23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 8:32 AM by ECBowen

$4K for 4K Video Editing PC Build Suggestions

MichaelSeebach

Hello!  I will be editing a small independent feature that will be shot on the RED Epic at 4K 2:1 with 8:1 compression.  There will be some chroma keying and a little AE work.  My challenge is to build a PC capable of handling this in the latest version of Premiere Pro with a budget of $4K.  I don't want to go any higher than $4K, but I want to try and maximize the bang for my buck.

I've been doing a lot of research and looking at other people's builds.  I put together a part list in PC Part Picker.  It has the CPU, GPU, MOBO, etc.  It has an SSD for the Windows boot drive, and an extra HDD for my gaming needs.  Is this a good configuration?  Anything I should change out for better parts?

The one thing I have not included are the editing HDDs.  I have not been able to find any good advice that fits my situation.  I've got $1,500 left for the HDDs, and I want to create an internal system that can give me the speeds I need for 4K video.  How should I spend that remaining $1,500 in order to get the maximum speed out of an internal HDD setup?

I will have a separate external HDD for backup of the whole project, and I will need around 3-4TB for the project media on the internal HDD.

Here's my current parts list:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19rR4

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19rR4/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO ATX  LGA2011 Motherboard  ($288.98 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($509.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($129.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  ($659.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($175.50 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.98 @ Outlet PC)

Total: $2523.40

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I want to buy the parts around Nov. to Dec. in order to take advantage of sales and price drops around that time period.  I'm not worrying about case and cooling yet, because I might have that covered if all the components fit.  I already have other accesories like the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Any advice would be much appreciated!