.9.4

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll then. Clearly not a Windows problem. I abandon Apple years ago so I can't provide explicit instructions but it appears to be a similar problem of file associations getting scrambled. Apple used to have a System folder that stored a lot of bits and pieces similar to the Windows Registry, but that was before they went to Unix. Still there is likely something similar at the user level. JPEG, however, is not a native Adobe file type. What happens if you double click on an Adobe native file? Does it open the correct Adobe app? Can you open the JPEGs from a generic bit-map editor or paint app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your thinking was like mine. CS 6 would not associate with my files via the default or "open with" functions. I installed a copy of CS2 which I knew worked that way and hallelujah by doing that somehow CS 6 was also available. Don't understand why but it fixed the problem. Thanks, Ricker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work on my Mac. Have tried it several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find the steps you suggested. It would have been helpful had you identified the operating system you were using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through Explorer, Properties I  associated one psd file with Photoshop. I went back to Bridge and the Open With, Photoshop is available. For the jpg's I use the Camera Raw option, which then opens the file in Photoshop. It actually worked this time. Nice surprise and relief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this version 2015.5 sucks. You need to fix the default open with. I need to double click on my png and jpg files. I reinstalled photoshopcc didn't fix it. Also using windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my response/fix above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks mloew4 it worked. Nothing else was working for me. All my settings were right in regedit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, didn't work.  Let's me browse to Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 then choose Photoshop.exe but then doesn't use it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTJ wrote:

I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

This is an installer bug that has existed with all Photoshop Windows versions at least since CS2 > CS3, when I first encountered it. Uninstalling an older version may mess up file associations in the new version, and there is no easy way to fix it. It happens often enough to be a regular and recurring question in the forums, and certainly often enough to qualify as a bug with flying colors.

And yet I see Adobe officials repeatedly state here and elsewhere that it's perfectly safe to uninstall CS6 after installing CC. Well, it isn't. I cringe when I see that. This is what happens.

A bit late for those affected here, but the general advice is to always uninstall everything in reverse version order, then reinstall the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that comment. Unfortunately I did uninstall everything before installing CC; in fact I uninstalled and reinstalled CC. I am well aware of the file associations issues. This appears to be quite a different thing.

In the past, while uninstalling a previous version messed up file associations, it was always possible to get them back manually (partially, since you lost icons and previews.)

In this case it is very different behavior. It is literally impossible to add Photoshop to the "Open With..." list. When you try, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File associations are stored in the Win registry. It seems it is not getting updated this may be due to Win registry issues.

Please follow the following steps:

1. In the Win7 Start Menu, Search, type "file association"

2. Select the "Change the file type associated with a file extension".  This opens a window "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program".

3. For those files you want to associate with Photoshop CC click on the chosen file extension and then click on the "Change Program" to associate it to Ps CC.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines