4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2013 9:57 AM by Jim_Simon

how to edit in proxy mode in cs6

sankoor2012 Level 1

Hi,

i am doing My first feature film edit in premiere cs6 it's red footage 2k,i am new to edit r3d files in cs6 can any one help me the best way to edit my film ( do i edit directly 2k footage or edit in proxy?)

• 1. Re: how to edit in proxy mode in cs6
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

That does entirely depend on your spec. On my machine, which is now 4 years old, I can easily playback a timeline consisting of several tracks with 4k Red footages on them, which, in turn, have e.g. Ultra Key effect applied, if I set the Playback Resolution to 1/4, which is quite enough for cutting. Same for multicam.

When the cutting job is done, I can switch back to Full Resolution for colour correction or e.g. send footages to After Effects for a compositing.

• 2. Re: how to edit in proxy mode in cs6
            sankoor2012 Level 1

in fcp definetly u work with proxies,i am now new to cs6 can anyone plz explain it clearly and give guidence n how to do in cs6 with red files it's a 3 hour footage,thanks n i am working with windows machine

asus p9x79 - motherboard , ram 16 gb corsiar 1600mhz , 2 tb harddrive , i72600k processor

• 3. Re: how to edit in proxy mode in cs6
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Run the following test:

- import several R3D footages into a PrPro project;

- drop them into the timeline (I assume you know how to create a sequence, which matches your footages);

- try to play the timeline back. If you have some issues, set the Playback Resolution to 1/2 (I also assume you know how to change the Playback Resolution) and try to play the timeline back again. If you still have playback issues, set the Playback Resolution to 1/4.

Hope the above is clear enough. If you have some questions after performing the test, please, be specific and as detailed as possible.

• 4. Re: how to edit in proxy mode in cs6
                Jim_Simon Level 8

One of Premiere Pro's strengths is it's ability to work with most any standardized camera media without conversion.  You should run some tests to see how things fare on your system.

Organize the footage on your hard drive using Windows Explorer.  Keep all folders intact and unaltered.  Once that's done, use the Media Browser in PP to navigate to that media and import from there.