8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 4:27 PM by JS4653 RSS

How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?

Camie62 Community Member

Is there a plug in needed or how does one get the photos from Canon EOS camera into Lightroom?  My come through looking distorted and noisy.

• 1. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?
          dj_paige Community Member

Distorted in what way? Can you show us a screen capture?

• 2. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?
            JimHess MVP

The first thing I would try is adjust one of the images until it looks right.  Remove the noise, and use the lens correction features and other adjustments to make it look the way you want it.  Then, save new camera defaults.  Those adjustments will then be applied whenever you import new images or click reset on images that have already been imported.

• 3. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?
              Camie62 Community Member

I should have put more detail, first time doing this.  I am importing a RAW file, someone mentioned it was due to Lightroom not being able to read it correctly.

I haven't been able to get the noise out of it.

I was told I had to transfer to a JPG first but I don't deal with JPG, I want to edit and change to a TIFF for printing. 

• 4. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?
                Keith_Reeder Community Member

Still not clear what the problem is - Lightroom should have no problem with 60D files.

OK: which version of Lr? And are the 60D files at high ISO?

• 5. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?

Whoever it is that is telling you these things is not correct.

Lightroom should have no trouble reading 60D files.

Is the noise the only issue? You mentioned distortion. Is that an issue too? Can you describe the distortion?

So both Keith and I are asking for a lot more information.

• 6. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?
                    Camie62 Community Member

Ok, full story...

I have a Canon EOS 60D and was editing in DPP software that came with the camera. 

I wanted more editing options so I bought Lightroom.

All of a sudden photos that look good at home were being sent to printer and I was being told they couldn't print them at all. If I take the exact same photo, import it into the DPP software and edit it to look good on my computer and send it to the same printer they print it with no issues.

I was selling on Deposit Photos some, now they won't even accept my photos the quality is so bad. But again, same photo edited in DPP they accept again.

THere are two issues I am having, the one going to the printer or deposit photos is they leave my computer looking bright and good to me and get to the other site so dark you can't see the photo at all.

The biggest issue I have been noticing is if I shoot with 200, 320 or 400 ISO, they look very fuzzy and I thought pixelated at first.  After reading forums with other Canon users having the same issue, people are saying it isn't true pixelation.  That the real problem is Lightroom not being able to intrepret the data so they look like there is a lot of noise and I have a bad picture.

Before reading forums, I had also emailed Canon to see if there was an issue with my camera.  This was Canon's reply.... If you are recording RAW image files, are you using the Canon software to convert them to jpg or a third party program?  Sometimes programs like Lightroom and Photoshop do not interpret the files correctly and the result could be noise or a colorshift.  Please make sure that you are using the latest version of the RAW plugin for which ever software application you are using, or try using the Digital Photo Professional software included on the EOS Solution disk.

I use Lightroom 4 and it has been updated regularly to the latest updates as they come out.

I shoot in RAW only and never shoot above 400 ISO, usually 160-320 range.

I have taken the same photos at 400 ISO and opened them in the DPP software and there is no noise at all, nice and clear.  I am only having this issue when I put them into Lightroom.

I would really prefer to edit in LIghtroom as you have a lot more creative options there but there has to be something I need to do that they work in Lightroom as they do in DPP.  I have also used NERO in the past with no issues.  The printer person I send to is accepting them in Photoshop.

Do I need to purchase some sort of plugin to have them work in Lightroom? Distortion was a bad choice of word, more fuzzy noise look then true distortion, sorry about that confusion.

Thanks

Ann

• 7. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?

Gee, it sure would help if you showed us an example of what such a photo looks like.

All of a sudden photos that look good at home were being sent to printer and I was being told they couldn't print them at all.

We ask for details, but there are none here that we can use. "Couldn't print them"?? Why?

What was your workflow? How did you edit this photo? What settings did you use on export from Lightroom?

now they won't even accept my photos the quality is so bad.

Exactly what does "Quality is so bad" mean?

Again, what was your workflow? How did you edit the photo? What settings did you use on export?

It sure would be nice if you could show us an example.

• 8. Re: How do you import photos from a Canon EOS 60d into Lightroom without distortion of photos?
                        JS4653 Community Member

I'm a 60D user. No problems whatsoever. The RAW images import just fine. No extra noise of artifacts, etc.

You need to provide more details like other's have asked. Include a screen capture.