5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 9:40 AM by yellow_gecko

How to make object dissapear and reappear?

yellow_gecko

I was watching a video on YouTube on how to make an explosion. However, the video is not very helpful as the guy doesn't explain anything. I am not a complete newbie, but I still need some help on simple stuf sometimes. The part I am stuck on is when he makes a "patch" of the texture in the driveway, and then he covers up his explosive box. After that, he copies the box and is able to make appear and dissapear.

The part of the video I don't understand is at 1 minute, 22 seconds.

Here is the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1KkAfwflk

• 1. Re: How to make object dissapear and reappear?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you look closely the guy duplicates the layer and draws a mask around part of the layer that doesn't have a box. Then he moves the duplicate up to cover the box. Then he duplicates the layer again and draws another mask more closely around the box so he can apply shatter to that duplicate layer.

AE is all about layers. Don't expect to do much with a plug-in and a single layer.  I just wrapped up a composite shot that was 20 layers, most of them copies of the original footage.

• 2. Re: How to make object dissapear and reappear?
            Netcommercial Level 1

Hi YellowG, no point in double posting.... Try using your (menu at the top)  Layer>NEW>SOLID....Note the Size parameters in that dialogue box. (Not necessary to adj it there, but nice NOT making it as Big as your comp for your application) Now see the Eye Dropper next to the color square? Use that to capture the color next to the item you want to camouflage. Adjust accordingly.

• 3. Re: How to make object dissapear and reappear?
              yellow_gecko Level 1

@Netcommercial, Sorry about the double post, nobody was replying so I thought maybe it wasn't specific enough. Anyway, changing the color of a box does not make it disappear. The guy in the video was able to make the box completely disappear (not by changing the color), and he was able to make it reappear too. That is what I need.

@Rick Gerard, I understand he is using multiple layers, but how does he make the box reappear? Basically, you are saying that if I took a layer with an object, duplicated it, then put the original layer underneath the layer that has the mask, I would make the object disappear?

• 4. Re: How to make object dissapear and reappear?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Watch closely. He makes a mask just below the box so that he now just has a layer that is just the road. Then he moves that layer so that it covers the box.

This isn't a very good tutorial on how to achieve this effect. There are a lot better ways of doing what he is trying to do.

• 5. Re: How to make object dissapear and reappear?
                  yellow_gecko Level 1

Ok, I finally understand!! It is actually very simple, I don't know why I couldn't get it.

Anyway, what is a "better way" to do this? Can you post a link maybe?

Thanks!