17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 5:58 AM by Eugene Tyson

PSD file placing in to indesign

Peteratrose

I can not place psd spot colour files into indesign

• 1. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What color mode? process colors + spot color works.

• 2. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What happens when you try?

• 3. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
              Peteratrose Level 1

They are seperated spot channel files which have been created from old scans

they are in multichannel color mode. And indesign is in a standard print mode.

• 4. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign

So I think that the file is that what was an EPS DCS2.0 file in the old times in the last millenium.

InDesign is not supposed to use for a preseperated workflow, so I would recommend to use a normal process colour image (cmyk or rgb) with addtional spot colour channels, and leave the process colour's channel empty and place this in InDesign. This will work.

• 5. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Peteratrose – you could save your multichannel images as "Photoshop DCS2".
                  InDesign can place DCS2 and use that in a composite PDF workflow.

Export to PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-4 will work.

Uwe

• 6. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign

Laubender schrieb:

@Peteratrose – you could save your multichannel images as "Photoshop DCS2".
                    InDesign can place DCS2 and use that in a composite PDF workflow.

Export to PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-4 will work.

Uwe

Sorry, but I will not recommend to use any form of eps in new documents. If you have a stock of old files it is ok to use them but please don't recommend to create new files based on any form of eps. DCS2 is a form of eps.

• 7. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign

@Willi, you need not to be sorry…

For Peteratrose the "damage", so to say, was already done perhaps some years ago.
                      We cannot know how many psds in color mode multichannel he has to process.

The easiest way for him would be re-saving them as "Photoshop DSC2".

InDesign can handle that.

It's not arbitrary EPS code, but well-formed Encapsulated PostScript from another, well-trusted Adobe product, PhotoShop :-)

You cannot change back simply to CMYK + Spot Color when you are in multichannel mode.
                      Switching mode would just merge the Spot Color(s) to the CMYK color.

Maybe there are some recorded PhotoShop Actions or scripts around for ORDERLY copying  channel by channel to a new C+M+Y+K+Spot Color(s) file AND getting the name(s) of the spot channels right.

Let's wait with further recommendations, 'til Peteratrose is commenting…

Uwe

• 8. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                        Peteratrose Level 1

All this has been a great help I have been using DCS2 as well and does work but it causes some problems with previewing and proofing in our workflow. Here's a little background to the problem the company I work for has (dare I say) always used Quarkxpress and they want move over to indesign, in Quark none of this is problem it will take PSD EPS DCS2 all multichannel spot colours and export to PDFX fine with no problem in our workflow. It is a promotional calendar company with a huge libary of graphics, that need to be processed in the realm of 10,000 so you can understand the scale of my problem. Thankfuly not all the graphics are photoshop spot channels but large majority are, I realy want to move over to Indesign but finding it very difficult. A big part of the problem is the companys we deal with, never had correct artwork and over the years we have had create the graphics usinfg all sorts of different technque's from scans and wed graphics etc. I just thought the move wouldnt be such a problem because all the applications are Adobe thanks for you all time and help.

• 9. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign

Laubender wrote:

InDesign can handle that.

It's not arbitrary EPS code, but well-formed Encapsulated PostScript from another, well-trusted Adobe product, PhotoShop :-)

Uwe

Thanks for your clarification.

It is true that EPS comes from Adobe, but DCS is patented from Quark Inc. That is why Quark is supporting it so much.

• 10. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign

I have been using DCS2 as well and does work but it causes some problems with previewing and proofing in our workflow

@Peteratrose – can you specify what problems *exactly* arise with previewing and proofing?
                            Since we can Export to PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-4 from InDesign, there should be no problems in APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine) workflows…

Uwe

• 11. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think one of the issues here is spot colours - and my question is is anyone even using spot colours anymore?

I certainly have a spot colour mood board, but I haven't printed a spot colour job in about 10 years. Printing prices have come to a point where 4 colour is just as cost effective as 1 or 2 or 3 colour jobs. I even know one printer that takes a spot colour job in and runs it on a 4 colour machine because they don't have time or the need to clean up the 4 colour machine to run a spot colour. It just houses CMYK in the wells and runs every job that way. In 15 years not a single complaint.

Just wondering - is there any need for these files to be a CMYK+spot? Can't you just convert them all to CMYK and save them as a PSD or TIFF and be done with it?

Just to note, InDesign is very different to Quark - what worked in Quark won't necessarily work in InDesign - and you should forget how Quark works and focus on how InDesign handles things.

• 12. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign

Oh yes, I have often to print spot colors. But most of them in vectors not raster images.

• 13. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                                  Peteratrose Level 1

I never new that, all comes clear now.

• 14. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                                    Peteratrose Level 1

If only that would be my dream unfortunately this company has prided itself on spot colour work for years, and our customer base expects it which I know is crazy in this day and age. Also when we have tryed to convert to cmyk before, some of the customers that have always had spot colours refuse the job because they dont separate correctly and do not look same.

• 15. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                                      Peteratrose Level 1

It would help alot if they were all vectors if only....

• 16. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                                        SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Just wondering - is there any need for these files to be a CMYK+spot? Can't you just convert them all to CMYK and save them as a PSD or TIFF and be done with it?

Eugene

Of course there is still a need for CMYK+Spot; there are colors that just can't be reproduced in CMYK, and spot colors offfer a consistany from run to run that would be difficult to maintain with 4-color. That can be important in packaging prints, when boxes from different print runs could wind up on the shelf together.

• 17. Re: PSD file placing in to indesign
                                          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry about the generalisation of print runs and needs - I didn't mean to generalise the whole idea of not needing CMYK + Spot.

Of course CMYK + Spots are needed and I really shouldn't be suggesting that it's ok to rid the spot colour by converting them to CMYK only.

Please ignore my previous post.