14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 5:55 PM by Steve Werner

InDesign CC selected text color

dave9621 Level 1

I've just started using INDD CC and am having a problem. When I select text in my document the background color is a dark blue (which is fine) BUT the text itself remains whatever color is assigned to it. So if the text is black and I select the text I get black text on dark blue and you can't see the seclected text (see screen capture below). In previous versions (and every other program in the world) the selected text would reverse out in white. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a way of changing this? The way it is now the new INDD CC is unusable because of this "bug" (?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using INDD CC (64 bit) on a PC running Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). I've checked my graphics card driver and it's up to date.

Thanks!

screencapture.jpg

• 1. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They did change the way the text highlights in InDesign CC.

On a Mac, it uses the System "Highlight" color (System Preferences > General > Highlight Color). I assume it probably does the same in Windows. Wherever that is set in Windows, change it to the highlight color you want.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
            dave9621 Level 1

Steve, thanks for your speedy response. I was able to get into my Windows settings and change the background from the dark blue to whatever color I like, so that helps (THANKS!). But the real issue is that the selected text does not turn white (even though that's what's specified in my Windows settings), it remains black. I really want to have the selection reverse out as it always has for years and years going all the way back to PageMaker (I know, I'm dating myself)...see the screen capture from INDD CS6. Any ideas?

screencapture2.jpg

• 3. Re: InDesign CC selected text color

Sorry, for whatever reason, InDesign CC codes the selection color differently. There's no way I know of to select the old behavior.

• 4. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

In InDesign CS6 text highlight color is dependent on the background fill of the text frame and independent of the OS hightlight color. In CC version it seems that the code has changed due to UI modifications. I'll highlight this to be considered as a bug.

2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                  dave9621 Level 1

Okay, thanks for reporting it as a bug. One question for you both, what are you seeing on your end? When you highlight text do the characters become white on the colored background? Or is this something that is happening specifically to me?

Thanks to you both for your help.

• 6. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                    PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

This is what I see when the ID CC window is out of focus for taking a screenshot. Otherwise, the active window for ID CC has dark blue selection(as per selection in Windows appearance settings) with black text.

ID CC bug.PNG

• 7. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                      dave9621 Level 1

You're having the same issue as me then...which is a relief, I was worried that it was something on my system. I guess I'll hope that it get's fixed in an update down the road. As least I have a working solution where I can make the background of the selection a lighter color so I can still see the selected text. Thanks again for looking into it.

• 8. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                        dave9621 Level 1

Does anyone know if there has been on movement on this issue? There's been a couple of updated to InDesign and I always hope this problem will be addressed. The program is unusable as it is. It seems like it's a no brainer to have InDesign work like every other program out there and always had before ver. CC. Please help, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I bought CC so I could upgrade InDesign and I can't make use of it. If I knew a fix was is coming in the the near future I'd be happy to know it.

Thanks for any info you can lend.

Dave

• 9. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's nothing to be addressed. It is what it is given the new UI.

Try opening a new window of the same file if you find it distracting or difficult to work with.

If you really want to be heard, file a feature request, not a bug report. A bug report will be dismissed as "As Designed"

• 10. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                            dave9621 Level 1

Bob, I'll do that, submit a feature request. But if this is truly what they meant for it to do "as designed" it was a bit short sighted. Every other program I have, including Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC, turns the text WHITE when selected so you can easily see what you're working with. InDesign CC has changed that so that the text color does not change. So I had to reset my systems "selected text" color to a light blue which impacts EVERY program on my system just so I can see what I'm selecting in InDesign CC...that's a bit crazy for a program "feature". I just wish they would use the old system, I can't be the only person that feels this way. I'll submit a feature request and see where that gets me.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                              Jim Canestrari

The problem lies with the Windows UI themes, particularly the Aero ones, but you can adjust the theme you're currently using to your liking.  Right click on the desktop > Personalize > WIndow Color (at the bottom of the Personalization window) > Window Color and Appearance - then click on Advanced appearance settings...

Capture1.JPG

And then I selected a lighter gray (in color 1).  Yeah, it's a few steps that I wish I didn't have to make - just because someone at Adobe thought, "that's not something that's gonna be a problem for anyone."

• 12. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                                dave9621 Level 1

THANK YOU ADOBE!! As of today's latest InDesign CC update this problem has been resolved!! Thank you for taking care of this, I can finally start using the CC version from here on out!

• 13. Re: InDesign CC selected text color
                                  Shlomit Heymann Level 1

It's not working on the Mac.

• 14. Re: InDesign CC selected text color

Shlomit,

If you update InDesign CC to the latest version, 9.2, the selection color in layout view is the same as it was in InDesign CS6 and earlier. It works on a Macintosh. I have two Macs running Mac OS X 10.9.2, and here is a screen capture:

SelectionColor.jpg

In the Story Editor, however, the selection color is determined by the selection color specified in the operating system preferences (System Preferences > General > Highlight Color).