8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 5:14 PM by Tobesters

How can I get my renders to work in the background?

Tobesters Level 1

Hi,

I installed After Effects pretty much without changing anything, so the settings are more or less default.

I'm using a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.8 and After Effects CS6

I have enabled media and disk cache, max disc cache is at 100GB and I have an external drive (with 900GB spare) as the volume selected beneath that option. My internal SSD has not much spare on it. I previously had the internal SSD as the disc cache and still had this same problem.

My project is 1920 x 1080 25fps - And I'm trying to render to Quicktime. I've tried rendering to stills and then outputting to Quicktime (so as to have less computational effort), then running them through but the same problem persists.

If After Effects is the application in focus the project renders fine.

If After Effects is not the application in focus - ie. I work with it rendering in the background, the 'FINISHED' sound plays and the render is cut short a short while after I started working in another program.

The project render time is about an hour, so it's not really convenient.

I've googled extensively and posted this here before and no solution.

Please help.

Toby

ps. ADOBE: Don't mean to be rude, but is there some fix for this text entry box where the cursor randomly jumps to a previous line? - still broken guys!

• 1. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best way to keep working is to open the Adobe Media Encoder, load in your saved AEP, pick a comp you want to render, pick a preset suitable for your desired output, and then either go back to AE and work on another project or open up another application.

It sounds like you've allocated way too many resources to AE so that when you try and work in other apps you don't have anything left. This will cause problems in your other apps as well as cause problems in AE.

• 2. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
            Tobesters Level 1

Hi Rick,

That's cool - I've not used that app before and it seems to be chugging along happily, so thanks for that.

So I guess there's time where I"d like to not have to use AME for the rendering if I want to check my email or what have you... do you think the media/cache settings are the key to the render-quit issue I'm experiencing?

• 3. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I run AE on a MBPro R with no problems but I've completely turned off Disk Cache and I leave at 4 GB ram for other apps (I have 16). If I had 8 GB I'd probably leave 3 or maybe 4. I don't have any problems at all, but most of the time I'm not rendering using the Render Cue. I can't get the things I need to get done in AE every day if I tie up the machine for rendering. About half the time I'm working in AE the AME is chugging away on something.

• 4. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
                Tobesters Level 1

Well looks like AME is the way to go for the time being, and I'm sure that will most likely end up being the end of it. - unless someone experienced the same thing as me. It seems to just occur whatever settings I have - perhaps a service pack or OS upgrade will sort it out if I need it.

Thanks for the help.

I reall yhate typing in this thing!

• 5. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

How much RAM is in your computer? How much have you reserved for other applications in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences?

Also, make sure that you've installed the latest updates:

http://adobe.ly/lsrkmJ

• 6. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
                    Tobesters Level 1

Hi Todd,
                    Thanks, I've now installed the updates. Unfortunately the problem persists and furthermore, AME does not go the distance with rendering the full project, dropping the process after around the 5-8% mark (on first and second try).

I can render the project successfully if AE is left unattended in the 'foreground'

Please find attached screengrabs of my system profile and current AE settings (Disk and Cache settings were changed recently from having 100GB disk cache on external USB3 drive - still same behaviour).

I notice there is no error log produced from AE as it seems to think the render is successfully completed. Please advise if I can produce a log to help troubleshoot this problem, as it seems AME does not provide a workaround. Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 11.00.50 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 11.00.05 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 10.59.48 AM.png
                    Thanks in advance.

• 7. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Start by reserving more RAM for other applications. Beginning with 1/3 of installed RAM reserved for other applications is a good start, so ~5GB in your case.

Also, try with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing turned off. Depending on what you're doing in Photoshop, you may not have enough RAM to both use it and use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing at the same time.

See this page for information about memory and performance in After Effects: http://adobe.ly/dC0MdR

• 8. Re: How can I get my renders to work in the background?
                        Tobesters Level 1

Thanks Todd,

I'm an hour or so into the rendering and have been using Modo and Photoshop and AE is now around 80% done, so I'm fully where I wanted to be thanks to the advice.

i've bookmarked that page and video and will have a look at that later too.

Much appreciated!