29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 11:41 PM by MMVideography

shaky to watch.

MMVideography

I created a project with Premiere Pro and burnt it to DVD and Duel DVD using Encore and it is shaky. It was perfect to watch on playback with Pro so the problem must be with Encore. Have a missed  a setting. Im new to Pro but have been using elements for around 3 years.

Until I got CC Pro I have never used Encore before so watched and followed on Adobe TV to create this disc.

• 1. Re: shaky to watch.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

Also... exactly what are you editing (and the source of the video) and what is your export setting?

• 2. Re: shaky to watch.
            MMVideography Level 1

Hi John. I am editing a wedding video.

When I downloaded pro a couple of weeks ago, I put some files onto the time line and burnt them.. All was good.

This is a full wedding, 1hour and 50 minutes, some parts with 2 cameras. Avchd files.

Sorry not sure on export setting.... MPEG2-DVD. Is this right.

• 3. Re: shaky to watch.
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I edit AVCHD and go to DVD with great results http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 so I really don't know why you don't have the same results

• 4. Re: shaky to watch.
                MMVideography Level 1

Yes the one I played with was fine but it was short.. Just to have a go at burning with Encore. I have not burnt or used Encore before.

This is longer and also using the 2 cameras footage together.

I have watched many tutorials trying to get to know Pro as it is quite different to Elements.

I followed the Adobe TV to the letter but maybe I missed something. Not sure.

So you dont have any other suggestions.  I contacted Adobe yesterday and they said to go to chat this morning after 7am today.

At 9am they told me to contact them through chat in 14 hours.. so lol 11pm tonight.

Thank you so much John for your time. If you think of anything that will save me editing this complete wedding day again, please let me know. Ill try anything to fix this problem. Worried I will do the lot again and have the same result.

• 5. Re: shaky to watch.
                  MMVideography Level 1

The picture is like it is filmed with the DT's. Shaky like your cold.. Most of this footage has been shot using a tripod so I know it is not that. Would love any help I can get please.

• 6. Re: shaky to watch.
                    Alan Craven Level 4

It sounds as though you have reversed the field order of your video.  AVCHD is always upper field first  (if it is not progressive).  Encore may have reversed this to make your MPEG-DVD files LFF.

If your original footage was shot as progressive, a lot of AVCHD is actually saved as PsF - this has two identical fields, and Premiere tends to see it as interlaced.  If you did shoot progressive, then you need to use the Interpret Footage command on your files to tell Premiere that they are Progressive.

• 7. Re: shaky to watch.
                      MMVideography Level 1

Hello Alan.

Sorry.. It is all double dutch to me.. How would I have reversed the field order???

How do I do this. When I was burning on Encore, I did choose Progressive Wide screen..

Pardon my ignorance. I know how to do stuff but dont know all the tecnical jargon for it all. Most of what I have done over the years is all self taught.

When I look at how my avchd files are saved in the folders, they are saved at AVCHD.. not PsF. Is this what you mean.

• 8. Re: shaky to watch.
                        Alan Craven Level 4

Right, let's take this in stages:

Is your original video shot progressive (e.g. 25p), or interlaced (e.g. 25i) - I quote 25 frames per second as I am in PAL land, you may be 29.whatever if you are in NTSC land.

If it is interlaced (25i), then there are two fields to each frame, one shot slightly after the other.  HD video is ALWAYS upper field first.  Unfortunately SD video (for DVD) is often lower field first.  If you the field order is reversed within Encore (it can do this) then that leads to your jagged motion.  If you think about it, video of an object moving R to L across the screen would show the second field of each frame slightly to the right of the first, then slightly right again repeated for the next frame.  If you reverse this then the smooth progression from frame to frame will be lost.

Let's leave it there for the moment, until we know whether we are talking about interlaced or progressive video.

• 9. Re: shaky to watch.
                          MMVideography Level 1

Im just going through it all again. When I export, the settings in Video, field order are set at "None(Progressive).

The other choices I have are.

Upper

Lower

Automatic, Based on Source

But in Export Settings, I have my preset at NTSC, Progressive Wide Screen High Quality.

• 10. Re: shaky to watch.
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Encore may have reversed this to make your MPEG-DVD files LFF.

That was CS5/5.5. It was corrected in CS6.

• 11. Re: shaky to watch.

