8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 1:57 PM by Josh_Corey

How do you create expanding text boxes

DevonLMC

I am looking to create a PDF form in forms central with expandable text boxes when a person answers the free text question. I have tried using multiple lines which gives you a scroll box. Is there a way around this?

• 1. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

I am updating my response - I realize the question could be asking a few different things.

Is your question about a user filling out a PDF form and the box growing as you type more text than fits the size?

Or is the question related to the PDF responses you download from the View Responses tab?

There is no way for us to create an expandable text box in the PDF, the multi-line text field as you noted scrolls but will not expand as it does in a web page.  You can make the multi-line text fields as large as you want in FormsCental, but they will be that size with scrolling in PDF.

If you are looking to print the PDF responses and have all of the text input print, you can print everything (it will not look like the form, but will contain all of the form data) by going to the "View Responses" tab and clicking the "View" button and clicking "Row Details":

Row Details.png

When you print the "Row Details" it will print all of the data.

UPDATE: There has been an update to the application.  Now when you "Download Response as PDF Form" from the View Response tab Response table, the text fields all expand to fit the text.

I hope one of those answered your question;-)

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes
            beverlym

How do you do this on a Mac? I cannot find the View Responses you referenced above.

• 3. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes

Actually we released a feature a while back where the text boxes automatically expand to fit the text when you download a Response as a PDF form, you should not need to do the steps above.  Is that what you are trying to do, download a response as a PDF?

If you can't see a tab called "View Responses" it sounds like you may not be the author of the form or are viewing the fillable/HTML form and not the form in "authoring" mode, meaning you are signed into the application. 

Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do?

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes
                beverlym Level 1

Thanks for responding!

I am the author. I am signed into FormsCentral. I just updated it.

Here's what I see on my screen:

Regards,

Beverly

Beverly Magley, Projects Director

National Institute on Money in State Politics

833 N. Last Chance Gulch

Helena, MT 59601

phone 406-449-2480 ext. 120  €  fax 406-457-2091

www.FollowTheMoney.org <http://www.FollowTheMoney.org>

• 5. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes
                  beverlym Level 1

Oh! And while I have your attention, Josh, is there a way to connect two

forms, i.e. For our performance appraisals the employee fills out a form and

so does the supervisor. They are essentially the same, with the supervisor

needing a few more things such as ratings and etc.

Can the supervisor import the employee's answers into the supervisor's form,

then add their own notes to it and perhaps have some extra questions or

radio buttons or whatever that just the supe fills out?

Thanks,

Beverly

Beverly Magley, Projects Director

National Institute on Money in State Politics

833 N. Last Chance Gulch

Helena, MT 59601

phone 406-449-2480 ext. 120  €  fax 406-457-2091

www.FollowTheMoney.org <http://www.FollowTheMoney.org>

• 6. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes

A screen shot would be great, but I don't see an image, try adding it again...

Josh

• 7. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes
                      beverlym Level 1

Attached again.

• 8. Re: How do you create expanding text boxes

Still no image, are you using the little camera icon to add an image?  You can email it to jcorey@adobe.com

Two forms cannot be connected, the work flow you are describing is not supported.

Thanks,

Josh