3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 8:07 AM by Jeff Arola

Radial Blur on Smart object

pixelfinity Level 1

This is an issue I have encountered in CS6 & CC since I've been using a slightly different workflow on a few projects.

I create a smart object, say a coposite of a landscape with a road in it. I add a Radial Blur (zoom) to and move the origina point, file looks great and is adjustable as a smart filter.

Problem occures, if I use Radial Blur (zoom) on another image and change the settings and vanishing point. - When I return back to the image with the blur as a smart filter, the zoom origin point has reverted back to be centred.

If anyone has a workaround for this, please let me know.

On the subject of Radial Blur (zoom) a feature I would like is to be able to set the origin point of the zoom to be outside the canvas area.

• 1. Re: Radial Blur on Smart object
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Sorry. No answer for you, but I certainly sympathise.  The inability to preview the focal point for radial Blur > Zoom is one of the great Photoshop mysteries IMO.  Maybe the team thought that the introduction of Smart Objects in CS2 was the answer, but it still annoys me that I have to resort to trial and error.  Something else that I can’t work out, is why the Alt (Opt) key while in the Zoom Blur panel, changes Cancel to reset, as with other panels, but clicking on Rest only takes the focus back the position it was in when the panel was opened.  This seems pointless to me as you have no idea of the effect of any move without committing it — at which point that position becomes the new default.  

Is there a way to preview the focus point?  If not, can we add that to the wish list?

• 2. Re: Radial Blur on Smart object
            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Yup, infuriating also to know that it is possible to insert a precise location for the lens flare filter by doing an ALT+click on the preview. Why not in Radial Blur?

• 3. Re: Radial Blur on Smart object
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

With the radial blur filter you should be able to get back to the factory settings by holding down the Ctrl key while inside the radial blur filter.

The Cancel button should change to say Default when you press the Ctrl key.