14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 4:32 PM by kevin4545

Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?

kevin4545 Level 1

Let's say you change lens perspective, and a few of the basic things like exposure etc. You click done.

The you open the image again in ACR. Is there a quick way to toggle back to see how the image was originally?

Also: is there a way to get rid of phone wires in ACR (i.e. content aware)

and if you play with something complex like spot remove, how to you cancel out without canceling out your previous adjustments?

Sorry for all the ACR questions, but I just returned from a trip and am trying to do adjusments now in ACR instead of converting to PSD as usual.

• 1. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
          Robert Shomler Level 4

kevin4545 wrote:

Let's say you change lens perspective, and a few of the basic things like exposure etc. You click done.

The you open the image again in ACR. Is there a quick way to toggle back to see how the image was originally?

Also: is there a way to get rid of phone wires in ACR (i.e. content aware)

and if you play with something complex like spot remove, how to you cancel out without canceling out your previous adjustments?

Sorry for all the ACR questions, but I just returned from a trip and am trying to do adjusments now in ACR instead of converting to PSD as usual.

"Is there a quick way to toggle back to see how the image was originally?" -- depends on what was originally.  If original was unedited raw you can select Camera Raw Defaults in the Camera Raw Settings Menu. 

If you preplan you can save current edits via a snapshot (Snapshot adjustment tab) . Snapshots persist after 'Done' so you can go back later.

I know of no way to edit out phone wires in acr with  cs6.  Perhaps the new enhanced spot removal in acr 8.1 with photoshop cc.may offer something.

You can cancel acr spot removals (without affecting other adjustments) -- all of them by 'Clear All' button at bottom right of spot removal panel, or delete one spot by making it active (clicking on its pin) then press Delete key.

• 2. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
            kevin4545 Level 1

Rob, camera raw defaults is great, but then you cannot get back to the five adjustments you just made!

BTW, I've been using the reset CR defaults for years.  Is there a difference between that and just regular CR defaults?

I see snapshots for first time. How does one activate it (preplan)? This is ACR way of history?

• 3. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
              Robert Shomler Level 4

"camera raw defaults is great, but then you cannot get back to the five adjustments you just made!"

If you have done nothing else after clicking on Camera Raw Defaults in the Camera Raw Settings Menu you can undo by pressing control-Z, which will return you to the image settings.  (Control-Z will toggle between the two.)  Later on, you can get back to to setting when you opened file in ACR by clicking on Image Settings in the Settings menu.

"I've been using the reset CR defaults for years.  Is there a difference between that and just regular CR defaults?"

Selecting Camera Raw Defaults will use the saved default settings for a specific camera, camera model, or ISO setting.  Reset Camera Raw Defaults will restore the original default settings for the current camera (+ camera model, or ISO setting if so set).  So I'd guess they would perform equivalent actions if you had not saved and were not currently using other defaults for the current camera (that is, you've nto used save and load settings).

"I see snapshots for first time. How does one activate it (preplan)? This is ACR way of history?"

Similar to PS history snapshots except snapshots persist with raw file edits not disappear when closing image file as with PS).  You create a snapshot by using the Snapshot tab:  Click on the New Snapshot button at the bottom of the Snapshots tab to create a snapshot; then type a name in the New Snapshot dialog box and click OK.  The snapshot will appear in the Snapshots tab list.  (Control+Shift - S is keyboard shortcut.)  Then click on a snapshot name to change the current image settings to those of the selected snapshot.

• 4. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                kevin4545 Level 1

Thanks Rob. Where are settings? ACR does not have menu items. ?

"Selecting Camera Raw Defaults...."

Too subtle a difference to understand!

Thanks on Snapshots.

new Q Rob:

I have telphone poles, easy way in ACR to get them out?

In PS, I could just using healing.

What are equivilants for healing, clone, and clone aware (I have not use clone aware too much, but it would be wonderful for telephone poles)

Gotta tell you, I have never learned spot removal or adjustment brush in ACR as they seem pretty tough to understand.

thanks for helping me with this stuff Rob.

• 5. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                  Robert Shomler Level 4

"Where are settings? ACR does not have menu items. ?"

acr1.jpg

"I have telphone poles, easy way in ACR to get them out?"

Not that I know in ACR.

"Gotta tell you, I have never learned spot removal or adjustment brush in ACR as they seem pretty tough to understand."

You're seeking a lot of info and insight.  I'd recommend Jeff Schewe's book "The Digital Negative" (2013):  "http://thedigitalnegativebook.com/wp/"  You can find it at Peachpit Press, Amazon, or your book source of choice.

• 6. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                    kevin4545 Level 1

thanks Rob, will look into Jeff's new book.

I clicked image settings and it brought the image back to pre adjustment. What does image settings mean? confusing.

• 7. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                      Yammer Level 4

kevin4545 wrote:

Rob, camera raw defaults is great, but then you cannot get back to the five adjustments you just made!

You can step back in history just like you can in Photoshop, with Ctrl-Alt-Z.

• 8. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                        kevin4545 Level 1

just tested that Yammer, did not work for me.

• 9. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Yammer wrote:

You can step back in history just like you can in Photoshop, with Ctrl-Alt-Z.

Only for the current ACR launch...during the launch, ACR has virtually ulimited undo (I can't remember the exact number of steps back it can do but at least 100 steps). But one you commit (open or done) that undo is lost.

You really need to look into Snapshots as a way of storing multiple versions of raw settings..

• 10. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                            kevin4545 Level 1

Thanks Jeff.

Jeff, your opinon on Cloud subscription?

I'm thinking of staying put with CS5 for a long time, and I know that might annoy you, but I'm open to being talked out of that.

Big mindset change — I've never ever bought a yearly subscription for a software — something a bit slave like about that..

But I'm open to hear what the big dog says...

• 11. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

I would suggest upgrading to CS6...it will get new Camera Raw updates with ACR 8.x. Adobe will be updating CS6 for the forseeable future. I have the full CC because I use a lot of apps. I have no real issue with subscription vs perpetual license...but I always update to the most recent versions for professional reasons.

• 12. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                                kevin4545 Level 1

Thanks Jeff, — you get eveything free, you work there!

hmmm, $200 for CS6, was not going to do it, I was for the first time going to skip a version and then upgrade to CS7.  But there will be no CS7.  (so maybe I'll take your advice-- think this over...) Any promo code for upgrade, anyone?

• 13. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

kevin4545 wrote:

Thanks Jeff, — you get eveything free, you work there!

Just so you know...I don't work FOR Adobe...I sometimes work WITH Adobe, but I'm not now, nor never have been an employee of Adobe.

• 14. Re: Way to toggle back to how the shot used to be?
                                    kevin4545 Level 1

Did not know that Jeff. I thought you were helping create LR, in any case, I think you deserve some sort of discount!  Still leaning towards staying with CS5. Just don't feel compelled to fork out $200 for CS6, not sure I need much else right now.  I'd love to hear your opinon on the cloud and not having the option to buy standalone software anymore.