6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 10:35 AM by OEGI_SZ

The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop

LFCNik Level 1

I'm new to elements and have been enjoying learning it up to now, however when I try to experiment with the new filters, Graphic Novel, Comic and Pen & Ink the program crashes and  closes down.

My laptop is not a top of the range model by any means but the other filters all work correctly.

I'm using a Toshiba C660 laptop with 4BG of Ram, the video card is just the standard built in one. 

So, my question is, is it the laptop not being powerful enough or do I just need to alter some settings within elements to get them to work?

I appreciate this may be a newbie question but I would be grateful for any help.

• 1. Re: The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop
          mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

I would say there is nothing wrong with your laptop except that you are using a 4GB RAM so this would suggest that you have a 64 bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows 8.  XP on 32 bit machines (and Win7 and Win 8 32 bit machines) never recognized anything more than 3GB.

This said, I would think resetting your preferences file might solve the problem.  See if these instructions are of any help:

<

http://www.designerdigitals.com/digital-scrapbooking/tips/questions/172/How+can+I+reset+th e++preferences+in+Photoshop+Elements%3F++

>

G/L

• 2. Re: The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop
            LFCNik Level 1

Thanks for the reply, The laptop is running 64 bit windows 7.  I followed the instructions in the link and reset elements preferences file, loaded up a picture and tried to add the Comic filter but again elements just closed down but this time with the dialog box which states that the program is closing and windows is checking for a solution, which it does not find.

Before I bought elements I did download the trial version of CS6 however when the trial ended I thought it was too expensive and bought elements instead.  The trial version of CS6 has not been active for about 4 or 5 months but it is still on the laptop (never got round to deleting it). 

Could this be the causing the issue?

• 3. Re: The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop
              Barbara B. Level 7

Could this be the causing the issue?

Highly unlikely. One other thing to check--be sure the auto-analyzer is not running in the organizer. (organizer preferences>media analysis)

That uses up a fair amount of system resources, but the simple fact is that these filters are very processor intensive. I would also make sure you don't have other programs running in the background when using them.

• 4. Re: The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop
                LFCNik Level 1

OK, I may have found something.

I did as you said and unticked all boxes in the media analysis preferences in organizer but this did not help.  Then as I was looking for other options I clicked on Help and then system info whilst in editor.

This produces a long list of available system resources and which components are installed etc.  However for the 3 filters which cause the shutdown it states No Version as shown below:-

Colored Pencil 12.0

Comic NO VERSION

CompuServe GIF 12.0.2

Grain 12.0

Graphic Novel NO VERSION

Graphic Pen 12.0

Patchwork 12.0

Pen and Ink NO VERSION

Photocopy 12.0

It seems that these filters were not installed from the disc.  I think I may have to uninstall Elements and then reinstall from disc to see if this will fix it.

If I do this will I encounter any problems with the serial number as its been used once?

• 5. Re: The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop
                  Barbara B. Level 7

If I do this will I encounter any problems with the serial number as its been used once?

You shouldn't, since activation is tied to hardware, not number of times you install it.

• 6. Re: The New Filters in Elements 11 Crash my Laptop
                    OEGI_SZ Level 1

Hello Barbara

I have the same issue as LFCNik. I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 8 Pro, 64bit and 4 GB RAM. Because of the Comic Filter I bought Photoshop Elements 11 and I could use the filter once. Since I tried to use it again the program always crashes.

Other filters work and I am wondering  why this happens. I just saw that there is an update available. I will install it now and try again. I have also resetted the preferences with no success....

Maybe you have another idea.

Thanks and best regards

OEGI_SZ