Keep everything interlaced for dvd. Hence the jumpy footage.

• 12. Re: shaky to watch.
                                Alan Craven Level 4

Ann Bens wrote:

Encore may have reversed this to make your MPEG-DVD files LFF.

That was CS5/5.5. It was corrected in CS6.

Yes, indeed, Ann.  but we do not know which version of Encore is in use here.  Hence the "may".

Also, we still do not know for certain whether the source video is progressive or interlaced.  From post 9, it seems that the source video may well be progressive.

• 13. Re: shaky to watch.
                                  MMVideography Level 1

Sorry Alan and Ann that I have taken so long to get back to you.

I am using CS6 Encore as it comes with CC Premiere Pro. When I have burnt projects previously it was always with "share" in Elements so Encore is very different to what I am use to.

When you say from Post 9.. I was following the instructions for Adobe tv.  I was following the settings they used.

I am from NTSC land and my frame rate is 25fps

• 14. Re: shaky to watch.
                                    cc_merchant Level 4

I am from NTSC land and my frame rate is 25fps

PAL = 25 fps

NTSC = 29.97 fps

• 15. Re: shaky to watch.
                                      MMVideography Level 1

I hope I am right.. Im Australian so as far as I know we use NTSC. As I said. I am self taught so not up with all the tech talk. I just know what I know and stumble my way through the rest. I dont have any other videographers around me or any that I can communicate wiht to help me along the way. So please forgive my ingnorance.

• 16. Re: shaky to watch.
                                        Alan Craven Level 4

If you are in Australia, then you are PAL and the frame rate is 25 FPS.  That is certain.

If you are using Encore CS6, then, as Ann said it does not automatically reverse the field order for DVDs made from HD video.

So your source video is shot at 25 fps.  now, was it shot as progressive (1920x1080 and 25p) or interlaced (1920x1080 and 25i)?

• 17. Re: shaky to watch.
                                          MMVideography Level 1

OK> So there is my first problem. Im choosing everything as NTSC.

Could choosing NTSC instead of PAL be the biggest part of my problem

How do I find out if it is 25i or 25.

• 18. Re: shaky to watch.
                                            MMVideography Level 1

Also if it is any help. Im using a Sony HDR-AX2000

• 19. Re: shaky to watch.
                                              Alan Craven Level 4

MMVideography wrote:

OK> So there is my first problem. Im choosing everything as NTSC.

Could choosing NTSC instead of PAL be the biggest part of my problem

How do I find out if it is 25i or 25.

Yes, if you choose an NTSC preset for your DVD, when your source video is PAL, this could certainly be the cause of your problems.  When your video is encoded to be legal for a DVD if the wrong preset (NTSC instead of PAL, in your case) is chosen then the encoder has to change the frame rate from 25 to approximately 30 frames per second.

Before you do anything else, try creating another DVD from your edited video, but this time choose a PAL DVD preset.

Premiere and Media encoder offer both PAL Widescreen High Quality, or PAL Progressive Wide Screen High Quality.  Choose the first.

The video settings should be MPEG2. 720 x 576 pixels, 25 frames per second, and lower field first.  Leave the default settings as they are create your DVD and see if your DVD video is still shaky.

Your camera is a good one and should produce a high quality DVD. 

Forget about progressive for the moment until we see whether what we have so far works for you.  Free programs such as GSpot or MediaInfo can be used to tell the format of your video files and would show if it progressive. 

Your camera is capable of shooting progressive video, but you would have to select this in the menus, the default is usually interlaced.  If you turn on the camera in record mode, there will be an indication somewhere in the screen which will show whether the video you are shooting is progressive or not.  On my older, but similar, Sony camera it shows 25p near the bottom left hand corner of the screen

• 20. Re: shaky to watch.

The video settings should be MPEG2. 720 x 576 pixels, 25 frames per second, and lower field first

No they should stay upper as the source is upper: mpeg2-dvd.

If standard settings have been used in the ax2000 its 50i.

• 21. Re: shaky to watch.

First of all you need to correct the timeline.

Make a new sequence with avchd prestet 1080i50.

Copy all clip from old seqeunce into new sequence.

Now you can export to mpeg-2dvd.

Pal 720x576 widescreen

upper field.

Now you have 2 files one for video and one for audio

Import that into Encore.

