18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2013 8:43 PM by Cadillacula RSS

AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Cadillacula Community Member

I just installed an AMD Radeon HD 6990.

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

My Mercury Playback Engine "GPU" choice does not show up in Premiere.

I tried the hack.

Nothing.

I see my card is not listed in the http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html list, however older and less powerful models from within its same family are.

First of all, do I need to upgrade to CS6 to even enable Open CL type cards? And if so is there a chance the hack will then work?

And if upgrading is the only Open CL answer - is there a way to upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 without getting involved in the creative cloud kookiness?

Thanks for any and all insight - I simply want to edit footage within Premiere while utilizing my more than adequate GPU.

• 1. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine
          J. Simon Community Member

OpenCL became available as a very limited option with CS6, and only on some Mac systems.  It became more widely available for Windows with CC7.

On 5.5, you're stuck with nVidia for GPU acceleration.

• 2. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

OK...

So is there a way I can determine if the very limited CS6 supports my card (or could be succesfully hacked as such)

Also still wondering if I can upgrade to CS6 from 5.5... or if everything is cloud now?

I'd even consider going cloud if I could get Premiere a la carte, and if there was some assurance my card would work with MPE GPU setting.

Apologies that the cloud thing has confused if not alienated me a bit.

• 3. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine
              J. Simon Community Member

Only the 6750M and 6770M are supported in CS6, both only for Lion 10.7.x.  I'm not a Mac user, so I didn't pay attention to the hack situation there.

• 4. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

I'm not Mac either FWIW. OK - so I wonder if the cloud version with or without hack would allow me to use my card.

Any/all insight appreciated before I pull the trigger on an upgrade for no reason.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine
                  Reg Santo Tomas Adobe Employee

Your card meets the prerequisites to at least be enabled manually as it has 4 GB of memory.

If you want to make sure, simply download the free trial version of Premiere Pro CC

• 6. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Good idea. I wont go into the gory details about the rabbit hole that was getting adobe applications manager, adobe cloud and finally adobe premiere cc trial (did I miss any?) to finally install without error (Renaming a folder in the program folder - really?) - but once I finally got there the MPE GPU option was not only available but already enabled by default.

Remember my card is NOT listed on their current list of compatible cards.

Interesting way for me to have to get a real answer, but a far more interesting way to get a customer to suddenly have to think about upgrading 2 generations.

Aw well 30 days to feel it out anyway.

Thanks all.

• 7. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

We will review that list with our partners to make sure that the list is more accurate in the future.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Adobe Applications Manager. I encourage you to file a report against that product so that future experiences can be improved.

• 8. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Spoke too soon of course. The saga continues.

The brand new Adobe Premiere CC trial crashes on export.

When I disable MPE "GPU" setting (switch it to "Software") it exports fine.

Glad I didn't buy this thing yet.

Thoughts?

Also - not to take away the impact of a bug like this (and it is a bug -- because remember I did no hack and PCC is seing my card and enabling MPE GPU all by itself) - but does PCC lean on MPE or any GPU for export rendering anyway? I was under the impression from the forums that it does nothing to aid in export rendering.

• 9. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Yes. You should be seeing a performance delta between GPU vs Software.  Mercury GPU renders with maximum render quality enabled so you will have to manually enable it in software mode for comparison.

What type of media are you trying to export and to what format?  Also, what version of the AMD driver are you using?

• 10. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

To be clear...

Using the Premiere CC trial -- with MPE GPU enabled I am fine within the software editing. I do see advantages on performance depending on the effects - but definitley more yellow lines than with GPU off and Software Only on. All good there.

What I am saying is when I am finished editing and go to export a file out - it crashes unless I switch MPE to Software Only, then it exports fine.

Beyond the bug itself, I am also asking if I really care. In other words does MPE with GPU enabled affect anything speed related when I am out of the editor and on to "exporting media". Because it was my understanding MPE has everything to do with editing within Premiere and nothing to do with once you hit "export" which then relies solely on your CPU since you are no longer "playing back" at that point.

Any clarification/conifrmation on this specifically?

Exporting MPEG raw to mp4's which I do all day long for several years now from my current version of CS5.5 with no issue. But remember CS5.5 doesnt recognize my card as Open CL compatible, thats why we're giving CC a go.

As mentioned up front this is a brand new video card for me so I immediately grabbed the latest drivers. Asking for the specifics is a loaded question since AMD breaks down their driver versions into indivdual categories - so beyond saying its indeed the latest version according to amd site and autodetect I can say its Driver Package 12.104, Catalyts Version 13.4. etc. etc

Thanks for engaging me on this.

• 11. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Exporting media with GPU enabled (when not crashing) should provide better performance when exporting when compared to the same export in software mode @ max render quality.

The performance deltas will largely depend on what type and number of filters applied.

I too appreciate the engagement on this matter. This helps us as well.

• 12. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

OK if that is indeed true (export times have the potential to be increased by MPE GPU enabled) then we have a problem.

My card is causing MPE GPU to auto-enable by default when editing a project within Premiere CC, and I see it working (yellow lines, noticeable performance increase in some playback cases depending on effects applied and amount of stacked clips on timeline, etc).

However when I go to export that same project with MPE GPU enabled the export window pops and then CC crashes with the Windows 7 "Adobe Premiere CC has stopped working" error message.

Help.

• 13. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Please file a bug.

Make sure it includes the effects you use as well complete info on your config including drivers.

Thanks

Reg

Premiere Pro

• 14. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

How/Where (apologies)

• 16. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Done.

(I wasn't sure what blood type I was so I left that section blank on the form).

Still crashing like a mother whenever I export (from a variety of projects) and leave "Mercury Playback Engine GPU" engaged. So fingers crossed.

Any idea if Adobe typically responds personally to these requests? Or at least acknowledges they recieved them?

• 17. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

We received it. And we appreciate it.

We will be looking into it. Thanks for your efforts.

• 18. Re: AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

The adobe team contacted me personally offline and asked a lot of good questions and tried their best. They may even still be working on it.

But in the end I had to tap out. Sad because its a great video card in every other practical sense.

Just installed a brand new GeForce GTX 680. I get yellow when working in timeline, it doesnt crash on export/render and I honestly "think" I'm feeling a noticeable lift in render times now in the couple tests I did with familiar recent projects.

See... nothing taking out a small personal loan couldn't remedy. SMH.

A barley used AMD Radeon HD 6990 will be on eBay soon. (Hey Adobe tech if you would like it for your testing lab hit me up and we'll work something out.)