9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2015 8:13 PM by petermetzger RSS

Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....

Mark Morreau ACP

Does anyone know if an older Mackie Control Universal (MCU) with just MIDI and not USB connectors would work with Premiere Pro CC? My soundcard, an Edirol / Roland UA-25EX has a MIDI in and Midi out connectors.

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
          MD Optofonik Community Member

No faders but this has been working for me as a transport controller. More ergonomic than keyboard shortcuts for certain things. Coupled with keyboard shortcuts it's pretty cool.

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

• 2. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
            Mark Morreau ACP

Thanks, I used to use one of them, but kind of went off it.

What Premiere Pro CC has introduced is proper control surface support, of the kind that people use in their DAWs, etc.

It's specifically fader control that I'm interested in: I want to be able to mix my audio tracks in Premiere in real time, and you just can't do that with a mouse! Or at least I can't!

• 3. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
              MD Optofonik Community Member

I know it's a workaround but can you import your audio files into your DAW and mix to picture there?

• 4. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
                Todd_Reeder Adobe Employee

PPro will work with the older MCU model when connected to a midi interface.  The Control Surface support will allow transport, fader and paner control, along with some predefined buttons.  This will work on both the clip and track mixer (though not at the same time).  There is also an option for user assignable function keys.  To engage Makie support, go to control support prefernces, click the add button and select Mackie in the Device Class popup menu (the button assignments are located in this window as well).  Then hit the settings button, click add and select your midi input and output devices then hit ok.  Control Surface should then be enabled for the Mackie.

Hope that helps,

Todd

• 5. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
                  Mark Morreau ACP

Thanks very much Todd. That was exactly what I wanted to know. Very helpful.

Cheers

Mark

• 6. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
                    Mark Morreau ACP

Just for fun I connected up a Korg NanoKontrol 2 to Premiere Pro CC (and Audition). So long as you don't install the Korg MidiUSB drivers but use the built in Windows ones it works fine with the little it does.
                    The transport controls work.
                    The mute and solo buttons work in the timeline and in the Audio Track Mixer.

The Faders work in the Audio Track Mixer, and you can achieve what I wanted to do, which was to do level adjustment while playing back the timeline. It's hard to do that with a mouse.
                    The panners work... after a fashion.

The NanoKontrol is hardly high-end professional kit, but for a few dollars it might be a workable tool for those who have an occasional need for fader control

• 7. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
                      DerekDevine01 Community Member

My Mackie control snaps the faders back to the bottom of the unit after using them. I would expect them to sync up with the position of the faders in Premiere. Is there something more to the set up I'm missing? I've tried both mackie control and logic control modes. I'm using a fastlane usb interface.

• 8. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
                        Jams CC Community Member

Hi Mark - I bought a NanoKontrol2 to be able to mix in Premiere Pro CC, but I'm having a nightmare trying to get it to work! Was hoping you could help me..

I'm on Mac.. I initially installed the Korg MidiUSB drivers. I uninstalled it (based on your advice) but it doesn't perform any better.. I've added the Control Surface under preferences as a Mackie device. Here's what happens when I switch to Audio Track or Clip Mixer:

The mute, solo, stop, play record buttons all do nothing. Markers do nothing. The sliders do nothing.

The fader knobs at the top sort of do something.. They mostly fade left/right in the opposite direction I turn them, and it's super imprecise. Difficult to get it back to center or anything.

What am I missing... is there a step by step procedure to setting up that I should follow (the instructions and other forums aren't helpful).

• 9. Re: Now that we have control surface support in Premiere Pro CC....
                          petermetzger Community Member

Any luck with this? I'm having almost the same thing happen, except that my knobs do a different type of sort of something: In my case they appear to do nothing but they do cause a * to show up in the top bar indicating unsaved changes. I've also noticed that it only does this for the first three knobs (which makes sense since I have three channels of audio active in my test project/sequence). I've tried with Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 and 2015, with and without the Korg drivers, and in various nanoKontrol2 modes (press set + different keys when plugging in to set different modes. Default is "set+cycle" but "set+rewind" and "set+stop" are also modes).

I'm not familiar enough with the proper etiquette for this forum; would it be worth creating a new thread for this issue since it's notably different from the original question and has been some time since then, or should discussion stay here since others have mentioned this topic?

[[EDIT]]

okay, some weird stuff is happening here. I did some more testing and it appears that the controls do actually affect playback even though the input is not registered in the UI. I'm currently using the Windows driver, Korg nanoKONTROL2 set to mackie mode as far as I can tell (set+rewind), Premiere Pro CC 2015. The transport controls are working, solo/mute/record enable seems to be working fine, and the sliders are working well for volume adjustment EXCEPT the changes made there are only reflected in playback, that is, I can hear the levels changing but I don't see the sliders moving in the audio clip mixer. Because of this I also can't record keyframes and can't tell what the fader value is actually set to (-0db, -6db, etc) making the functionality essentially useless. The pan knobs do work, though if I get too far one direction or the other it will "stick" to that side and I won't be able to smoothly pan back until I go almost all the way to the other side which causes the pan value to sort of snap out of where it had been stuck. Again there is no indication in the UI that any changes are being made except the * showing up to say I have unsaved changes.