4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2013 2:19 PM by HarryPutnam RSS

About 'Open With' on bridge CS6

HarryPutnam Community Member

Running CS6 tools from the 'cloud' package

My goal is to have two options under Bridges' Right click/open with list.

1) photoshop CS6

2) Image Data Converter (Sony's raw converter for *.arw)

I see no way to effect this.  Using windows settings, I can make Image Data Converter the default for

*.arw files, then it appears on bridges' 'open with' list, but then there is no option for photoshop CS6.

Again using windows settings to make the default photoshop... I then have photoshop on bridges' 'open with'

list, but no 'Image Data Converter'.

But in both cases the only other thing on the list, is something called 'Com Surrogate 6.1', something I've

never heard of and have no idea what it is.   Further, nothing happens when I click that item.

So, what can I do to have "photoshop" and "Image Data Converter" on bridges' 'open with' menu?

I'm confused by Bridges' Edit/preferrences/ File assosciations, in that it appears NOT to offer any way to set

associations for Bridge... At the Sony item on the list it only offers you an opportunity to set the default for

'Windows explorer'... And the 'Com Surrgate 6.1' seems to be non-negoatiable.... Makes me wonder why the

File Associations is there on a Bridge preferences dialog if it does not offer a chance to make settings

concerning Bridge.  I already have several ways to get to the windows explorer settings.

• 1. Re: About 'Open With' on bridge CS6
          Curt Y Community Member

If you open a raw image in Bridge or Photoshop (open as) it will open in adobe camera raw.  THe file associations in Bridge can be changed to open image in another program but you have to browse to and click on the program.exe to open that program.  You can set that as the default program or just added to "open with".

Most users either use one program or another I believe.  Since ACR and the camera makers program are not the same there may be differences in how the programs write and read metadata.  If you use Sony program do some tests to see if Bridge can read it and vice versa.

Forget about com surrgate as no one knows what it is or does.  It is present in all Bridge Windows OS files but not Mac OS.

• 2. Re: About 'Open With' on bridge CS6

Curt Y wrote:

If you open a raw image in Bridge or Photoshop (open as) it will open in adobe camera raw.  THe file associations in Bridge can be changed to open image in another program but you have to browse to and click on the program.exe to open that program.  You can set that as the default program or just added to "open with".

As mentioned, I did do the browse select thing a couple of different ways, however

I didn't see any option concerning that last bit.   Curt Y > or just added to "open with".

[...]

Most users either use one program or another I believe.  Since ACR and the camera makers program are not the same there may be differences in how the programs write and read metadata.  If you use Sony program do some tests to see if Bridge can read it and vice versa.

That is also true for me... however occasionally I want this or that functionality of the sony tool.  It has a few different adjustments related to options on sony cameras and also has a straight forward 'sharpen' adjustment.  Whereas I think

sharpening may be hidden under `clarity' (which also appears to do a few other things besides sharpen) in ACR. 

Thanks for the heads up about meta data... as it happens I rarely am concerned with meta data and so had not noticed

any of that.

Oh, and thanks for the input about 'com surrogate...'.

PS - I just noticed after a close and reopen of bridge, that after having set the sony tool as default in prefs, I now see ACR is an item on right click menu... not under "Open with" but a stand alone item "open with camera raw" all by itself.   -- Cool.

And I have a hunch if I change the default back to PS in prefs, I will see the sony tool as stand alone... that would be the

best result.. since I don't use the sony tool all that often.

• 3. Re: About 'Open With' on bridge CS6
              Curt Y Community Member

HarryPutnam wrote:

Thanks for the heads up about meta data... as it happens I rarely am concerned with meta data and so had not noticed

any of that.

Metadata is any field in your data inclucing exposure, ISO, date, file size, color settings, sharpening, keyword, etc.

• 4. Re: About 'Open With' on bridge CS6

Curt Y wrote:

HarryPutnam wrote:

any of that.

Metadata is any field in your data inclucing exposure, ISO, date, file size, color settings, sharpening, keyword, etc.

Well, ok yeah, I guess in some sense I am concerned with meta data like the name of a file etc.  But I assumed you meant some of the more essoteric items... Are you saying the sony software is likely to mess up even the most basic of meta data?

I haven't noticed it.  But like I tried to say... I mostly concern myself with the appearance in determining what modifications I want to make.