7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2013 2:56 PM by Trevor.Dennis RSS

Recommended Plug-ins

Huskerfan29 Community Member

I have come to a point that I would like to purchase some additional software for creating effects to my photos.  I don't really know the difference between the three I have come to consider.  I was hoping someone could give me an unbiased explanation of the plug-in software Nik, OnOne PhotoSuite7, Or the Topaz Filters.  I know this is pretty broad but I would just like some information about these or whether they are all basically the same thing just different companies.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Recommended Plug-ins
          the_wine_snob Community Member

It might be helpful to tell the forum exactly what type of work, you normally do in Photoshop, as a plug-in suite, that I need, might be useless to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Recommended Plug-ins
            AttilaHan Community Member

I'm using Silver FX for b&w photos and HDR FX for hdr photos ... and I'm very happied with them. I'm also using Color FX and Exposure 5 (Alien Skin) occasionally. Both of them are recommended. I don't know about others, but you can install the trial versions of those plug-ins and decide which one is for you.

• 3. Re: Recommended Plug-ins

Bill Thanks,

I am a very beginning Novice and actually picked up Photography through acquiring a high school photography class I was assigned to teach and found out I liked it.  So I would answer that right now as just general photography and some very mild graphic design.  Along with what I have found to be a personal interest I am trying to find cost effecient ways to provide these opportunities for my kids at school.  I teach in a very small school and get $250/year to fund all my classes and at $149/license that allows 2 computers to use the software for example the Nik Software, it is still a sizable cost to licence 18 computers in my lab.

• 4. Re: Recommended Plug-ins
                Trevor.Dennis CommunityMVP

Look at Topaz Adjust, On One Perfect Suite 7, and Nik filters.  You get a decent free trial period to decide if you need them or not.

• 5. Re: Recommended Plug-ins

From what I can tell they all look to be the same basic thing by different companies....is this true?

• 7. Re: Recommended Plug-ins
                    Trevor.Dennis CommunityMVP

Huskerfan29 wrote:

From what I can tell they all look to be the same basic thing by different companies....is this true?

LOL  That's not so far from the truth.  Local contrast, smoothing, hyper detail...   There are differences, but I have most ot the Topaz filters and Perfect Suite 7, and pretty much only ever use Topaz Adjust.  Topaz Simplify is useful for producing line drawings.  For instance I produced this fellow from a phoyograph using Topaz Simplify.  A little trick with this sort of thing is to fine tune with the paint brush set to Overlay.  Paint with white to remove faint detail, and black to reinforce strong detail or shading to add depth.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2773/4283742304_888ae4b6db_z.jpg?zz=1

[EDIT]  Reading what I wrote again, I should add that Topaz Adjust comes with a whole heap of presets that perform a number of different functions.  Topaz are also a nice company to work with.  All very friendly people that always answer questions.  This is the Topaz Sodtware flickr group  While you are on filckr, I suspect you could seach for Nik, Perfect Suite groups etc. to see tons of examples, and chat with other users.