10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 10:49 AM by Ness_quick RSS

    Why are there gaps?

    Ness_quick Community Member

      Can anyone tell me why there are these two gaps,

       

      1. just under the banner at the very top just above horizontal menu bar

      2. just below the fading in and out image slideshow

       

      www.milesfunerals.com/index3.html

        • 1. Re: Why are there gaps?
          Ken Binney MVP

          Please use the blue "A" button to post links

           

          Not Found

          The requested URL /index3.html was not found on this server.

          • 2. Re: Why are there gaps?
            osgood_ MVP

            Add this to your css.

             

            #top img {

                    display: block;

                }

                #mainContent h1 {

                    margin: 0;

                    padding: 20px 0 0 0;

                }

             

            Ken the url is www.milesmemorials.com/index3.html

            • 3. Re: Why are there gaps?
              ALsp Community Member

              In a page with a strict DOCTYPE (HTML5 is always strict), images must be

              set to remove baseline descender space. While display block will work it

              is usually not a good solution as it will effect the ability to float or

              display images adjacently. The preferred fix is usually to set a

              vertical-align property to a value of bottom.

               

              --

              Al Sparber - PVII

              http://www.projectseven.com

              The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

              Since 1998

              • 4. Re: Why are there gaps?
                Ness_quick Community Member

                Sorry Ken Binney i put the wrong url in!!

                 

                Osgood thats perfect thank you! Could you please explain to me why those gaps where there when there weren't any margins applied?

                • 5. Re: Why are there gaps?
                  osgood_ MVP

                  Ness_quick wrote:

                   

                  Osgood thats perfect thank you! Could you please explain to me why those gaps where there when there weren't any margins applied?

                   

                  Some tags like heading tags for instance h1, h2, h3 etc have default margins applied so you need to zero them out otherwise they may cause issues like the one you had.

                   

                  As for the image.........I think that is a browser specific issue. To get around that you have to turn it from an inline element (which it is by default) to a block level element using display: block;

                   

                  As you do more developing the more knowledge you will accumulate - you will become familiar with these issues and have the knowledge to correct them. I'm told there is good reason but I'm not really interested in reading techo stuff (which usually is a load of bullsh*t) I'm only interested in solutions so I can get the job done..

                  • 6. Re: Why are there gaps?
                    osgood_ MVP

                    Al Sparber wrote:

                     

                    In a page with a strict DOCTYPE (HTML5 is always strict), images must be

                    set to remove baseline descender space. While display block will work it

                    is usually not a good solution as it will effect the ability to float or

                    display images adjacently. The preferred fix is usually to set a

                    vertical-align property to a value of bottom.

                     

                    --

                    Al Sparber - PVII

                    http://www.projectseven.com

                    The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

                    Since 1998

                     

                    Thanks for the information Al I didn't know that. I'm way behind the time - I'm not using HTML 5 doctype yet.

                    • 7. Re: Why are there gaps?
                      ALsp Community Member

                      It's not a browser issue. Please see my post

                       

                      --

                      Al Sparber - PVII

                      http://www.projectseven.com

                      The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

                      Since 1998

                      • 8. Re: Why are there gaps?
                        osgood_ MVP

                        Al Sparber wrote:

                         

                        It's not a browser issue. Please see my post

                         

                        --

                        Al Sparber - PVII

                        http://www.projectseven.com

                        The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

                        Since 1998

                        Yeah I read your post see mine

                        • 9. Re: Why are there gaps?
                          ALsp Community Member

                          Sorry I read Adobe forums in an email client ant there is no

                          threading. My mistake.

                          • 10. Re: Why are there gaps?
                            Ness_quick Community Member

                            Lol. Thanks Osgood!!