4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2013 3:34 PM by AntoniaAgain

Text disappears in text boxes

AntoniaAgain Level 1

Wrap feature off, notning changed since earlier today, same keyboard and so on. Going batty as I have an important job due Monday.

• 1. Re: Text disappears in text boxes
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's not the wrap on the text fram that matters, it's wrap applied to other overlapping objects (or a background that fills the page). Does opening the text frame options and checking the Ignore Text Wrap box solve the problem?

If not, is the text set to alignt to a grid?

• 2. Re: Text disappears in text boxes
            AntoniaAgain Level 1

Peter, thx for response. I have pulled the text box to the side and, with nothing in front or behind or touching it, it loses text. I have opened the text frame options, checked the box and it still loses the text. It's not aligned to anything as far as I can see and I've not done anything different from what I usually do. All text boxes created after this one did the same - lose their text. I solved the immediate issue by opening another document, copying and pasting a text box into the document I'm working on, and then replacing the text. I also created a new document and created text boxes and these too were behaving normally... so I am baffled.

• 3. Re: Text disappears in text boxes
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, that sounds like a problem with text that can't break for some reason, or has a keep option applied that requires all of the text to move to the next frame. It's usually easiest to diagnose that sort of thing in the Story editor where you can see the text. Slect the first few words of of overset text and look for the No Break attribute being applied, or Kepp options that require too many lines to stay together, text indents that together add to more than the width of the frame, type size too large to fit, a string of words separated by non-breaking spaces with hyphenation turned off, and so on.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Text disappears in text boxes
                AntoniaAgain Level 1

There is no overset text... If I create a fresh box on either the pasteboard or within the document margins, and type the words "this is a test" in there, small text size, larger box, they just vanish. I'm just pinning it to "another one of those things" as I've found a way around it and it's not happening in any other documents with the same prefs and settings. Appreciate your help.