4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 10:33 AM by A.T. Romano

Exporting a Clip

NatureVideo

Hello, Thanks ahead of time to anyone for their help.

1) Yes I looked in FAQ and phrased the question several ways with no match.

2) I am a total beginner in Premiere Elements 11. Am using the MAC version.

3) I obviously am overlooking something here.

4) I imported an hour long video segment, (Shot on tape based camera, Sony HDR FX7, is HD footage) dragged it to the Timeline, edited a 20 second clip, deleting everything else from the Timeline.

5) I want to EXPORT this clip, Preserving the HD quality and also Export it in a File Format that will enable someone else to Import it into Apple Final Cut Pro.

6) I click on the clip to Highlight it, but when I go to File, and get the Dropdown menu, the word EXPORT is not highlighted, it is not selectable. First question, what am I doing wrong that EXPORT is not an option?

7) I also went to SHARE, and what I get there makes absolutely no sense at all. I ONLY have the original One hour clip in my Project Assets, and I only have the 20 second clip on my Timeline. I highlight the clip, go to SHARE,

and it tells me that my "Shared" video will be 2 hours and 3 minutes long, which obviously is not possible. Again I'm open to the possibility/probability that I'm doing something monumentally stupid here, but I need someone to enlighten me.

8) Last but not least, if someone could tell me what the correct output format/file settings would be, to output the clip to preserve the HD quality and to have the exported file able to be imported into Final Cut Pro, that would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks again. I hope everyone's having a great day.

• 1. Re: Exporting a Clip
          A.T. Romano Level 7

NatureVideo

6) I click on the clip to Highlight it, but when I go to File, and get the Dropdown menu, the word EXPORT is not highlighted, it is not selectable. First question, what am I doing wrong that EXPORT is not an option?

All your Premiere Elements 11 share options are under Publish+Share. Please check them out. Under File Menu/Export all that remains is an Export for saving Titles made in the program's Titler. You are thinking Premiere Elements 7, when File Menu/Export/ had several options including Movie.

4) I imported an hour long video segment, (Shot on tape based camera, Sony HDR FX7, is HD footage) dragged it to the Timeline, edited a 20 second clip, deleting everything else from the Timeline.

From what I have read your Sony HDR-FX7 is supposed to be a miniDV camcorder. Did you do a HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window and just save the footage, not putting it on the Timeline at the same time? Or did you do a HDV data capture into HDVSplit and then bring the split .m2t clips into Premiere Elements.

7) I also went to SHARE, and what I get there makes absolutely no sense at all. I ONLY have the original One hour clip in my Project Assets, and I only have the 20 second clip on my Timeline. I highlight the clip, go to SHARE,

and it tells me that my "Shared" video will be 2 hours and 3 minutes long, which obviously is not possible.

Where exactly are you in "Share"? And what are specifics for your export choice? How are your reading your Timeline times 00;00;00;00 as hours; minutes; seconds; frames   or other? Does your Timeline read 02; 03;00;00 or 00;00;20;00 or something else?

8) Last but not least, if someone could tell me what the correct output format/file settings would be, to output the clip to preserve the HD quality and to have the exported file able to be imported into Final Cut Pro, that would be the icing on the cake.

II am strictly an Elements Windows user, but, if your video is for Mac use, you should be exporting an .mp4 or .mov file from Premiere Elements. HDV would be 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 interlaced frame rate. Nonetheless, you could and should consider a 1920 x 1080 frame size H.264.mp4 or .mov under the AVCHD or QuickTime computer choices. Both 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and 1920 x 1080 both display at 1920 x 1080, but 1920 x 1080 does not depend on the player to recognize a 16:9 flag to stretch it as does the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic.

More next time.

Looking forward to your progress.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting a Clip
            NatureVideo Level 1

A.T.,

THANKS very much for taking the time and for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I hope you have a great day.

• 3. Re: Exporting a Clip
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding your Timeline, and the stated Duration (much longer than your intended 00;00;20;00), it is possible that you have Orphans, left over from your editing, out beyond that edited 20 sec. Clip. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2887552#2887552

Also, in the Publish+Share Tab menu of possible uses/formats, if you are seeing only a limited selection, look to the far-right for the scroll bar. It is easy to miss. Use that scroll bar to expose more options for Publish+Share.

I agree that MOV, or MP4 would work well in FCP.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Exporting a Clip
                A.T. Romano Level 7

NatureVideo

Thanks for the follow up.

I suspect Hunt supplied the most likely explanation for

and it tells me that my "Shared" video will be 2 hours and 3 minutes long, which obviously is not possible.

when he points to what he refers to as Orphans.

Fragments (slivers) from some deleted or moved around media can leave those behind. Typically they present as very thin vertical black lines scattered about the tracks. If some or all of them are beyond the end of your movie content on the Timeline, they can affect what you see for file size and duration in the export dialog.

You need go on a hunt for them by scrolling across the Timeline, expanded with the -+ slider over the Timeline.

A quick check for where to start looking is to hit the End Key on the computer's auxiliary keyboard to the right of the computer main keyboard.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR