4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 6:32 AM by hwormser

URLs disappearing from Hyperlinks panel

hwormser Level 1

I have a calendar with about 100 hyperlinks that point to various web sites. I update the file twice per year. I know that the hyperlinks were working the last time I opened the file because I still have the pdf that I exported with all the links in place. However, when I open the InDesign document now, about half of the links in the hyperlinks panel have a red symbol with a "?" next to them, and when I open the hyperlink option, there is no URL. I can rebuild the file from the links in the old pdf, but I'm wondering what could have caused this problem and what I can do to avoid it in the future.

• 1. Re: URLs disappearing from Hyperlinks panel
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you opeing in the same version of ID? Has it always been in this version?

• 2. Re: URLs disappearing from Hyperlinks panel
            hwormser Level 1

No, I'm opening it in CS6 and the last version was in CS6, but the version before that was probably in CS5.

• 3. Re: URLs disappearing from Hyperlinks panel
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are enough reports of problems with legacy files opened directly in newer versions since the release of CS5 that I now as a matter of course suggest you never do it, but instead export from the original version to .inx or .idml (depending on how old the file is) and open that for conversion. Many of the mysterious problems that get reported, like sudden failures after weeks or months of working with a file, seem to have as at least one possible cause the direct converison of a legacy file.

I'm not saying that's what happened -- and constant "recycling" of files by doing a Save As and deleting old stuff, then adding new, is another path to file corruption -- but since you seem to be at the point where you are starting again, I would advise expprting your CS5 version to .idml and work from that (see Remove minor corruption by exporting). You should also set up a template for this job that has all of the styles and so forth along with the things that don't change, if that's at all possible with a calendar, and use that to start each new edition.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: URLs disappearing from Hyperlinks panel
                hwormser Level 1

Thanks, Peter. I imagine you are correct. This is a big file with a very complex table, so it's hard to imagine a way to set up a template that wouldn't involve a huge amount of reformatting each time, but I'll try exporting to IDML next time before I start making revisions.