• 22. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                    Alan Craven Level 4

Ann Bens wrote:

The video settings should be MPEG2. 720 x 576 pixels, 25 frames per second, and lower field first

No they should stay upper as the source is upper: mpeg2-dvd.

If standard settings have been used in the ax2000 its 50i.

Whoops, yes!!!

From your second post - I wish we were sure that the footage is interlaced.  The OP's post #9 suggests that it may be progressive, unless he chose the Progressive preset in error.

• 23. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                      cc_merchant Level 4

Basic rule: KNOW what you are shooting in what format.

If you don't know, better not shoot at all, especially with a prosumer camera.

• 24. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                        MMVideography Level 1

Ann and Alan. Thank you so much for your time. I have been indisposed all day and will go through and process all your information tonight when I have time to go through it all. I want to thank you so much for all your time and help.  I dont think you realise how much I appreciate it.

cc_merchant. Thank you for your opinion. Maybe I should give up but that would mean that the 4 groups of children at the kindergartens that I do 4 seperate videos for, for the end of the year, so the kindergarten can sell to the parents will miss out on $2500 of fundrasing that they dont have to lift a finger to create. I dont make a cent and donate all my time, editing time, dvd's, boxs, paper, printing on both the dvds as well as the jackets and the travelling I do about 8-10 times to each group at the 2 kinders, to make this DVD fundraiser happen. This is all because I dont have the knowledge of what format I am shooting in. I have never had an issue with this sort of thing as I have always bought Australian Made.. This product is CC and I have to buy online as I can not buy CS any longer. Yes.. maybe I should just give it up but with the help of kind people like Alan and Ann who have been so willing to help me, it spurs me on to keep up lots of volunteer work as well as my beautiful brides who continue to support me.  Sorry for my rant but we all have to start somewhere.

• 25. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                          MMVideography Level 1

Hi Ann and Alan.

My camera says. 1080 50i

component output 1080i 576i

I burnt a dvd with pal and it worked wonderfully. No shaky screen at all.  I left it at widescreen and I had left it in progressive (I had burnt it before I checked out all your information) but im thinking now that that is what the "i" meant.

I am doing as you suggested Ann and in the settings, what do you and Alan recommend I should choose..

AVCHD 1080i anamorphic

AVCHD 1080i Square Pixel

AVCHD 1080p Anamorphic

AVCHD 1080p Square Pixel

AVCHD Square Pixel.

Im assuming it is one of the first 2.

Now is it upper or lower.

Thank you so much for your valuable time.

• 26. Re: shaky to watch.

AVCHD 1080i Square Pixel. And make sure its PAL (25 frames) and Upper.

HD is always upper.

• 27. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                              MMVideography Level 1

And D1/DV Pal (1.0940)

or should I be using

D1/DV Pal Widescreen 16:9 1.4587  

When I burnt the last dvd yesterday... It was smaller on the tv. Handles around the actual movie. I tried different settins on both the tv and falso the DVD and nothing helped.  How do I repair this also please Ann.. 

• 28. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                                Alan Craven Level 4

Your High Definition original is widescreen with an aspect ratio of 16:9.  That is achieved by using square pixels - 1920 x 1080 (1920/1080 = 16/9).  The figures you quote in your post can be explained.

For historical reasons standard definition video uses rectangular pixels.  The original aspect ratio was 4:3.  for PAL this was achieved by using 720x576 pixels - but these had an aspect ratio of 1.094:1, i.e. 1.0940 times as wide as they are tall..  If you do the maths, you will find that for 4:3 screen shape, you would need 768x576 square pixels.

When the switch to widescreen was made, in their wisdom, they stuck to 720x576 pixels, so to achieve 16:9, they had to make each pixel significantly more obese - 1.4587 times as wide as they are tall.

Right, now to the present.  Your video was shot as HD.  All true HD is 16:9 with square pixels.

Hence your SD output for DVD also needs to be 16:9, or the picture will be distorted.

So you must choose the D1/DV PAL widescreen 16:9 preset.

• 29. Re: shaky to watch.
                                                                  MMVideography Level 1

Hi Alan and Ann. Thank you so much for all your help. I have burnt off the dvd with your help and it has come up beautifully.

I cant thank you enough for all your help.

Im sure I will need more help over the coming weeks but at this stage my settings are pretty good.

Warmest regards