10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 8:38 AM by Tommyvincent

Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?

Tommyvincent Level 1

Yesterday my camera person took 20 shots of about 30 seconds each. This time, after a lot of experimentation, everything was right - the backdrop, the lighting, the audio. This morning I put the memory card into my computer and went through the usual routine: Add Media/Get videos from Flip, AVCHD Cameras or other Memory Disk devices/Video Importer.

So far so good. All the clips looked fine in the Video Importer. But when I clicked Get Media, I got "Import Errors, Error Message: File alread exits at C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\"

I clicked OK and I was on the PrE11 editing screen but with no clips to edit on the timeline.

When we shot the clips yesterday, there was nothing else on the memory card. Where is the problem and how can I solve it?

• 1. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

I think we ran into this issue before. It may have been with you or another.

I am almost sure that you will find your files alread saved to the hard drive at

C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\"

and the program (Video Importer) is refusing to import them a second time.

If that is the case, we can explore what is happening. Then we can look at the workflow that you are using and how many times you click the Get Media tab in the Video Importer. Are you finding the Video Importer generating its thumbnails for your imports slowly?

ATR

• 2. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... when you import (and remove???) from your memory card, does your camera then start over with the same file names? (such as file001, file002, etc... each time)

If your camera DOES start over, you need to import to a different folder... or move the previous, same named files, out of your default location to a different folder

• 3. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
              Tommyvincent Level 1

We did run into this issue once before. I thought that perhaps the problem was with my camcorder and the computer. I bought a new computer and a new Canon Vixia HFR300 camcorder. But now the same problem has emerged.

I had no problem getting the first four sets of clips into the timeline and editing them. But now this error message and I don't know what to do. I'll look at the file names tomorrow. I hope I can find them. Where do I look?

I clicked the Media tab in the Video Importer twice only because I got the error message the first time. The Video Importer generated the thumbnails both times fast and they played perfectly.

How can I delete that file in C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\? If I can do that maybe it would be possible to get my current clips into the timeline and edit them. But I'm depressed about the whole thing. This problem might happen over and over again unless I can get to the root of it.

• 4. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Tommy,

For tapeless media, I like to Copy the full folder structure from the SD card, and locate that, as I need - often within the Project's folder hierarchy, with a shoot date appended to it. That allows me to then Import (Get/Add Media) with PrE, but I do not have to worry about overwriting anything, and know that the card can be reformatted for later use.

Not sure if that would work for you too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

You wrote

How can I delete that file in C:\Users\Tommy\Videos\? If I can do that maybe it would be possible to get my current clips into the timeline and edit them. But I'm depressed about the whole thing. This problem might happen over and over again unless I can get to the root of it.

Make sure you have copies remaining in the camera or on its SD card.

Then go to the ....\Tommy\Videos\ and delete the Video Folder's media that you want to get in via the Video Importer. The deletions will go into the Recycle Bin. Leave them there. Do not delete the Recycle Bin. Then give the import of those files from the SD card another try via that Video Importer route.

Do not hit the Get Media button more than once, even if you get an error message.

Instead, go to ...\Tommy\Videos\ and find out if your media got put there in spite of the error message.

Then we will take it from there to decide what next. We can always restore the deleted files in the Recycle Bin later if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                    Tommyvincent Level 1

Bill Hunt, I don't understand this - "I like to Copy the full folder structure from the SD card, and locate that, as I need - often within the Project's folder hierarchy."

I need help in doing what you suggest. I don't know what the full folder structure of the SD card is; and I don't know what you mean by the Project's folder hierarchy.

And, ATR, I can't find the video clips in the C:\User\Tommy\Video\ in order to delete them. I have Windows 7. I'm sure you could give me a hint on how to find the files or folder.

You're both probably rolling your eyes and thinking - born yesterday. I'm really frustrated, though, not being able to get beyond this starting point.

• 7. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill Hunt, I don't understand this - "I like to Copy the full folder structure from the SD card, and locate that, as I need - often within the Project's folder hierarchy."

From most cameras' SD cards, there will be a folder structure, that will contain the media files themselves, plus some metadata files.

Also, as many cameras use the same exact file names, for different shoots, I find that keeping the data from the SD cards separate (rather than just combining them), by say Date Shot, or by a Scene Name, and then Importing the media files via Get/Add Media, to be the best course of action. PrE will read that metadata, when it Imports the media files, and that can be important. Many issues, such as no Audio, can occur, if one does not have the metadata files available, and then they do not Import correctly.

Also, by just doing a Copy of the card's full folder structure, allows me to immediately reuse that SD card - I have everything on my HDD.

Good luck, and hope that makes sense.

Hunt

PS - we are actually praising you for sticking with this thread, and working along with us - not one negative thought!

• 8. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think these are for Premiere Pro, but the information is the same on folder structure

Metadata contained in folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

-and http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html

Read Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

• 9. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tommyvincent

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification. Glad you did. There are other routes, but, based on our history on this, I think this should help.

Based on the header information Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit

Tommy1.JPG

and the corresponding information below the headers...

Tommy.jpg

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Import Errors, Error Message - What can I do?
                            Tommyvincent Level 1

Even though I've done no deleting of clips yet, I'm optimistic about getting my new clips on the timeline so that I can edit them. I hope I'm not being too presumptuous in asking you a series of questions here. I'd like to get some answers before I do anything.

First of all, I made the mistake of dragging photos to the PrE 11 Organizer. I know I messed up the hierarchical folder structure. Here is now what it looks like and where my two sets of 16 offending clips are:

My Pictures (No files from this folder have been imported into Elements Organizer.)

My Videos (Here are my 2 sets of 16 clips shot last week.)

Computer

C:

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

10.00 (PrE10 and Photoshop were preinstalled on my new computer. Should I delete them?)

Music

Users

Tommy

Faces (I have no idea why this folder is here but I can't delete it.)

Files (I have about 15 groups of photo files in the Faces folder.)

Videos (In this folder are the same 2 sets of 16 clips as listed above.)

I can delete these photos from the Catalog and there is a box to check that would "Also delete selected item(s) from the hard disk."

Following A.T.R's advice, I also see these same video clips in Tommy/MyVideos/ folder. I could delete them from there also. When I right-clicked on a clip I saw these properties: AVCHD video (MTS), Opens with Windows Media Player. The clips are labeled - 00000, 00001, and up to 00032.

All these clips had a big "K" on the corner. After I got rid of Nero Kwik Media yesterday, the K is now gone.

So my question is: How should I get rid of the 32 clips so that perhaps my new clips could be inserted on the PrE timeline without getting that error message?

Bill Hunt's "How to structure Project folders" looks like something I should understand but at my present level of knowledge it seems too advanced. It would be like my trying to explain cascading style sheets to someone creating his first website. His eyes would glaze over.

The memory card I use is: SanDisk Ultra, 30MB/s,16GB, SDHC1.

I have a feeling that your answers will clarify everything.