12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 12:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Importing into Elements 11

cedar orchard

In importing from Sony cybershot camera, I have inadvertently selected hd movie clips that are causing the import to hang up when they are encountered.  At that point, Organizer freezes and I can only regain control by forcing it to quit through control panel.  Then when I restart organizer it immediately tries to resume the import with the same result each time.  How can I force the import to abort so I can regain the use of organizer and try again?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Importing into Elements 11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends

What operating system are you using? How fast if your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

It also sounds like you're using the Organizer to import your video. Instead, just attach your camera to your computer via USB and use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool to import your video from your camera to your project.

Sony Cybershot footage, by the way, doesn't make the best video editing footage. Especially if it's saving its video as MJPEG-AVI footage. And that depends on which model of camera you're using.

If you're using a lower end model, like the W710, and you're finding the AVIs from the camera won't work in Premiere Elements, you may need to edit the footage with Windows MovieMaker or iMovie instead. These programs aren't as powerful, but they are more versatile, when it comes to using this type of video.

• 2. Re: Importing into Elements 11
            cedar orchard Level 1

I am using 64bit windows vista op system with 4 gig memory, intel quad core cpu 2.4 gig hz with 360 gig free space on hard drive.

My real question is how to stop Elements from trying to import this batch of files so I can reselect and move on.  Right now I am in a "do loop" trying to restart organizer without it immediately restarting to process the files that are causing the program to hang. 

I really don't want the video files in organizer...they are just in the selected files I tried to import directly from the camera.

• 3. Re: Importing into Elements 11
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you opened your Task Manager and terminated the process?

I've never heard of Premiere Elements attempted to redo a process after a reboot!

• 4. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                cedar orchard Level 1

That is exactly how I have terminated Elements, through task manager, and

yes it always tries to redo the process next time I start it.  There is

obviously a file somewhere that is trying to be read.  If I could find and

delete that file, I guess it would stop trying to process it.  Do you have

any idea what that file is and where to find it?

• 5. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

cedar orchard

When you were Task Manager/Processes, did you attempt to End Process for the "PhotoDownlo..."  which is the PhotoDownloader.exe found in the Windows 7 or 8 64 bit path of:

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Elements 11 Organizer

This is the file that I believe opens when you go into the Elements Organizer/File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/From Camera or Card Reader/PhotoDownloader. Is that "PhotoDownlo..." still showing in the Task Manager/Processes?

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                    cedar orchard Level 1

I did not try ending process for photodownloader, but was able to break the

chain by immediately pressing the "stop" button on the import window before

it got to a video file that seemed be the problem.  That worked and now I

have control of Organizer again! Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

• 7. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

cedar orchard

Great news.

Thanks for the follow up information on what worked for you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                        VDOSurfer Level 3

Always better off not running processes that will consume system resources when using any video editing application. Let Premiere Elements do that for you ...

• 9. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

VDOSurfer

cedar orchard initially wrote

At that point, Organizer freezes and I can only regain control by forcing it to quit through control panel

When I responded with the Task Manager/Processes/ and End Process for the specific process involved, I believed that no "natural" remedies existed.

After I posted the specific End Process, cedar orchard seemed to have found a "natural" way that cedar orchard had overlooked previously, namely.

but was able to break the

chain by immediately pressing the "stop" button on the import window before

it got to a video file that seemed be the problem.

ATR

• 10. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                            VDOSurfer Level 3

Yes, what I implied is that if editing videos is the end goal, any external process that can be avoided, should be avoided.  I understand that Photo downloader is an internal to Premiere Elements, but instead of Photo-downloader, we can place the file manually in the hard disk through the Windows explorer before the editing session begins. Once this is done, we can then use PrE to import this through the "Files/Folders" route, that has never been a trouble. I am always skeptical of any external workflows (resource consuming ones, especially) that are available and used.

If there is a high memory/high CPU operation that has run for say even 15 mins, the system RAM does get fragmented. That is the main reason for the applications running slow after that. For example, if I play Resident-Evil5 or FIFA 2011 on my less powerful dual-core 8GB laptop, and then get into Video editing, there is a marked difference in the system performance. Works fine after a system restart... Just my practice.

• 11. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

VDOSurfer,

Because of my general workflow, of creating each Project's sub-folder structure, and then using mostly Copies of Assets into those, before I even start the Project (say Still Images into the [Project Name]\Still Images sub-folder), I use the Windows Explorer to place those Copies into the appropriate sub-folder, and then Import within Premiere.

I have never used Organizer, as I prefer Adobe Bridge (included with many of my Adobe CS programs), but it is sort of like Organizer. Usually, I have my Still Images processed, and ready to go, so Windows Explorer works effectively for me.

Just my preferences,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Importing into Elements 11
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

VDOSurfer

Thanks for the clarification. I fully agree.

ATR