5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 1:44 PM by Mark_Rausch

Edge Inspect not compatible with HP Slade 7

Van Helvoirt

I tryed to install Edge Inspect on my new HP Slade 7 but Google Play tells me it is not compatible :-(

Why is it not supported and will it be in the near future?

Regards,

Pieter

• 1. Re: Edge Inspect not compatible with HP Slade 7
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi Pieter,

Sorry Edge Inspect doesn't work with the HP Slate 7. I'm not sure why it's not compatible... we don't control what devices are listed as compatible with Edge Inspect, we simply update the manifest file with the Android features we're using and the Android store decides which devices are or are not compatible based on the manifest file. We can't test on every possible device device out there, and the HP Slate is one we've never had a chance to try.

One of the features we use that has caused problems with other devices in the past is location services (which we include because they might be required by pages users want to look at in Edge Inspect). Does your device support GPS/location services?

Regardless, you might still be able to put Edge Inspect onto your device and give it a try to see if it will work despite what the Android store says. Check out this article on sideloading http://www.androidcentral.com/what-sideloading-android-z and see if that can help you out.

Other than that, without knowing why the Android store is saying the Slate isn't compatible, there's nothing we can do on our side to try and make sure we're compatible with it.

Hope this helps,
          Mark

• 2. Re: Edge Inspect not compatible with HP Slade 7
            Van Helvoirt Level 1

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response on this topic. The Slade 7 does support GPS/location services.

I have tried to setup the device for sideloading but HP has removed the option to allow applications to be installed from other sources than Google Play Store. I can not find the setting in the applications settings.

I am demonstrating Edge Tools and Services to customers very regularly and wanted to use the HP Slade 7, next to my iPhone and iPad, to show the advantages of Inspect,but for now the Slade 7 is useless.

Since this is a tool for developers why not let them decide on using the app or not, even if their device is not fully compatible? If you know any other way to install Inspect I would love to hear it :-)

Regards,

Pieter

• 3. Re: Edge Inspect not compatible with HP Slade 7
              Van Helvoirt Level 1

Hello Mark,

I want to try to install Inspect through sideloading but where can I download the installer Inspect.apk?

Regards,

Pieter

• 4. Re: Edge Inspect not compatible with HP Slade 7
                Van Helvoirt Level 1

Hi Mark,

Replying my own messages, I managed to sideload Edge Inspect on the HP Slate 7 and IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

There is no reason for Google Play to reject the Slate 7 from installing it!

Thanks.

Regards, Pieter

• 5. Re: Edge Inspect not compatible with HP Slade 7
                  Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Good to know, thanks for following up Pieter.

I'll see if we can't work through our contact to the Play store and try to find out why it doesn't allow installation and if there's some way we can work with them to change that.

Mark