13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 11:31 PM by Silkrooster RSS

Don't Get Rid of CS6

Trevor.Dennis CommunityMVP

I have just discovered from this DVInfo thread, that Premiere Pro CC no longer comes with Encore, or any DVD/Blu-ray authoring software.  That’s a huge omission, and I have no idea what they could have been thinking in taking this step.  So if you used Premiere Pro CS6 and still need to provide clients or whoever with DVD or Blu-ray disk, hang on to your CS6 apps.

The reason I mention this here is Dynamic Link.  It is a huge (my word for today) benefit being able to right click an object and having the option to open it in Photoshop like a Smart Object.  Make your edits, Ctrl (Cmd) s and it updates in Encore.  But so long as you still have Premiere Pro and Photoshop CS6 installed, you still have that function.

I am afraid I don’t know a whole lot about Photoshop and video because I’ve always used Premiere Pro.

• 1. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
          Curt Y Community Member

They have also eliminated the Output Module in Bridge CC. 

• 2. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6

So no pdf contact sheets, Web galleries and the other functionality?

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/understanding-adobe-photoshop-cs6/adobe-output-module-bridge/

There really should be a What's Gone in the Help files right after What's New

• 3. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
              Curt Y Community Member

I am always wary of "new and improved" products.

Features not available in Bridge CC

The following features are no longer available in this version of Adobe Bridge.

• Adobe Output Module
              • Export Panel
              • Compact Mode
              • 3D File format thumbnails and previews
              • Synchronized window
              • 4. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
                Lundberg02 Community Member

What are they thinking? Why would they do that?

• 5. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
                  CameraAnn Community Member

The wreaking of Bridge CC by the destruction of AOM is a disastrous to my work-flow.

We have the really bad situation where I have to maintain two versions of Bridge with separate Caches.

I need CC to access ACR 8; and I need CS6 for its AOM and you can't have both open simultaneously.

I have seen reports that Adobe do intend to return AOM and sincerely hope that this major short-coming will be rectified within the next week or so.

People did NOT pay these very high Subscriptions to discover after they had done so, that their accustomed work-flow had been totally disrupted.

Did this happen because Adobe failed to provide the necessary resources and financing to ensure that Bridge was fully staffed and therefore able to complete the upgrade to Bridge CC  in time for the launch date?

Heads should roll!!!

• 6. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6

Discontinuing DVD authoring support was ratified as it being an outdated concept (I think), but I have no idea why the Bridge omissions have been made.  Do you remember all those posts from people looking for Contact Sheet 2, (which as available in extras)?   Well that was reasonable because the Bridge Output module was a better way to do the job, and now it’s gone.

Is it anything to do with Lightroom?  I don’t use LR. But I imagine there would have been some overlap with the Bridge Output Module.

• 7. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6

My guess is that Lr has a very vocal lobby within Adobe and the resources which should have been allotted to Bridge were diverted to Lightroom?

Lr is a niche product for those whose interest do not stretch beyond photography and it is totally useless to the wider Graphic Arts industry who need to control and access assets in many different formats — most of which are unsupported by Lr.

• 8. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6

It amazed me to find out just how few people are in the Product Development teams.  Some of this is from my 'shakey' memory, but Wikipedia shows Adobe with 11,144 employees in 2012.  The Photoshop Development Team numbered 66 people (from a blog post around the time CS6 was released.)  A few days ago I read another blog post which mentioned the Bridge Development Team, and unless I missed something, there were only about six of them!  I imagine the Lightroom team sits somewhere in the middle, and the other 11,000 work in sales and marketing.

• 9. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
                          Silkrooster CommunityMVP

From what I was told. The output features of bridge are now part of photoshop once again as contact sheet and pdf presentation (both can be found in the File>Automate menu. And you are correct it does have to do with lightroom as lightroom is included in the full subscription. they feel most that did use the output of bridge are now using lightroom and therefre didn't see the need of duplication.

From what I can see they are looking for ways to trim the fat. Which is probably why it appears that they are heading toward doing a way with flash builder. This is the conclusion that I came to when reading their mission statement. Before anyone panics, read it first just incase I mis-interpreted it. I think this has to do with html 5 and javascripts role.

• 10. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6

Do you have a Link to their Mission Statement?

• 11. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6

Silkrooster wrote:

From what I can see they are looking for ways to trim the fat. Which is probably why it appears that they are heading toward doing a way with flash builder. This is the conclusion that I came to when reading their mission statement. Before anyone panics, read it first just incase I mis-interpreted it. I think this has to do with html 5 and javascripts role.

I spent some time making space on my 250Gb SSD while waiting for CC to go live.  I'd already got most things caching etc. to other drives (I have 14Tb over 11 drives), but with the aid of Windirstat - which is an excellent free download - I was able to find another 40Gb.  There's another 10 or so Gb of space to win back if I can make iTunes relocate some of its information, like device backups, but I have tried following the Googled instructions and it wouldn't take.

Anyway, I ended up with 90Gb free, which has dropped to 80Gb after installing the 12 CC apps I need.  I still have a few CS5 and CS6 apps, and will probably keep them, but I was still kind of shocked when I used Windirstat and found that Adobe apps are using 38Gb of my C drive:

Program files               18.6Gb

Program files (86)        9.9Gb

AppData/Roaming       9.4Gb

That's kind of scary.  Harm Millaard mentioned trimming 2Gb of extraneous files from his CC installations by deleting the Language and Legal folders, but they are barely a few Mb per folder, so it would take you ages to hunt them down, (unless you were brave enough to use a search and delete method (I just made myself shudder)

• 12. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
                                Silkrooster CommunityMVP

I think this is the one.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/whitepapers/roadmap.html

It looks like for now they are supporting more of an open source and it looks like it will be falling into the hands of Apache.

Like I said, I may be reading way too much into it. but it definately says that flash catalyst is done. Version CS5.5 is the last version.

• 13. Re: Don't Get Rid of CS6
                                  Silkrooster CommunityMVP

BTW, what got me looking was the last version of flash builder seams to be missing the design mode. It appears to be code only.