1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2007 12:04 PM by ChristopherCesarz

Transform Twiddling

benthroop
      Hi Everyone,

I'm making something akin to a page layout app. I've got items on a page and although there are some methods for individually selecting UIComponents and putting scale/rotate/move handles on them, I have been working on something that does multi-selection. It does this with a Canvas that is the "Selection" and then it moves the items to and from this Canvas. It works well...

Until I start transforming that Canvas.

I had been using Peter Ent's excellent Rotator.as and Resizor.as classes from his Scrapbook example. They worked great for single items. Now I'm applying them in what I would think is no different a scenario, but I'm seeing very odd results. For example, if I perform a resize first, rotation works. If I start with rotation, the object disappears. I'm sure it is getting some really awful transform, but I can't find any truly odd numbers.

The other strange thing that I"m seeing is that as I'm using a Canvas for my Selection area, it is reporting one width and height when queried, but then when it draws it is way outside of the expected extents.

OK so what am I asking here? Basically, I want to know if it's cool to be working directly on the transform matrix of Flex components or if I'm asking for trouble. I'm not sure of any other way to do the stuff I'm trying to do, but my issues are so confusing right now I've got that sinking "i'm not doing this right" feeling. I've tried randomly invalidating the display or size, but it doesn't seem to do much.

Thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Transform Twiddling
          ChristopherCesarz
          Is the object close to x = 0, x = application.width, y = application.height, or y = 0? The rotate function rotates the object's corner around a center point. In result to this, the object may go off the screen, which makes it seem like it suddenly disappeared. If you resize the object then rotate, I believe the rotate takes the original size of the object and rotates around that point. If you resize the object to make it smaller, the smaller object may rotate around the bigger object's origin.